Need help with my laptop, please

In Chrome​

1. On your computer, open Chrome.
  2. At the top right, click More
    More
  3. Click More tools
    and then
    Clear browsing data.
  4. At the top, choose a time range. To delete everything, select All time.
  5. Next to "Cookies and other site data" and "Cached images and files," check the boxes.
  6. Click Clear data.

Yep, that's crazy for sure but I don't know how to fix crazy, sorry.
Best suggestion I have is to create a new account and be diligent
in keeping track of both your password and phone number you
use to set it up. You may thank your future self.
Yes, I signed up for a NEW google account and that allowed me to get into certain sites, but not into my old gmail account.
At this point, I think I'll let well enough alone with a new gmail account.

Thank you everyone.

on this laptop, when I turn it on, I see ONLY a chrome icon and a file icon. So, I assume that I am using google chrome.
FYI, you are using a Chromebook, Everything Google. It won't play nice with another browser other than Chrome. The OS is ChromeOS (Google's version of Linux).

Good Luck!

'WRITE DOWN EVERYTHING i.e. PASSWORDS, LOGIN ID's,,,EVERYTHING!'.

TRY THIS!

Factory reset your Chromebook

1. Sign out of your Chromebook.
  2. Press and hold Ctrl + Alt + Shift + r.
  3. Select Restart.
  4. In the box that appears, select Powerwash
    and then
    Continue.
  5. Follow the steps that appear and sign in with your Google Account.
    Note: The account you sign in with after you reset your Chromebook will be the owner account.
  6. Once you've reset your Chromebook:

Last edited:
I have located my cell phone number. It then asks me for my name. I type in my name and click "NEXT". That darn Google says , "The name does not match the name on the account. That's crazy !
When it says your name it is not necessarily your actual NAME but the name you first registered your Google account/Gmail etc.. Exactly the same!!

I won't discuss my unique system for passwords herein except to note I don't tend to trust password managers in part because they tend to be too complicated to clearly understand unless one is involved in that field. Don't tend to trust consumer security app solutions because they are usually meant for ordinary folk that are simply overwhelmed and annoyed with dealing with lots of passwords, something I was up to my neck in for decades. Many passwords, say for Internet site logins have little importance. Passwords for one's computers, bank accounts, Google, purchasing sites like Amazon, etc are the ones that are important. Having to mentally remember such passwords by regular to occasional repetition entering them has value versus the usual scenario with managers. The reason so many sites offer password recovery is because people often do forget them while recovery processes like asking for one's mother's maiden name or one's dog's name is hardly going to stop someone that pays identification services for all one's on line public info. The main protection most people have is they are small uninteresting fish hackers won't bother with. But win a chunk on some lottery and suddenly one may have unwanted nosy friends.

When one cannot recall most important ones because one always just uses the quick convenient process to get in, suddenly one may become hugely permanently confused. Writing down passwords on paper is fine for someone without much to hide but for someone wealthy, if burglars break in and steal it when one is off for a week on a Hawaiian vacation, very bad. " I do use command line file encryption commands on sensitive files that is safer than paper IF one stores such on multiple devices. Read this minimally:

https://www.makeuseof.com/are-password-managers-safe-or-not/

Did you try removing the battery from your laptop,
count to ten and put it back, if the problem was
caused by your machine, that might cure it.

Mike.

Pros Of Using A Chromebook

1. Low hardware price​

2. No reliance on locally installed software​

3. You don’t need an IT expert to help you with problems​

4. No software updates are necessary​

5. Everything is backed on the cloud​

6. Very low software costs​

7. Less prone to viruses​

8. No need to upgrade hardware frequently​

9. Better battery life and endurance​

10. Lower weight and thickness compared to traditional laptops​

11. Better collaboration and productivity​

12. Best for users who travel a lot or work remotely​

13. Access to the extensive library of Android apps on Google Play Store​

14. Developed and supported by Google​

Cons Of Using A Chromebook

1. Very low storage capacity​

2. No Microsoft software supported​

3. Limited software compatibility​

4. Limited multimedia support​

5. Not able to play demanding games​

6. Need for a good internet connection​

7. No external optical drive​

@senior chef Battery in this laptop can not be removed. At least not without taking the laptop apart.
@Farrah Nuff -Yes, if it's a Chromebook that makes sense. Planned obsolescence.
A laptop battery should last 5-7 years. That's the length of support that Google gives a Chromebook, remember it's all about money.

