Never thought retirement would be like this

Goodness, I know what you mean about the rain! We have had rain everyday for the past two weeks! Enough already! We are on Comcast Cable (with a bundled package) and our cable has gone out for a few minutes with all the rain. We do not have underground cable lines so I guess maybe some limbs fell on the lines to cause an outage. Okay, here I go again..check out clark.com he is Clark Howard from Atlanta...a total "geek" but a rich one and he has all sorts of info on the best buys for internet service. There is so much technology out there now, I cannot keep up. I would go with a tablet for home use but you need WiFi service. Can you just get WiFi from your local cable and nothing else? Those data phone plans can add up in a hurry.

Did it rain yesterday? Of course, but not a real heavy rain this time...and 50% chance today.

There could be something else wrong with DSL connection now. Latest troubleshooting says "Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration," and I've tried every suggested solution. Trouble is computerized troubleshooters sometimes throw out suggestions that have nothing to do with what's wrong, then you tinker around trying to fix it, and make things worse. I'm tired of thinking about it. Too many other things on my plate.

scarlet.gif

Not Baa-a-a-d!
Biofuel-Riding-Lawnmower.jpeg

Meanderer, maybe I need to trade in the goats for sheep, or cows. Goats hate rain. It's also not good for them to eat really, really wet grass or plants. Means more alfalfa pellets. Their weight loss diet is not going well so far this summer, and no exercise, and lots more barn sweeping.:(

goats-not-int-he-rain.jpg

Last summer I got a lot of things done---deck, porch floor, major hedge trimming, storm windows... I remember saying these were jobs that would last at least 2 years, and I could goof off next summer.

birdyr.jpg

Today at the farm---the AC was not working, again. One clock flashing. Must have been a power blink. Not good when AC is running. Checked all the breakers. This is getting a bit too much. Almost started to develop a bit of a negative attitude ... :playful:

But then....

I whipped out that new lawn mower. That thing is more fun than a barrel of monkeys. Mowed about 30 minutes with it. If your mind starts to wander, top speed is so fast, you can almost do wheelies. :cool: So it's just the pushing that's making it so hard with the one in town---strength, not stamina. A big black cloud popped up but just blew on by this time. Back in town it had rained a lot, again. :rolleyes: [Coincidently, one goat showing signs today of eating too much wet grass (TMI).]

DSL still out. Recent posts on both AT&T and Verizon customer forums show many people are having the same problem now. One said he had two friends who worked for AT&T, and repairing anything to do with copper wires was not a priority with the company. I'm still studying what to do, but it costs me almost $15/day (not $10) just to study. :p

Just finished doing my hair again. The color is such a slight difference, you can hardly tell when it grows out. But it's just enough to look good when it's done.

Nancy,

I would revisit the local cable company.

I use them for internet access only and it costs approx. $25.00/month.

Good luck!
Thanks Bea. I will check it out. Most of the complaints about Cable here have to do with their phone and TV service. Didn't think you could get anything for $25 not bundled. Their internet ads says this, but it's a nationwide ad I think. They want your address. (I don't want them to have it just yet.) Will check it out Monday.

ch.gif

Of course AT&T would increase their rates a little for *other* features as punishment for unbundling. Ha!

I'm not even absolutely sure what's wrong yet. Things have to dry out first to tell. Could have been lightning while I was gone.

I appreciate any and all suggestions. Like I said, I'm clueless. Haven't kept up with things. :(

My thinking for suggesting something like this setup

UHUBS041100_1.jpg

was that an Android device, like a tablet or netbook, might use a lot fewer data minutes for the same amount of internet browsing, than trying to run a pc with Windows from a WiFi hotspot. I wouldn't mind having one of these anyway. I'm just basing it on one article that was the closest I could find to answering the question, and it doesn't say how *much* more efficient.

Will a laptop take more data than smartphone while watching videos in YouTube coz its big?

"Well it depends on how you are getting this data. Are you using your smartphone as a hotspot to power your laptop's data needs? If yes, then yes, it is going to consume more data. The browsers on laptops are not as efficient as those on Android and consume much more data. It is not a matter of the laptop being bigger, but a matter of the programs being built for it.

Now, if you are using a Wi-Fi connection to power your laptop's data needs, this is where it gets tricky. Most Wi-Fi plans are unlimited, so you shouldn't worry about data. However, I know of a number that do have limited plans. It will probably take more data than your smartphone, but it will be a bit more efficient than running it through a phone hotspot.

If your computer has its own data card, this will take even more data than the above, but will be more efficient than #1.

