Need HELP with computer purchase Please!

I've been delaying getting a new system, too. I'm using a clunky desktop running Windows 7, but hey, it still works most of the time. But it's like driving a dumptruck when everyone else has a Ferrari - slow but it will eventually get you there. I am concerend about learning how to operate a new computer - not like 20 years ago. So many more choices these days. Wi-fi or modem, memory, disk capacity, speed. What to choose?

I understand what youā€™re saying debodun. Iā€™m not in the least computer savy and find learning anything technical, frustrating , so donā€™t much like change, especially once Iā€™ve finally figured things out. Trying to figure out what to get was confusing.

I had no idea so I talked to the woman at Costco who suggested to try one and if I donā€™t like it bring it back. Itā€™s not often that you get the opportunity to try a computer and return it if itā€™s not what you are looking for.

I wish I could help you with your search but that would be like the blind leading the blind. Perhaps if you write down the things you are looking for it to do , someone else , who is knowledgeable about computers , might help. Hopefully they do.

Iā€™m fairly used to apple which is why I chose what I did and of course the return policy was ideal so hopefully this will work.

Do you shop at Costco or know anyone close who does? Best Buy is supposed to be good. Factory Direct has refurbished stuff for much cheaper.

My suggestion is to talk to others who know about computers. Unfortunately Iā€™m not one of them but good luck either way.

Ok today I went out and purchased an iPad Pro. When researched what Iā€™d need to use the garage band app, many people were very pleased with this. With over 2,200 five star reviews @ a 98% satisfaction record and 90 days to try it out, I figured I canā€™t go wrong. If this isnā€™t suitable Iā€™ll take it back and try something else. Thatā€™s the beauty of Costco. Yayyy. :love: Iā€™ve got it charging up right now.

I think that you will love the iPad Pro once you get used to using it. If you look in the Books app, Apple has free tutorial manuals for the ipad, and there are also a lot of great YouTube videos for anything you want to learn about using the iPad. Did you get the 11ā€ or the 12.9 inch one ?

If I can be of any help, be sure to PM me.
Here is the link for the Apple user guide from the Books app.

https://books.apple.com/us/book/ipad-user-guide/id1464778568

I think that you will love the iPad Pro once you get used to using it. If you look in the Books app, Apple has free tutorial manuals for the ipad, and there are also a lot of great YouTube videos for anything you want to learn about using the iPad. Did you get the 11ā€ or the 12.9 inch one ?

If I can be of any help, be sure to PM me.
Here is the link for the Apple user guide from the Books app.

https://books.apple.com/us/book/ipad-user-guide/id1464778568
Oh you are just awesome but be careful what you offer. Lol. You might regret that once I start asking questions. šŸ˜¬

The great thing is with this new SIM card and hotspot , is that now I can actually watch videos without it cutting into my data. I couldnā€™t watch many before and learning some things like Garage Band, you really need to watch the video so you can keep going back to absorb a bit at a time cause thereā€™s so much to learn and Iā€™m a real slow learner. Lol! Or even better, download it. Something I couldnā€™t do before.

Iā€™ve gotten it charged up now and have used it. Tonight I will work on Garage Band cause Iā€™d love to share some of my music with you. Iā€™m much better at communicating through music.

This is a 12.9 inch iPad. Now Iā€™d like to get a protective case for it but first make sure I like it.

What types of things do you do on yours or rather, what do you use yours for? From the reviews I read , this computer is supposed by great for the arts šŸŽ­. Apparently the graphics are supposed to be good. Iā€™m looking forward to learning how to use it.

Setting it up I felt like pulling all my hair out. All those questions and passwords . Awwwwwwwwww. šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļøšŸ˜

D22312E8-D857-4D33-9166-1A411B2D95A5.jpeg907498DA-1E47-4402-BC13-18E578710986.jpeg
I am excited though. Itā€™s like my new toy. šŸ˜

None I wouldn't have to make a trip to "the big city" to get. The one I'm using now I bought as a refurb from a computer fixit shop. I paid over $400 and that was in 2012.
Youā€™re probably going to hate me saying this but Iā€™m going to anyway. I know you donā€™t trust online banking and thatā€™s ok but you should at least get a credit card so you can safely purchase things online. Itā€™s safe. Humanity has been doing for a long time and if it didnā€™t work, youā€™d have heard about it.

