Nasal Irrigation Systems

Uptosnuff

Has or does anyone use nasal irrigation systems like Navage? I have post nasal drip. I'm not sure what it's caused by, could be allergies. I'm getting to the point I can't breath at night when I lie down in bed. Am not getting good sleep and I think it's due to this problem.

I use a netti pot occasionally but they are kind of a pain and I want something that maybe flushes better and clears everything out better.

Any suggestions?

Yes! I’ve used Netti Pots, Navage , Vick’s Inhaler and the Mabis Steam Inhaler. I’ve got allergies and a bad ear which gets infected often so found the Navage a bit worrisome since it was affecting my inner ear but it did work well.

The cons to using this one is that you have to buy the pre-packed distilled water which is expensive and a rip off. If you go online it tells you how to bypass this.

The Vick’s Inhaier is good for the money. You can purchase menthol strips or add your own strips with peppermint / tea tree oil etc.

The cons:the unit gets hot and can melt the mask part that your face sits on so it doesn’t fit right any more.

Netti Pots work well but are a bit messy but probably the cheapest of them all.

Mabis Inhaler - you can add your own oils to the reservoir which is nice.

Cons: positioning on steam isn’t as effective as some of the others.

Vick’s stick inhaler and dristan nasal spray I use occasionally also. If I’m really bad I take an antihistamine which I don’t like taking cause it makes me tired and slows me down.

Yes! I’ve used Netti Pots, Navage , Vick’s Inhaler and the Mabis Steam Inhaler. I’ve got allergies and a bad ear which gets infected often so found the Navage a bit worrisome since it was affecting my inner ear but it did work well.

The cons to using this one is that you have to buy the pre-packed distilled water which is expensive and a rip off. If you go online it tells you how to bypass this.

The Vick’s Inhaier is good for the money. You can purchase menthol strips or add your own strips with peppermint / tea tree oil etc.

The cons:the unit gets hot and can melt the mask part that your face sits on so it doesn’t fit right any more.

Netti Pots work well but are a bit messy but probably the cheapest of them all.

Mabis Inhaler - you can add your own oils to the reservoir which is nice.

Cons: positioning on steam isn’t as effective as some of the others.

Vick’s stick inhaler and dristan nasal spray I use occasionally also. If I’m really bad I take an antihistamine which I don’t like taking cause it makes me tired and slows me down.
Wow! Nose and throat companies ought to be hiring you to test their products, Keesha! :)

@Aunt Marg That looks interesting. I like that it's low tech, no working parts to break and seems easy to use. I might have to check that out the next time I'm in Walmart. Thanks!
You are most welcome, Uptosnuff.

Right you are, it's simple to use, no-fuss to clean, etc, and it's quick.

The sensation of the water going in one nostril and coming out the other takes a little getting used to I must say, but it does feel good afterwards, and being that we're coming up to the fall season, I can't think of a better time to get onboard with something that works for you.

I would just love for you to post a follow-up to this started thread (when you have a chance), regardless of what you choose to go with. As with Keesha's rundown of the number of things she's tried, it's always refreshing to learn about other options.

@Keesha I've never really thought about inhalers. Do they really clean the passages out though? Or do they just make your sinuses feel good for a while?

BTW, thanks for the run down on all the sinus products.

@Keesha I've never really thought about inhalers. Do they really clean the passages out though? Or do they just make your sinuses feel good for a while?
They with very well. The sinuses are all connected. The spaces go behind your eyes , all around your nose and your inner ears. By breathing in healing mist it gets inhaled through your nose and mouth so your sinuses are opened up and cleansed. They actually do help clean them out. Seriously!

I’ve got the a Netti pot salt envelopes which are good.

Aunt Marge, I will do a follow up on this post on what I decided to go with and how well it works. I am seriously thinking about getting that NeilMed tomorrow. I will let you know what I think.

I use a netti pot every night and have good luck with it. Mine is ceramic and goes into the dishwasher right after I use it. The Neilmed salt packets are convenient. The Neilmed squeeze bottle put too much pressure on my ears and it cannot be cleaned every day.
All we do with our bottles, Pecos, is give the tops a good washing, other than that, a quick rinse, and they're good to go for the next round.

Aunt Marge, I will do a follow up on this post on what I decided to go with and how well it works. I am seriously thinking about getting that NeilMed tomorrow. I will let you know what I think.
Uptosnuff. I have a wonderful homemade nasal solution recipe tucked away somewhere, so when the little packets run out, you can make your own flushing solution.

I'll look for it tomorrow for you.

Boiled water (allowed to cool), baking soda, and table salt, just can't remember the ratios.

@Keesha Well, I think I'm going on my nasal cleansing journey tomorrow. I'll try different things until I find one I'm comfortable with and that really works for me. Good info you gave me.

@ Aunt Marge I have seen that recipe also but can never remember it!
Good for you. That journey you are taking is the same one I took last year and it has made a huge improvement. The Vick’s unit is the cheapest. Some of the units I took back since I had so much time to try them. I just made sure to keep all my receipts.
Good luck.

@ Aunt Marge I have seen that recipe also but can never remember it!
Here is what sounds to be a great homemade nasal flush recipe similar to mine.

My recipe utilized Kosher Salt as well, so I like the sounds of this one.

- 3 teaspoons of non-iodized salt (Kosher salt with no additives is best)
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda.

Store mixture in a glass container or jar. When ready to use, mix 1 teaspoon of the mixture into 8 ounces of distilled, sterile, or previously boiled and cooled water.

I'm going to give this recipe a try this week, Uptosnuff, and I'll let you know how it compares to my original recipe.

I use hydraSense. You can choose the stream (I use Full Stream). Just put on the applicator and use. It's simple and you learn how much pressure to use for the flow you require. It lasts a long time.
hydraSense.JPG

i have a plunger that you can use for nose or ears--i just use salt and warm water-it does the job for me

That's what I use as well. I like that I can control the pressure and it's easy to clean.

images

uptostuff---you know when you get a shot they press the plunger with their thumb---well the doo hikey i bought is for your ears--or nose--if you go to the drug store they should be over where the ear suringes are

Back