My trip clear around the world

I already know the meaning of the word :). One does not have to circumnavigate the globe to visit a country!
Apparently you do not. Go back and read your post 30, which was in response to Chef's post that equated "going clear around the world" and "circumnavigating the globe". You said "no, they are not!"...

Seriously, I don't understand why this even needs to be said.

That would be quite a trip. Many people don't know that Europe extends clear to the Ural mountains, well east of Moscow. However, if you ever make it to Istanbul you'd be right on top of the Europe/Asian line. Istanbul is a transcontinental city. Partly in Europe , partly in Asia
I saw a monument online once, long ago, and it was somewhere in Russia. But it was a big round stone looking thing with a woman and an ox standing beside of it. One side, the left I believe, had EUROPE chiseled into it and the other side said ASIA. I looked and I can't find the picture but just as you said, there are many of a monument in the Ural mountains. I've seen the line that separates the Northern and Southern hemispheres in Ecuador though and I'm headed back there soon. I like off the wall things like that, probably because I'm a little off the wall myself. Happy travels!

Apparently you do not. Go back and read your post 30, which was in response to Chef's post that equated "going clear around the world" and "circumnavigating the globe". You said "no, they are not!"...

Seriously, I don't understand why this even needs to be said.
A true circumnavigation of the Earth must: start and finish at the same point, traveling in one general direction, reach two antipodes, cross the equator, cross all longitudes, cover a minimum of 40,000km. If you have done that then you have circumnavigated. :)

In 1933 Wiley Post flew clear around the world, touching down only a few times and in only a few countries. If memory serves, he flew non-stop from NYC to Berlin and non-stop from Berlin to Moscow. a few more stops in the Soviet Union and on to Alaska. From Alaska to NYC. Thus he CIRCUMNAVIGATED THE GLOBE. In other words, he flew clear around the world.
PS: in order to go clear around the world, ie circumnavigate the globe, it is NOT necessary to stop at any certain number of countries. As a matter of fact, it is NOT necessary to stop at ANY country. Nuclear submarines routinely circumnavigate the globe ie go clear around the world, without ever stopping at ANY country OR even surfacing.
I grow weary trying to explain this very simple fact.

Quote from Wikipedia:
"Aviation records take into account the wind circulation patterns of the world and in particular the jet streams, which circulate in the northern and southern hemispheres without crossing the equator. There is therefore no requirement to cross the equator, or to pass through two antipodal points.
Thus, for example, Steve Fossett's global circumnavigation by balloon was contained entirely within the southern hemisphere.".

My circumnavigation of the globe was entirely within the Northern hemisphere.

Maybe there, yes. I’ll be close to there soon, hopefully. I’m relocating to Ecuador to begin with but I’d like to visit Antarctica, Iceland and all f the countries in Scandinavia too. I’d also really like to see the spot where Europe and Asia come together too. Just a trip off the well beaten path, I guess.
Oh, take me with you to Ecuador, pleeeeez... I think it's about the most perfect country on earth and I'd move there in a flash except I'd have to leave the Spousal Equivalent back in Florida. Bummer.

I've straddled the so-called equator at the park in Quito, like a million other tourists. Problem is, the equator is actually several hundred feet over yonder in a ravine. It's make a great t-shirt, though: "MY GRANDMA BROKE HER LEG IN BOTH THE NORTH AND SOUTH HEMISPHERE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID T-SHIRT!". The place out west where four states come together out isn't in exactly the right spot either. Can't those clowns get anything right? LOL. I'm a sucker for tourist traps.

As for round the world flights, the old Pan Am flights 1 and 2 were da bomb. 1 headed east out of New York, 2 headed west, same cities. I always wanted to hide away and stay on the plane but alas I'd always have to get off in Istanbul or New York. Triple bummer.

Maybe in another lifetime, in an alternate universe, in a galaxy far, far away, I'll get to stay on the plane.....

Sad that the OP, who was sharing his travel adventures with us in the Travel forum, gets attacked by folks who want to quibble about terminology. I wonder why that is.
Yes, indeed . Quite sad. All I wanted to do was to share my travels with those interested in travel. So, what happens ? I get attacked. Very sad indeed.

IMO as they say, its not about the destination, its about the journey.
Yup

another poster of mine comes to mind;

c4o4H6t.jpg

It is more awe-inspiring to see the pyramids from the outside. Going in one is not as exciting as you might think. They are cramped and claustrophobic, and reek of mould, and there is nothing to see but a lot of rubble. I have been there!
I see how cramped they are, I wouldn't go in one, its the thought of seeing them in person after hearing all about them for years.

I have a replica of the equator monument that I bought in Ecuador. The nice part was it was filled with a local liquor. I also have a replica of the Europe/Asia monument near Novosibirsk I visited on my Trans Siberian train trip
ural.jpg

Back