If you get a card you can shop anywhere. Plus many card companies now offer a percentage back for using the card so itā€™s credited to your account. You can actually save money by using a credit card if you pay it off every month. If you became a Costco member you can get all kinds of everyday deals with a money back guarantee on anything you purchase with no receipt needed.

With getting older these options can come in quite handy. Ok! I know I should probably not say anything but I worry about you. None of us are getting any younger here and this would help you keep your independence for longer and I know how much you enjoy that.

I have a 12.9 iPad Pro, too, as well as the smaller 10.5 iPad Pro I use both of them for different things. The 12.9 I use like I would a laptop, and I have it in a keyboard case, which makes it perfect for typing.
It is also good for watching YouTube videos because of the larger screen size, and I do my photo-editing on this one , as well.

The smaller one is for when I am not typing, and just want to hold it and read or research something. I also use this one for watching videos, because even though it is smaller, I can hold it easier than the larger one.
When I travel, I take the 10.5, and then I have a keyboard case for that one, too. Otherwise, I just have a little protective case (from Amazon) on the smaller one.

Here is my 12.9 in the keyboard case. If you do not expect to do a lot of typing, then all you should need is a protective case.

7866E7A4-3FAE-4F61-AF00-B5D9B36B189C.jpeg

Youā€™re probably going to hate me saying this but Iā€™m going to anyway. I know you donā€™t trust online banking and thatā€™s ok but you should at least get a credit card so you can safely purchase things online. Itā€™s safe. Humanity has been doing for a long time and if it didnā€™t work, youā€™d have heard about it.

If you get a card you can shop anywhere. Plus many card companies now offer a percentage back for using the card so itā€™s credited to your account. You can actually save money by using a credit card if you pay it off every month. If you became a Costco member you can get all kinds of everyday deals with a money back guarantee on anything you purchase with no receipt needed.

With getting older these options can come in quite handy. Ok! I know I should probably not say anything but I worry about you. None of us are getting any younger here and this would help you keep your independence for longer and I know how much you enjoy that.

Another option is to get a prepaid debit card, like Walmart sells, and then use that for online purchases. It does not track back to your bank account, so it is safe to use online.
I only do online shopping from places that I trust, mainly Amazon or Samā€™s Club, and I use my paypal card for ebay shopping.

I have a 12.9 iPad Pro, too, as well as the smaller 10.5 iPad Pro I use both of them for different things. The 12.9 I use like I would a laptop, and I have it in a keyboard case, which makes it perfect for typing.
It is also good for watching YouTube videos because of the larger screen size, and I do my photo-editing on this one , as well.

The smaller one is for when I am not typing, and just want to hold it and read or research something. I also use this one for watching videos, because even though it is smaller, I can hold it easier than the larger one.
When I travel, I take the 10.5, and then I have a keyboard case for that one, too. Otherwise, I just have a little protective case (from Amazon) on the smaller one.

Here is my 12.9 in the keyboard case. If you do not expect to do a lot of typing, then all you should need is a protective case.

View attachment 107242
OMG!!! Wow! Iā€™m thrilled. Seriously. Someone who has two iPads and ones the same as mine and offering to help if needed? This must be my lucky šŸ€ day or something. My trip to Costco was wonderful, I found the iPad I think I need and a member who is also trying to adopt a vegetarian lifestyle has just offered to help me? šŸ„° Someone pinch me.

A keyboard case. The one at Costco was set up
with a keyboard case. Something else I didnā€™t know.Iā€™ve never done any photo editing except cropping.This is soooo exciting. I thought the iPad mini was cute. A perfect size to use for reading a book.

