Need help making my home safer

AntAnt

Hi Everyone,,

Glad I found this website. I currently find myself living alone in sunny South Florida in a small single family home.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to make my home safer for slip and falls and "senior proofing" so it's safe? Has anyone used a service that helps with this? Any recommendations where I should look?

Maybe if you explain what you did to make your home safer, I can find inspiration. Thanks so much for your help.

Grab bars in every bathroom, tub area, toilet, etc.
Check smoke alarms
Fresh batteries on hand for flashlights, etc.
Non-skid rugs
Non- slip flooring
Large rug/mats near sinks and tubs.

Welcome to the forum and be safe!
Thanks for the fast reply. Did you use a service or agency to tell you what you needed? Or go to walmart or cvs? thanks again

Thanks for the fast reply. Did you use a service or agency to tell you what you needed? Or go to walmart or cvs? thanks again

My initial list was just what I was taught about safety thoughout my life.
Then, I just searched the Internet for Home Safety For Seniors, or words to that effect.

I'll bet your local senior center will have literature on safety you will find useful.:)

Even if you don't need them now, get bannister rails installed on both sides of the stairs.. I got my husband to install them after I had herniated discs in my lower back some years ago, and they've been an absolute boon helping me upstairs when my back is bad, or even more recently when my kneecap became displaced !!

Equally a handrail on the wall in the shower..not one using a suction grip, but a proper one screwed into the wall.!!

Get rid of loose rugs which can cause trips and falls.. . or use a good rug sticker to attach them firmly to the floor..

I'm not in the USA..so I can't help with recommendations for service providers..

Welcome to the forum.. tho'...

Welcometogroup.gif

G
Even if you don't need them now, get bannister rails installed on both sides of the stairs.. I got my husband to install them after I had herniated discs in my lower back some years ago, and they've been an absolute boon helping me upstairs when my back is bad, or even more recently when my kneecap became displaced !!

Equally a handrail on the wall in the shower..not one using a suction grip, but a proper one screwed into the wall.!!

Get rid of loose rugs which can cause trips and falls.. . or use a good rug sticker to attach them firmly to the floor..

I'm not in the USA..so I can't help with recommendations for service providers..

Welcometogroup.gif
great ideas, thanks

Pets, as wonderful as they are, can also be deadly. We share the old homestead with our daughter's family. Plenty of room for all of us but there are 2 dogs and 2 cats roaming about and although neither of us has fallen over them, we do stumble occasionally when they're "underfoot". Or on the cellar stairs, one of the cats will shoot by and avoiding him or his tail can be exciting at the moment.

The most recent changes we made were to level out the sidewalks to eliminate trip hazards, and install handrails on the front steps. In previous years we modified the showers to make them safer and installed slip resistant flooring. This is a work in progress.

I am afraid that many builders seem to think that the people living in these homes will never get older that 45 or develop disabilities of one sort or another. Most of the changes that should be made are obvious, elementary and not that expensive.

Lots of good advice.

I think that you should also look at yourself and make sure that you exercise, eat a healthy diet, keep eyeglasses, hearing aids, etc... up to date. These things can help with balance and improve dexterity, range of motion, etc...

Also, think through what you need to do in the event of a trip and fall accident. Do you have a plan to get yourself back on your feet, contact a neighbor or emergency assistance? Maybe it's time to think about a medical alert device of some type. YouTube has some excellent videos for seniors that teach us how to get back on our feet after a fall on the floor or in the tub, get up out of a chair, etc...

Good luck!

There are NO rugs in my house that don't have rubber backing or anti-skid material under them. And NO thick rugs.
NO slippers, flip flops or any footwear that doesn't have a heel strap. (I'm surprised at how many elderly people don't understand this).
NO slippery floors. I use a Hurricaine-type spin mop that leaves the floor dry in a few seconds. NO waxes or polishes.
Chairs that are not stable are disposed of immediately.
I changed all my indoor & outdoor lighting to LED's. Bright, long lasting & cheap to leave on. Ideal for high fixtures that require use of a ladder to change bulbs. Haven't climbed a ladder in 4 years.
Several powerful flashlights & LED lanterns on hand for blackouts & any dimly-lit areas.

Edited to add: Many falls happen in the bathroom. Before stepping into the tub, test the bath mat to make sure it's stuck on properly. Mold develops under it & makes it slippery. Showers are safer than tubs - mine has those small tiles with lots of grout between them. They're never slippery even without a mat. And smooth, tile floors are not good in any room where there will be moisture. Rubber-backed rugs are good.
Kitchen: When using the stove, avoid those long, floppy sleeves found on robes.

Last edited:
My front room is my rehearsal studio for my band. The scores of cables on the floor, the tripod mic stand legs and guitar stands, all make for a fun obstacle course to keep me in good shape and thinking on my toes. Not recommended for the faint of heart, and a great example of what NOT to have in your home for safety's sake.

My front room is my rehearsal studio for my band. The scores of cables on the floor, the tripod mic stand legs and guitar stands, all make for a fun obstacle course to keep me in good shape and thinking on my toes. Not recommended for the faint of heart, and a great example of what NOT to have in your home for safety's sake.
Because you know the hazard is there, you are aware of it and sort of "plan your escape".
You probably have less problems than when something unexpected pops up or down.

In addition, I suggest choosing which items in each room, that you use most frequently,
and put those selected items, in places for you to reach most easily.
So you are not climbing up for them, etc

It sounds simple, but many of us have things in their old spots, or in the traditional places, including heavy items up in cupboards, and heavy awkward things taking up counter space,
or items used less frequently in front of items we use more often.

With some thought,
items could be rearranged, and moved to the easiest, most accessible places,
to avoid falling, hurting yourself, or dropping them.

Welcometogroup.gif

Yes, NOT the suction grip ones. Those do come loose. I know from personal experience that those are not safe and are worse than nothing!

Very interesting topic; the videos about getting up from a fall
should be seen by all seniors and shown at residences like
where I live. Having you cell phone nearby is an excellent suggestion
and I am going to take mine out of my purse right now.
A medical alert pendant is also a life saver and should be worn at
all times.
Thanks AntAnt for suggesting this topic and well to Senior Forums.

Back