Never thought retirement would be like this

As if the grass is defying you? Na Na Na NA...Now you don't even have a mower? :lol1: The obsolete thing and the videos not matching is strange. Lets hope the new part will fit though.

The new lawn mower belt came Tuesday, and it was the correct one! No lifesavers included this time. Different company. :(

Bent the belt guard back enough so the belt can't just fall off, filed down a couple of scratches inside the pulley, and got it all back together. Finally got up enough courage to try it just now.

oduwZ2w.jpg

After the smoke cleared :) ... the wheels still wouldn't turn. Turned it over and there was a screwdriver wrapped up in the belt!!! Where the heck did that come from? I either left it under there somewhere, or it sucked it up from the lawn. Whatever...the belt is ruined again!

Sorry, but I could not help but laugh! Thank goodness you are not a surgeon and leave some instrument inside after surgery! LOL Been too rainy to do much of anything here this week. Between thunderstorms I would go outside and pick up small limbs that fell. They say next week should be dry and less humid. Oh joy, more grass mowing!

Sorry, but I could not help but laugh! Thank goodness you are not a surgeon and leave some instrument inside after surgery! LOL Been too rainy to do much of anything here this week. Between thunderstorms I would go outside and pick up small limbs that fell. They say next week should be dry and less humid. Oh joy, more grass mowing!
Go ahead and laugh. I deserve it. Most people would have kept this incident a secret, but not me. :) I've always got the backup mower. It's working well, except it needs a cover where the grass comes flying out. If you mow down wind you get covered in grass clipping. :p

How about this rain? I hope they don't change the forecast next week.

What have you been doing?

I need approx 8-9 sheets of drywall to finish this closet. It can't get wet. I have two choices: have them cut all the pieces in half and load them on the truck, OR cut the pieces closer to the way I can use them *from* the truck. Either way, it has to quit raining first.

So meantime I started putting in insulation. It is causing an itchy reaction like I never had before!!! (Is this part of getting old?) I should get one of those HazMat suits, and try to get that part done in 2 days at most.

The Traveling Rash...

(Follow up from a separate thread on this site in the Health Forum. Posting the link causes an error. )

This is the strangest itchy rash I've ever had. There is a hot red swelling, like you would get with multiple wasp stings, combined with the itchiness of chiggers. Been off antibiotics for days, only taking an antihistamine now, and only occasionally. Haven't touched any fiberglass insulation for 2 days.

The rash moves around all over the place. Now I think it's just pressure that causes it. Still could have started with the antibiotics.

I'm afraid to finish the insulation now. Yesterday after I mowed the lawn with the riding mower, the spot on the left thigh swelled up in a huge lump. If it hadn't been for the "traveling" business I would have been worried, because it looked exactly like the internet pictures of a deep vein thrombosis. It's like the immune system has gone wild!

Oh yes, I almost forgot. Last night I had a space heater plugged into an extension cord. All the sudden it caught fire where the two cords met. Enough flames to burn a hole through the carpet before I could put it out. I was planning to replace all the carpet upstairs anyway, as soon as the closet it finished, so no big deal. :)

sideeffects1.jpg

Last edited:
My goodness , you have had a few bad weeks! The itching sounds like an allergic reaction to something. You haven't changed laundry detergent or fabric softener lately? Just my opinion, but if you have not had a reaction to the insulation in the past, you should be okay. Just be sure to wear long sleeves and a mask. Maybe you got a mosquito bite? They were talking on the news tonight to make sure you empty anything that accumulates water outside because of the rains we have had for the past three weeks will cause a massive mosquito problem! And I don't even want to go there about the space heater.....girl, it could have been much worse! Be careful! Mowed today and got attacked by a blackberry vine...bled like crazy. I always carry tissues in my pockets for things like this but it took forever to stop bleeding. Guess I need to add some band aids in my pockets too! This is the first year in a long time that we have had actual blackberries on the vines. Lordy, Mike will want to pick them and make a cobbler! I see "RoundUp" in the near future! LOL

... And I don't even want to go there about the space heater.....girl, it could have been much worse! Be careful!
I Know. I happened to be sitting right next to it when it happened, so I put it out right away, but it still set the carpet on fire. Imagine if I had gone downstairs for something. Yikes!!!