Oh I am so going to pick your brains HappyFlowerLady.lol.

Another option is to get a prepaid debit card, like Walmart sells, and then use that for online purchases. It does not track back to your bank account, so it is safe to use online.
I only do online shopping from places that I trust, mainly Amazon or Samā€™s Club, and I use my paypal card for ebay shopping.
Oh YES!!! Sheā€™s probably like that even better.
Great idea. Online shopping is getting better all the time.

The iPad Mini IS the perfect size for reading !
I have one of those, too. I use it for reading, traveling (I have a keyboard case for traveling for that one, too), as well as listening to motivational self-help apps at night, with my headphones.
They come in all different sizes, and once you fall in love with your iPad, you might end up wanting a ā€whole familyā€, like me.
My large one was a Christmas gift from my daughter, Robin. The 10.5 , I bought from the pawn shop, and the Mini I found on ebay, so they were both used when I got them, and it happened over time, as I found a good deal on one.

Well, Keesha......... I guess it is time for True Confessions here.
My husband also has 3 ipads.
He has the 12.9 that Robin got us both as gifts. He has an iPad 5th generation (which it is time to update when I find a good deal for him, but he is happy with it), and he has an iPad Mini 2 (really old one) that he uses out in the garage to connect his Bluetooth speakers with. He also carries it with him sometimes when he is working on some project that he wants to take pictures of.

And, naturally, we both have our iPhones, as well. So now, you have the whole unvarnished truth of the matter, when it comes to me and iPads.

Well, Keesha......... I guess it is time for True Confessions here.
My husband also has 3 ipads.
He has the 12.9 that Robin got us both as gifts. He has an iPad 5th generation (which it is time to update when I find a good deal for him, but he is happy with it), and he has an iPad Mini 2 (really old one) that he uses out in the garage to connect his Bluetooth speakers with. He also carries it with him sometimes when he is working on some project that he wants to take pictures of.

And, naturally, we both have our iPhones, as well. So now, you have the whole unvarnished truth of the matter, when it comes to me and iPads.
Wow! I might be bring presumptuous here but itā€™s sounds like youā€™re loaded. Is! Not so much. It took everything in my piggy bank to purchase this so I hope itā€™s all that I need and then some.

I watched a few garage band tutorials and could almost cry with frustration but like my my diet, Iā€™m determined to learn this.

Do you take many photos and if so where do you store them? Also, do you have protective coverings for them? While walking around with mine in my hand last night, I considered the damage that would happen if I dropped it since I drop everything especially on our new porcelain floors. Even the hardwood floors arenā€™t too forgiving.

I am definitely NOT loaded ! I am actually below poverty level, low-income senior, but I do surveys and such for a little extra money, and then that is what I use to buy things , after I save up enough money to do it.
The only new iPad that I/we have , is the one that my daughter got for us as Christmas gifts, and we have had those for going on two years now. My daughter has us on her phone contract, so that is why we are able to have an iPhone. Before that, we had one of the low-income ā€œObama phonesā€ that are so tiny you canā€™t even see to use them. (They are like a very cheap Tracphone. )
The other ones are old model iPads that I found on eBay (or the pawn shop) and bought really, really cheap, well used, and out of date; but they work for what we need them for.

Anyway, photos....... yes, I have a lot of them, and they are stored in the Apple iCloud. A lot of storage comes with each Apple account, and if you need more, it starts at about 99 cents a month, which is a whole lot more storage space.
I do have protective coverings for my iPads . I have the little sleep/wake covers, except for the big iPad, which has the keyboard case, and it pretty much stays in place and I use it like a laptop.

The kind of cover you will want, depends on how you expect to be using the ipad. If you are going to be holding it a lot, then something lightweight is good. If you plan on using it as more of a computer/laptop and typing, then a keyboard case is excellent, so you do not have to use the virtual keyboard .
That is why I wanted two sizes. The 12.9 is large enough that I can read things easier, and the smaller one is lightweight and easier to hold for things that I want to do that for.