So, if you have all limited plans, I suggest viewing on your phone. But, if you have a home Wi-Fi plan, I suggest viewing on your phone or laptop through that. The least efficient will be creating a hotspot, and I suggest not doing that."

https://www.quora.com/Will-a-laptop...-while-watching-videos-in-YouTube-coz-its-big

And then too, there are portable WiFi hotspots you can plug into a USB port. How would that work??? Will have to talk to AT$T folks I guess. Maybe this afternoon. :p:p:p

Another twist. I logged into myAT&T to see what plan I've got, and there is a message to stop tethering the cell phone to get a WiFi hotspot immediately, or your plan will be automatically upgraded to one with more data. How 'bout them apples?!! If I only do this when it rains, it shouldn't count, should it? Off to the AT$T store later... :mad:

Problem Solved! (I hope) :praying:

food-drink-fruit_and_fibre-breakfast_cereals-fibre_optics-electricials-fruit-68130378_low.jpg

According to the girl at AT&T, 2 months ago our neighborhood got fiber optics. Is that even the right terminology? She was the nicest person, and most helpful. I hope she knows what she is talking about. I've been told this before, only to find out it wasn't available when they tried to write up the contract. See, I assumed someone would have to come through with a backhoe and dig ditches, and I wouldn't have missed that, so I am more confused than ever now. :confused:

Anyway, whatever it is, I will have it on Thursday morning, and she said I wouldn't have to worry about rain or lightning again, and it wouldn't be much more expensive, less than $20/mo more. They wouldn't let me hook it up myself. :rolleyes: DSL will be gone and in the meantime I will tether away!

animals-ancient_man-caveman-prehistory-dinos-dinosaurs-atan4159_low.jpg

It looks like Photobucket is serious about their new rules. I've been expecting this, and was prepared to pay a little more, but not such a huge charge. This thread is now full of holes. Might be a good time to rethink this thread.

Three crepe myrtles, taken at a shopping center today, loaded as an attachment. Not as clear as the original picture.

crepeM.jpg

You can't make this stuff up, as they say... Today the *water* was off at the farm! Above my pay grade, except to check the breakers. The pump/well man is headed out there tomorrow.

Such a nice man. He grew up in the house that is now rental property next door out there, and knew the old couple who owned the land originally---Ezra and Miss Daisy, with 14 children. He always tells me stories about them. He has the thickest southern accent I have ever heard, plus he talks very fast and always has his mouth full of tobacco. I called him at 3:30pm and he said he was busy on a job and couldn't come until tomorrow, but then he said, "Wait, are you watering those goats with well water?" He would have come after hours, but they have 20 gallons between the trough and 2 three-gallon buckets. Tomorrow is better for me anyway.

All this is not a coincidence. I'm convinced now the electrical storms and power blips ruined the DSL modem/router, because it is still not back up.

Fence charger, DSL, AC, and maybe the pump.

I want to move to the desert!!!

One good thing---the roof is not leaking now. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Gosh, Nancy you have had some big problems with electrical problems! Note to self......don't go outside when there is a thunderstorm! LOL Heard my first cicada's today. I was reading on the back porch and heard their summer singing. Seems a bit early. It is usually in August before I hear them around here. Am I dreaming of Fall already? Oh wait, that means falling leaves. It's never ending!

... Heard my first cicada's today. I was reading on the back porch and heard their summer singing. Seems a bit early. It is usually in August before I hear them around here.
I thought I heard them too this week, but wrote it off to tree frogs because it is so early. :confused: Maybe they came out because they were afraid of drowning.
cicada_cartoon_magnet-d1478145761857817338gm5_500.jpg

Ha! Ha! Pappy. Is that Frank Cinatra?

Just a quick note on what I've found out about fiber optics cable. Apparently it can now be run above ground on poles. Typically they connect to your copper phone lines at the house. Fiber optics inside the house would be prohibitively expensive to install anyway. Evidently copper is a very good conductor for *short* distances. The slow down in speed due to the copper part is almost negligible, or so they claim. It was plenty fast enough for me when it was all copper.

I just looked outside and there is a thick shiny silver cable dangling an inch or two below the phone line with some kind of harness, like a net.

Waiting for a call from the pump man. He said he would give me an hour's notice before he was ready to go out.

--------
Update 5:20 pm
: Pump man hadn't called as of 2 pm so I went out anyway and the water was running! He had already been there and fixed it. One down and 3 to go.

Doctors office called and reminded me of annual (semi-annual?) appointment tomorrow afternoon, which I completely forgot about! Then the AT&T person Thursday 9-11, and I set up Friday afternoon for the AC repairman. Just want this week to be over. :p

6:00 pm: Mowed front lawn.

Last edited:
You have had one busy week! Our cable is run above ground and connected to an outside box to our house. Since you are with AT&T, do you have a "dish" for TV? If so, does it go out when there is rain in the area? That is one reason I am reluctant to go with a "dish". We mowed grass yesterday and it was a good thing because we got another rain shower this afternoon. We have mushrooms popping up everywhere!

Back