Last edited:
Yes, if it's a Chromebook that makes sense. Planned obsolescence.
Most laptops these days are difficult to take apart for component replacement. However, my 7 yr. old Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming laptop is super easy to open up. Here shortly it's going to get a 2nd battery replacement, unfortunately the only replacement batteries available will be rebuilt and not new, so they won't last as long as the original.

Most laptops these days are difficult to take apart for component replacement. However, my 7 yr. old Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming laptop is super easy to open up. Here shortly it's going to get a 2nd battery replacement, unfortunately the only replacement batteries available will be rebuilt and not new, so they won't last as long as the original.
My HP is easy to work on, and with little effort can access the boot menu. First battery that went south wasn't replaced for a year, run it with just the power cord. Finally decided it was time to get a replacement. My father always said, 'poor people have poor ways'.

I got a 256GB Patriot flash drive for $34, 8 times more storage for a quarter of the price I paid for a WD 30GB drive back in the early 2000s.
BTW @ManjaroKDE , have you tried Arcolinux or Garuda? They are my current favorite distros...gotta love a rolling release.
Haven't tried or heard much about Arcolinux, but I got turned off Garuda after a problem I was trying to resolve required a conversation with a CS based somewhere in India which had nothing to do with Linux. I'm a little hard of hearing and can't follow a rapid talker. I kept asking her to talk slowly but she only got more frustrated with me. I keyed on the country of origin for the distro & I have little patience.

Also I really like Manjaro (it's a rolling release also, based on Arch). It's German engineering at it's best or so I've read. I believe everything I read or see on the web.

Last edited:
Also I really like Manjaro (it's a rolling release also, based on Arch). It's German engineering at it's best or so I've read.
@ ManjaroKDE, curious if it's been your main OS for some time or ? I haven't tried it but Manjaro always comes up highly recommended in anything I read. Distro Watch rates it number 4 in popularity.

@ ManjaroKDE, curious if it's been your main OS for some time or ? I haven't tried it but Manjaro always comes up highly recommended in anything I read. Distro Watch rates it number 4 in popularity.
I keep flopping between MX, Mint & Manjaro I've used MJ more (3 years on) than the other 2, Mint because it doesn't load SnapD, MX cause always Nr 1. Both are simple/clean distros but Manjaro has the added plus of a rolling release which I like & it's based on Arch. I started with SUSE now opensuse many years ago. Tried LEAP but it was too much like Win 8, which I despised. Tried Tumbleweed (a rolling release) but it's just tad over 4GB which tells me it's more than I need. I think I just like to download torrents & anything that starts with an 'M'.

Last edited:
I keep flopping between MX, Mint & Manjaro I've used MJ more (3 years on) than the other 2, Mint because it doesn't load SnapD, MX cause always Nr 1. Both are simple/clean distros but Manjaro has the added plus of a rolling release which I like & it's based on Arch. I started with SUSE now opensuse many years ago. Tried LEAP but it was too much like Win 8, which I despise. Tried Tumbleweed (a rolling release) but it's just tad over 4GB which tells me it's more than I need. And I think I just like to use Transmission for downloads.
You've definitely done your share of experimenting. I installed Debian in 2009, got rid of my Windows pc's and was happy! Tried Mint a few years later when it was gaining popularity but felt a bit bloated for me, so have just stuck with Debian.

You've definitely done your share of experimenting. I installed Debian in 2009, got rid of my Windows pc's and was happy! Tried Mint a few years later when it was gaining popularity but felt a bit bloated for me, so have just stuck with Debian.
Debian is just lean and clean, and support documentation is good for when guidance is needed.

Back