Also, before moving into the more complicated things, like Garage Band and photo-editing, I would suggest spending time just getting used to using an iPad, and how the basic things work, and then doing the more advanced things.
Even as long as I have had an iPad, there are still new things that I am learning all of the time, and watching YouTube tutorials to learn.

Here is the kind of lightweight cover that I have on my smaller iPad Mini.
C6779584-4B78-4259-92D3-03E5166A7D4C.jpeg

To start with Iā€™m computer challenged. In fact the only reason Iā€™m online at all is because I have an iPhone but thatā€™s about all I know how to use.

What I really miss about not having a computer is storage. Iā€™ve actually lost almost 3 years of pictures I took due to needing to store them on my iPhone. I enjoy photography very much.

Next thing I want it for is to make digital music back tracks for vocals and saxophone playing so that I can hopefully share my music with others online.

We donā€™t have a computer or internet here at the moment but are looking into getting it.

The computers Iā€™m currently looking into are Apple šŸŽ Mac minis, MacBooks, Mac airā€™s , MacBook pros etc., but they are pricey.

Iā€™ve got my eye on a Mac mini
https://setapp.com/lifestyle/why-get-the-mac-mini-latest-model

What Iā€™d like to do is create backtracks for songs I like so that Iā€™m creating my own music. Since Iā€™m not doing this to make money, I donā€™t have to worry about copyright issues especially if I use YouTube. They have their own copyright policy you have to fill out before uploading anything online. This is what Iā€™ve been told by others and not something Iā€™ve tried. In fact, Iā€™ve never in my life recorded any of my work.

Correction: as kids we taped us singing ā€œCome Togetherā€ by the Beatles when we were little kids to send to my grandmother . She hated it. šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚

Do any of you use an Apple computer for music or know anything about making music back tracks?

I need to learn more about computers before I commit to buying one. Iā€™m planning on purchasing my computer from Costco so if I donā€™t like it, I can return it with no questions asked.
"What I really miss about not having a computer is storage. Iā€™ve actually lost almost 3 years of pictures I took due to needing to store them on my iPhone. I enjoy photography very much. "

I just skimmed through all of the posts and if your problem is not enough storage, then the answer is an external hard drive where you can store until the limit of the drive is reached and that's quite a bit.

External hard drives now are relatively inexpensive as compared to getting a huge capacity computer. It beats storing in the Cloud and similar solutions. And it can be used on another computer if you decide to change.

I can't get the link to work but they are available at Best Buy and similar stores and they will even help you to get it installed.

"What I really miss about not having a computer is storage. Iā€™ve actually lost almost 3 years of pictures I took due to needing to store them on my iPhone. I enjoy photography very much. "

I just skimmed through all of the posts and if your problem is not enough storage, then the answer is an external hard drive where you can store until the limit of the drive is reached and that's quite a bit.

External hard drives now are relatively inexpensive as compared to getting a huge capacity computer. It beats storing in the Cloud and similar solutions. And it can be used on another computer if you decide to change.

I can't get the link to work but they are available at Best Buy and similar stores and they will even help you to get it installed.
Oh thanks Camper. Someone else suggested this. Iā€™m not fond at all of storing photos on iCloud. Iā€™ve got photos stored in other photo storing websites but then once I got a new phone with a new email address Iā€™d forget my passwords etc., and theyā€™d all get lost which totally sucks. Plus I ended up accidentally deleting my last iPhone which probably had the best pictures Iā€™ve ever taken in my life and although I understand they are only materialistic things, they held so many positive memories and now I canā€™t ever get them back and it upsets me so much. Thatā€™s another reason why I want to learn more about computers. I canā€™t keep relying on asking my husband either.

