Need a dental plan.....

Taxpayers would pay for it. Apparently there is plenty of taxpayer money to blow, so why not a little for people on Medicare. Where would you rather see tax money go? To wealthy politicians jetting to resorts around the world or to you and your relatives on Medicare?

Taxpayers would pay for it. Apparently there is plenty of taxpayer money to blow, so why not a little for people on Medicare. Where would you rather see tax money go? To wealthy politicians jetting to resorts around the world or to you and your relatives on Medicare?
No, I'd rather it stay in OUR pockets.

You can say the same thing about every dollar of taxpayer money spent by the government. It needs to stop. There is no constitutional basis for much of what is spent, including requiring us to pay for and use social security and medicare.

As one of the taxpayers, I object to the constant increase in what we spend. The deficit under Trump has gone up even faster than Obama. It needs to stop somewhere. Taxation is theft. Inflating the money supply causes inflation which is theft.

Rick

There are no college dental schools any where near here so a "real" dentist is the only option. Besides, I went to a "teaching" dentist several years ago when we lived in another state and he was terribly rough. I never went back. We live close to MX and a LOT of seniors go down there for dental work because it's cheap but that's not an option for me, either o_O

Are you serious?

🙄

Regarding your phrase "real dentists", WHERE do you think those dentists got their training and degrees?

As far as Mexico, I haven't been there for dentistry but I know several people who have gone there for implants and they are extremely pleased.

Last edited:
I noticed that this year my Medicare supplement plan is offering dental insurance for an additional $29.00/month with a $1,000.00 annual benefit cap. When I read the fine print it sounds like they have negotiated lower rates with dentists who accept the plan as a way to generate additional business as opposed to a traditional insurance plan.

IMO it would be better for most people to self insure by setting aside the premiums in a savings account. Also keeping a credit card clear to make the initial payment to the dentist if sufficient money has not been put aside for the work required and paying the balance off monthly. Finally, I would encourage anyone to negotiate with a dentist when extensive work is involved. The dentist may offer an alternative treatment or a discount of some kind.

Shop around, there are excellent dentists that don’t overcharge...plus give discounts. I started seeing a new one after my long time dentist retired. This guy is phenomenal, he has an in house CNC. It takes about an hour and is $300 cheaper for an all ceramic crown that is precision fitted. I just wish I had changed years ago.

In my state BC/BS advantage has a dental plan for 2020. Its additional cost is way to high for what you get.

Under our basic BC/BS Medicare plan we get one free vision exam a year.

The good news is the cost of our basic plan, with the same coverage went form $85 a month to $40 a month.

I'm in kind of a pickle because I have dental insurance through my employer that pays absolutely zero for anything beyond fillings, x-rays and cleanings. I now need a crown and a partial bridge. I thought, how much could they possibly be? I thought maybe $350 for the crown. Wrong! My dentist wants $1,750 for the crown, and $3,300 for the bridge. Money I don't have, I might add. So I don't know what I'm going to do.

Thanks for the info! I had NO idea. Maybe I'll just take that money I was going to spend on a monthly plan and just put it away for when I need it :)

I've always had good teeth and only had a couple fillings over the years and, since I'm a big coward (because I've had some really bad experiences!) about dentists, I haven't gone much to a dentist for regular "maintenance". But a few months ago I had an infected gum and found out I need 2 teeth pulled!! I've been putting it off but I can tell it's got to be done. :(
That’s what I’ve been doing I have a savings account just for my teeth I do have dental insurance but it only pays a small amount every year pretty useless when it comes to root canals and crowns

I had a fair amount of dental work done late last year...a partial to replace old root canals, etc., that had finally failed. I maxed out my dental insurance, and paid over $500 out of pocket. I had plenty of time to talk to the dentist and his staff about dental insurance, and they all agreed that there really isn't Any plan out there that covers more than minor/routine procedures. A major share of insurance premiums is spent on paperwork and administrative costs, under present plans. I think most people would find that setting a few dollars a month aside for dental work, and dealing directly with the dentist would probably work out as well, or better, than most dental insurance....after all, the dentist wouldn't have to have someone on the staff spending all day handling insurance paperwork, and phone calls.

I'm in kind of a pickle because I have dental insurance through my employer that pays absolutely zero for anything beyond fillings, x-rays and cleanings. I now need a crown and a partial bridge. I thought, how much could they possibly be? I thought maybe $350 for the crown. Wrong! My dentist wants $1,750 for the crown, and $3,300 for the bridge. Money I don't have, I might add. So I don't know what I'm going to do.
I'd use I-Dental. They pay about 20% on a crown. Have you thought about having a partial instead of a bridge? I've had one for many years and like it. Infection can be a problem with bridges.

https://www.healingteethnaturally.com/dental-bridges-placement-risks-complications.html

I had plenty of time to talk to the dentist and his staff about dental insurance, and they all agreed that there really isn't Any plan out there that covers more than minor/routine procedures.
Over the years I've spent a fair amount of time researching dental plans to no avail. Could never find any worth a hill of beans. Given what your dentist's office says, that's probably because there isn't one. Useful to know.

It's really quite simple - & doesn't require any business knowledge.
The ONLY reason dental insurers are in business is to make money.
The ONLY way they can make money is if they make more money on the premiums than they spend on your dental care. Much like home warranties & car warranties.
So, your treatment will be based on what is profitable for the insurer - not your health.

It's really quite simple - & doesn't require any business knowledge.
The ONLY reason dental insurers are in business is to make money.
The ONLY way they can make money is if they make more money on the premiums than they spend on your dental care. Much like home warranties & car warranties.
So, your treatment will be based on what is profitable for the insurer - not your health.
Very wise advise..

Back