Nearly 50 people contracted coronavirus after fellowship event at a small church in Maine

Win, if you wrote the above as satire, it's pretty funny. Good indictment of those who (mainly for political reasons) still refuse to accept the reality of this killer disease.

But when it comes down to it, there is nothing funny about this disease, or what it has done to the world. Maybe it's time to stop trying for "humor", and start responding like a serious adult.
Maryland is part of the U.S. The U.S. is a free country, which means you are free to not laugh at anything you don't find funny - just as others are free to laugh at what they do find funny. :)

Just how, exactly, does the national media get hold of stories like this? I mean, it's local, very local, and yet it makes its way to the national media. lIs it true? Is it made up? How would we know? Awfully convenient, if you ask me. Who's going to fact check? But it does fit the current taalking point of the surge in cases, so... must be true.

The NY Times reports on cases by county and I assume that other news outlets have access to the same data they are reporting. This is only conjecture, but I'm willing to bet that national news outlets look for big increases in cases by county. It's likely that the county the church is in had an increase large enough for someone at CNN or one of the other news outlets to take a look into the increase to find out what happened. It probably only takes a dozen or so phone calls to get to the right people who have at least some idea of what happened. Once they have that they would probably do a check to verify the sources of the information and if it checks out they put out the story.

I just don't know if CNN was the original source of the information or if some other news organization put it out and CNN just picked it up and put out a story of their own.

Back