Thatā€™s a great suggestion Camper. Thank you. ā¤
I will look into it. Iā€™m soooooo technically challenged and just trying to learn technical stuff is incredibly frustrating. My mind almost shuts down due to it.
Yesterday I considered chucking my new computer threw the window. šŸ˜‚ I bit of an exaggeration. Of course I wouldnā€™t because then I couldnā€™t take it back nor do I have the money for a new window šŸ˜¬šŸ˜…Lol

Oh thanks Camper. Someone else suggested this. Iā€™m not fond at all of storing photos on iCloud. Iā€™ve got photos stored in other photo storing websites but then once I got a new phone with a new email address Iā€™d forget my passwords etc., and theyā€™d all get lost which totally sucks. Plus I ended up accidentally deleting my last iPhone which probably had the best pictures Iā€™ve ever taken in my life and although I understand they are only materialistic things, they held so many positive memories and now I canā€™t ever get them back and it upsets me so much. Thatā€™s another reason why I want to learn more about computers. I canā€™t keep relying on asking my husband either.

Thatā€™s a great suggestion Camper. Thank you. ā¤
I will look into it. Iā€™m soooooo technically challenged and just trying to learn technical stuff is incredibly frustrating. My mind almost shuts down due to it.
Yesterday I considered chucking my new computer threw the window. šŸ˜‚ I bit of an exaggeration. Of course I wouldnā€™t because then I couldnā€™t take it back nor do I have the money for a new window šŸ˜¬šŸ˜…Lol
Throw it anyway. "We don't need a window on such a sunny day". Remember those lyrics from "Manana is soon enough for me".?

I've been delaying getting a new system, too. I'm using a clunky desktop running Windows 7, but hey, it still works most of the time. But it's like driving a dumptruck when everyone else has a Ferrari - slow but it will eventually get you there. I am concerend about learning how to operate a new computer - not like 20 years ago. So many more choices these days. Wi-fi or modem, memory, disk capacity, speed. What to choose?
I'm in the same boat. I'm considering renting one to see how I can cope with it. I hate to give up my computer running Windows XP. There is so much nice stuff on it, like being able to record music to a CD and being able to edit pictures. If you want to get more speed out of your Windows 7, consider downloading a program called CCleaner. It clears the cache. I use it quite often. I have the free version and they constantly are asking me to upgrade but I won't.

I am definitely NOT loaded ! I am actually below poverty level, low-income senior, but I do surveys and such for a little extra money, and then that is what I use to buy things , after I save up enough money to do it.
The only new iPad that I/we have , is the one that my daughter got for us as Christmas gifts, and we have had those for going on two years now. My daughter has us on her phone contract, so that is why we are able to have an iPhone. Before that, we had one of the low-income ā€œObama phonesā€ that are so tiny you canā€™t even see to use them. (They are like a very cheap Tracphone. )
The other ones are old model iPads that I found on eBay (or the pawn shop) and bought really, really cheap, well used, and out of date; but they work for what we need them for.

Anyway, photos....... yes, I have a lot of them, and they are stored in the Apple iCloud. A lot of storage comes with each Apple account, and if you need more, it starts at about 99 cents a month, which is a whole lot more storage space.
I do have protective coverings for my iPads . I have the little sleep/wake covers, except for the big iPad, which has the keyboard case, and it pretty much stays in place and I use it like a laptop.

The kind of cover you will want, depends on how you expect to be using the ipad. If you are going to be holding it a lot, then something lightweight is good. If you plan on using it as more of a computer/laptop and typing, then a keyboard case is excellent, so you do not have to use the virtual keyboard .
That is why I wanted two sizes. The 12.9 is large enough that I can read things easier, and the smaller one is lightweight and easier to hold for things that I want to do that for.

Also, before moving into the more complicated things, like Garage Band and photo-editing, I would suggest spending time just getting used to using an iPad, and how the basic things work, and then doing the more advanced things.
Even as long as I have had an iPad, there are still new things that I am learning all of the time, and watching YouTube tutorials to learn.

Here is the kind of lightweight cover that I have on my smaller iPad Mini.
View attachment 107328
Hi HappyFlowerLady.
Yes I actually do know you probably went out of your way to get the best deal possible which is what I was going to do but then I decided to go into Costco and just get one to try. I may have been better off getting the smaller one for much less money and adding on the other things I needed instead. These things are a lot of money.

