Neighbor Insists I Get Another Cat

Several times since I had to have my 19 year old cat euthanized in November, a neighbor to whom I also deliver meals, has mentioned that she was anxious to take me to a local shelter so I can find another cat. Taking me to an animal shelter would be like bringing an alcoholic, who's trying to quit, to a liquor store.
I guess it depends on whether or not you think you will outlive a new pet.

I guess it depends on whether or not you think you will outlive a new pet.
Or make sure your neighbor or someone else who is a cat lover would agree to take your cat if you checked out.
Having had cats for years, we still want crazy paws in our home. For us its better than a dog...a dog is too "needy" for our lifestyle.

I get a lot of unsolicited advice, and my usual reply is: it sounds like that is something that you need me to do. I have no interest at all, but it might be helpful if you could figure out why you want me to do something I obviously don't want to do.

I used to tell my mom she was one cat shy of being a crazy cat lady. She didn't find it humorous.
You're new to this board so you don't know, I am the "queen of crazy cat ladies" and proud to be one. I have 14. I had adopted two kitten sisters and later on adopted 2 stray moms with baby kittens.

What do you consider a ''crazy cat lady"?

You're new to this board so you don't know, I am the "queen of crazy cat ladies" and proud to be one. I have 14. I had adopted two kitten sisters and later on adopted 2 stray moms with baby kittens.

What do you consider a ''crazy cat lady"?
I heard the joke somewhere and would repeat it in jest, in order to stimulate a response from mom. She always had lots of animals and strays were always welcome with loving arms. At any point in time I really couldn't say how many cats she had, but there were always a bunch of them. She lived at the end of a dead end street in the country, so people where always dumping off animals they no longer wanted. Mom wouldn't even harm a spider or fly. She had a vacum device to capture them and then would let them go outside.

But back to your question, I liken it to potato chips - just one more, than just one more after that. I truly dislike labeling others and vice versa. I kinda figured you love cats - I'm kinda smart that way.
cats.jpg

Here is my back peddling, save my skin, defintion of a crazy cat lady - A woman who keeps free roaming bobcats, panthers, lions, and tigers as pets, in the same house. 😇

I heard the joke somewhere and would repeat it in jest, in order to stimulate a response from mom. She always had lots of animals and strays were always welcome with loving arms. At any point in time I really couldn't say how many cats she had, but there were always a bunch of them. She lived at the end of a dead end street in the country, so people where always dumping off animals they no longer wanted. Mom wouldn't even harm a spider or fly. She had a vacum device to capture them and then would let them go outside.

But back to your question, I liken it to potato chips - just one more, than just one more after that. I truly dislike labeling others and vice versa. I kinda figured you love cats - I'm kinda smart that way.
View attachment 86027

Here is my back peddling, save my skin, defintion of a crazy cat lady - A woman who keeps free roaming bobcats, panthers, lions, and tigers as pets, in the same house. 😇
Chicken!

My mom was a cat hoarder. She had 11 at one time, mainly from taking in what she perceived as strays. Also when her mother went into assisted care, she took in her 2 cats. One had kittens (which were the two last ones to go, Adam in January 2016 and Gus in November 2019). At the time of mom's passing in 2006, she was down to 5. I made a deathbed promise that I would take care of them. Although I like cats perhaps more than any other animal, I just do not what that responsibility and expense any more at my age.

My mom was a cat hoarder. She had 11 at one time, mainly from taking in what she perceived as strays. Also when her mother went into assisted care, she took in her 2 cats. One had kittens (which were the two last ones to go, Adam in January 2016 and Gus in November 2019). At the time of mom's passing in 2006, she was down to 5. I made a deathbed promise that I would take care of them. Although I like cats perhaps more than any other animal, I just do not what that responsibility and expense any more at my age.
Oh goodness. My parents were pet hoarders also. At one point they had 6 cats and 3 dogs. They problem with having so many cats is if you don’t clean their cat litter box enough, they start spraying ( peeing ) in other places in the house , which is what they did. They pee in our closets, on our clothes, in our shoes. It was really embarrassing having anyone over.

Oddly enough my husbands parents were the same way so the idea of more than one cat is most unappealing even if I love cats.

View attachment 86027

Your mother and I would have been good friends, and YOU are a coward. I was not going to hiss and scratch you no matter what you said. I was expecting you to say 4 cats okay and then 5 cats makes you a ''crazy cat lady''.

Cats are just drawn to me, maybe because I leave cat food and water in my back porch for the starving strays. Right now I have two tomcats living in the back yard. I have simply drawn the line at 14 indoor cats.

P.S. I love the image of the cat lady, I'm saving it.

Last edited:
...Cats are just drawn to me, maybe because I leave cat food and water in my back porch for the starving strays. Right now I have two tomcats living in the back yard. I have simply drawn the line at 14 indoor cats.

P.S. I love the image of the cat lady, I'm saving it.

Well, if you left a leg of lamb out, instead of the catfood, you might just get your tiger. 😜

Glad you enjoy the image. 😇

My "soul daughter" as I like to call her, lives about an hour north of us, its the Grimes county/Huntsville area, and they don't have much in the way of "feral cat shelters". She has trapped and fixed 28 cats. She has 3 inside - the rest are outside on her acreage. Right now I'd like to borrow a couple to take care of these moles we've got on the property.
Got more than a couple tunnels happening.

Had an old alpha male cat named Pumpkin. He used to dig a hole and then sit and sit, waiting for the mole to come out and he'd have lunch. Somehow he knew if he dug a hole not far from the tunnel the mole would sense it and burrow that way!

Back