Oh I’m sorry Nancy but :lofl:
OMG girl. You remind me of myself so much. I hope that didn’t scare you too badly.
After all the messing around with this mower, you finally get the belt on and run over a screw driver?
You can’t make this type of stuff up:laugh:
You are definitely as stubborn as me and that’s REALLY stubborn. Just sayin’

You be really careful with those space heaters. That part wasn’t so funny. :(

Hi Keesha. Another belt arrived in the mail last night. Ready to give it another try this evening.

The word is tenacious. I've got at least 2 more tries in me. ;)

Nona, right now I'm in between two physician appointments, and neither one is going to accomplish anything.

The one this morning was the ENT guy. Antibiotics did nothing. Still the same sinus problem, for which I have no symptoms. But I sure have symptoms from the antibiotics. He said he wouldn't worry about it, it's probably some kind of cyst, but would get a second opinion and call the recommendation in to the dental surgeon. That appt is this afternoon.

I'm sure the dental surgeon will just tell me what the ENT guy said, which I know already, and make another appointment. Wasted day, but at least I will have gotten it all done in one day.

Then I will check on the goat. Then I may try the lawnmower belt. I did get the front lawn mowed last night. Back one to go, maybe tomorrow, and I'm caught up again with lawn mowing. :)

Put in the 3rd lawnmower belt, mowed a few swaths across the yard, and it is working fine right now. I think the cable running to the wheels needs to be adjusted. It doesn't run at lightning speed like it used to. A couple of things worry me, that I'd like to check first, before starting a big job, but I won't go into the boring details.

If worse comes to worst, I'll just order the whole kit, and try it one more time. Still easier than trying to haul it somewhere, and I'm getting pretty good at taking it apart and putting it back together now. Lots of practice. :rolleyes:

Nona, right now I'm in between two physician appointments, and neither one is going to accomplish anything.

The one this morning was the ENT guy. Antibiotics did nothing. Still the same sinus problem, for which I have no symptoms. But I sure have symptoms from the antibiotics. He said he wouldn't worry about it, it's probably some kind of cyst, but would get a second opinion and call the recommendation in to the dental surgeon. That appt is this afternoon.

I'm sure the dental surgeon will just tell me what the ENT guy said, which I know already, and make another appointment. Wasted day, but at least I will have gotten it all done in one day.

Then I will check on the goat. Then I may try the lawnmower belt. I did get the front lawn mowed last night. Back one to go, maybe tomorrow, and I'm caught up again with lawn mowing. :)
Was the result of the visit to dental surgeon visit as you anticipated, Nancy? Finished with the antibiotic? Side effects resolved?
Laughing about your becoming so adept at taking the mower apart and putting it it back together. Hopefully you shall not have to again.

Was the result of the visit to dental surgeon visit as you anticipated, Nancy? Finished with the antibiotic? Side effects resolved?
Laughing about your becoming so adept at taking the mower apart and putting it it back together. Hopefully you shall not have to again.
Nona, it went just like predicted. All he did was schedule another appointment. Could have been done over the phone. I remember now, the ENT guy said he thought what I had was a mucous entrapment cyst. :p No infection. Very common. So the surgery will be another month away because of scheduling---wasted a whole month on a wild goose chase.

This rash is still hanging on. It just keeps moving around. This morning it's on my head and palm of right hand. :shrug: I think the only place it hasn't traveled yet is the bottoms of my feet. lol Of course I've been reading up on this. There is another possibility, that it is due to a virus, and not an allergic reaction. Some websites say it might go on for weeks, even months. :eewwk:

The surgeon said once you have an allergic reaction to Amoxicillin the first time, you will always have it. Maybe it would have happened eventually anyway, but if taking Amoxicillin for that many days is what triggered this, I'm not happy about it. He's changing to Cleosin (clindamycin) next time.

Interesting about a possible virus the cause of the rash. Cleosin is an older antibiotic. Sometimes used when someone has a sensitivity to others. Hope it helps.
Get well.