Yes your suggestion is a wise one. What Iā€™m doing is frustrating myself needlessly. I should first get used to this to see if itā€™s something I want to keep to use for all my other stuff. Iā€™m trying to bite off more than I can chew right now. You are more sensible.

That is a gorgeous cover and great information. I completely missed your post before. Ok I need to get outside and do some gardening. Have a lovely day Happyflowerlady and thanks for the info.

Even if you deleted your last iPhone, your Apple ID should still be the same, and all of your pictures should be backed up onto the icloud, even if you were also storing them on the phone. So, it is possible that those lost pictures are still there, and you just need to use the same apple account to access them again.
I have almost 2,000 pictures on my ipad, all of which are shared from my Apple ID, and are on all of my devices. I really like that I can use my phone for taking pictures, and then they are automatically also on every other apple device that I have.
Apple offers so much storage that you should be able to store as many photos as you want to. My daughter has many times more photos than I do, plus about a zillion songs, and who knows what else, and all she uses is her ipad and iPhone. She just has extra storage that she pays for monthly.
You always get 5GB cloud storage free, and it took me many years to use over that amount, but then I got the 50GB plan which is 99 cents a month, and I am using about 16GB of that, so I will probably never run out. I think that Robin has the 2TB plan because she stores so many things on her ipad, but there is also a 500GB plan for 2.99; so extra storage is pretty cheap.

The nice thing about cloud storage, besides it sharing for all of your devices, is that even if you lost your device, or killed it somehow, or just got a new one, everything is backed up and saved, so ALL of your information (not just pictures and music) is saved and downloaded on the new device.

Even if you deleted your last iPhone, your Apple ID should still be the same, and all of your pictures should be backed up onto the icloud, even if you were also storing them on the phone. So, it is possible that those lost pictures are still there, and you just need to use the same apple account to access them again.
I have almost 2,000 pictures on my ipad, all of which are shared from my Apple ID, and are on all of my devices. I really like that I can use my phone for taking pictures, and then they are automatically also on every other apple device that I have.
Apple offers so much storage that you should be able to store as many photos as you want to. My daughter has many times more photos than I do, plus about a zillion songs, and who knows what else, and all she uses is her ipad and iPhone. She just has extra storage that she pays for monthly.
You always get 5GB cloud storage free, and it took me many years to use over that amount, but then I got the 50GB plan which is 99 cents a month, and I am using about 16GB of that, so I will probably never run out. I think that Robin has the 2TB plan because she stores so many things on her ipad, but there is also a 500GB plan for 2.99; so extra storage is pretty cheap.

The nice thing about cloud storage, besides it sharing for all of your devices, is that even if you lost your device, or killed it somehow, or just got a new one, everything is backed up and saved, so ALL of your information (not just pictures and music) is saved and downloaded on the new device.
Oh thatā€™s some great info but my husband said since I forgot my my Apple ID password that I may have lost them all which would be a real shame. I think I know my old email address though.

Is my Apple ID and my iCloud the same thing?
I just found this which Iā€™m going to read through. Iā€™d love to get those pictures back.

Last edited:
You can still do it, even if you do not remember the password, most likely. Sign in with your email, and then guess at what you think your password was.
If it is wrong, you should see the option for ā€œforgot passwordā€. Follow that, and you can reset your password for that account. I think you will have identity verifications questions (what was the name of you first pet?, etc) that you will have to answer to prove it is you.
If you go to icloud.com , it will ask if you want to sign in with your Apple ID (whatever one you are using for the ipad), or use a different account.
You can then sign in using the old account, straighten out the password situation, and you should be able to share the photos with both accounts, using ā€œfamily sharingā€ in icloud.

I sent you a PM with my iMessage info, so you can just message me instead of doing all of this on the forum thread, if you want to. This would be faster and easier,

Back