This rash is still hanging on. It just keeps moving around. This morning it's on my head and palm of right hand. :shrug: I think the only place it hasn't traveled yet is the bottoms of my feet. lol Of course I've been reading up on this. There is another possibility, that it is due to a virus, and not an allergic reaction. Some websites say it might go on for weeks, even months. :eewwk:

The surgeon said once you have an allergic reaction to Amoxicillin the first time, you will always have it. Maybe it would have happened eventually anyway, but if taking Amoxicillin for that many days is what triggered this.
My side affects have now cleared up, the rash was located on my back & lower legs. The worst part was my insteps on both feet. Taking benadryl for 3 days (7 doses), stopping the drugs (2 left) cleared up both the itching & redness. Tuesday I went back for a followup look see of the oral surgery. Everything was good, no pain afterwards. I did report the 1 side, the assistant said they've had reports of the allergy & can prescribe others. It is noted on my records & etched in my brain.

Dang Nancy, that rash does sound like a virus! But where in the world did you contact it from? This is just me, but sometimes I think treating and treating with prescriptions just makes it worse. What did people do years ago when there was no allergy medications or Amoxicillin? Oh wait....I guess they just either got better or "kicked the bucket"! I can't believe I said that! LOL You know I'm just kidding! They have made great strides in medicine over the years. I hope you find some relief soon and all this "stuff" just runs it's course and goes away!

Dang Nancy, that rash does sound like a virus! But where in the world did you contact it from? This is just me, but sometimes I think treating and treating with prescriptions just makes it worse. I hope you find some relief soon and all this "stuff" just runs it's course and goes away!

Hope I don't jinx this, but I think things have turned the corner. No new rashes or itching since this morning. :)

After the first day, and reading about the side effects, I quit taking the Prednisone he prescribed. That might have been a mistake as it turns out. It was to rule out allergies causing the sinus problems, but later I read it may *also* be useful to treat hives. Anyway I decided to get rid of those pills by taking one (10 mg) morning and evening, three days ago. Don't know if that helped or not. Might have gotten better anyway, as you say, just needed time to run its course.

I think treating sick goats, in life or death situations for 14 years, has made me more adventuresome in experimenting with medicine on myself. LOL Reading all the horror stories on the internet, about how long allergies can last, gave me a bit of a scare.

witchcraft.jpg

My side affects have now cleared up, the rash was located on my back & lower legs. The worst part was my insteps on both feet. Taking benadryl for 3 days (7 doses), stopping the drugs (2 left) cleared up both the itching & redness. Tuesday I went back for a followup look see of the oral surgery. Everything was good, no pain afterwards. I did report the 1 side, the assistant said they've had reports of the allergy & can prescribe others. It is noted on my records & etched in my brain.
That's great Roadwarrior. Sounds like you are out of the woods. I've been taking maximum doses of Benadryl too. I'm tempted to try Amoxicillin one more time, just to find out for sure. It would be a shame to rule it out forever, just because of a possible freak occurrence (in my case), now that I realize I'm not going to die from itching. LOL

Hey Nancy, have not been on here for a few days. Are you better? Hope so! I am back to my "sluggish" ways and have not got much accomplished. Got to get back to my "list" making...I seem to get more accomplished when I can actually mark something off a list! Been so humid here it is hard to get anything done outside. I have got to get out of this "slump". I consider myself an active person, guess I just need a big ole kick in the pants!

Hey Nancy, have not been on here for a few days. Are you better? Hope so! I am back to my "sluggish" ways and have not got much accomplished. Got to get back to my "list" making...I seem to get more accomplished when I can actually mark something off a list! Been so humid here it is hard to get anything done outside. I have got to get out of this "slump". I consider myself an active person, guess I just need a big ole kick in the pants!
Hi maggiemae. I've not been on here much either. It's good to hear from you. The itching has tapered off. Maybe it has become a habit and is all in my imagination now. Today I had to spray some weeds along the fence, and I'm imagining chiggers. :eewwk:

I was in a long slump too, but I'm starting to get back in the swing of things. Maybe I'll make a list right now!

It has rained almost every afternoon here, so tomorrow morning :)p) I'm going for 4 pieces of drywall---no more than I can cut and carry indoors, before the afternoon rains come. Tonight I hope to tackle the insulation again, use up what I have already, on the closet, and see if I need more. (Yuck, I hate insulation!)

Then I got a big bunch of hedge trimming to do, and I'm planning to cut 3 small trees out of the back yard and haul them off, but I forgot to bring the big saw in today.:( By then it will be time to start mowing again.:rolleyes: Keep in touch when you get some free time, and let us know what you're doing.

Back