New House Has Baseboard Heaters

Most rooms have them along two opposite walls. I'm not sure that placing furniture against them would block the vents. It severely limits what furniture I can place against the walls. I didn't consider this when I bought the house, although the corner cabinet left by the previous owner is right up against two of them.

Last edited:
Check out the previous owner's photos.... or are they gone already? See how she had her furniture placed. I'm not familiar with those baseboard heaters.

Last edited:
Baseboard heaters typically need at least 12 inches of space in front of the heater. You can place a couch or chair in front of a heater, but it must be at least a foot away. ... A door that comes within 12 inches in front of a heater is a fire hazard, just like furniture that is too close to a heater.Jun 23, 2021

Most rooms have them along two opposite walls. I'm not sure that placing furniture against them would block the vents. It severely limits what furniture I can place against the walls. I didn't consider this when I bought the house, although the corner cabinet left by the previous owner is right up against two of them.
Are they electric heaters or hot water?

My house has hot water baseboard heaters and we have furniture right up against them. They never seem to get anywhere near hot enough to start a fire, yet they heat the house nicely. Hot water heat from a boiler is very comfortable heat. It doesn't dry the air like furnace heat.

I'm just wondering about my bookcases and knickknack shelves. They have to be up against a solid wall. Photos are still available at realtor.com. Scroll through and see the former owner's content placement:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatea...pendence-Row_Stillwater_NY_12170_M38548-76478
Check out the pictures of your basement, next to the washer and dryer. You have hot water baseboard heat by the looks of the boiler with all the copper pipes coming out of it. So Irwin is correct with what he stated in his post above mine.

5887b94661429b6ca173427276c7a0ccl-m843945529xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg

Although my preference is forced air, we've had baseboard heat since 1990. 24 years with baseboard electric and 7 with hot water. Using some common sense, we've never had any problem.

In my experience, baseboard units are almost always located on exterior walls and under windows. With the normal covers in place, as Irwin said, they don't get hot enough to start a fire as long as there is reasonable room for air movement. You don't want to create a situation that causes serious heat buildup though. Here are a few thoughts:

If a heater cover is broken or missing I'd keep the area completely clear and have the cover repaired or replaced ASAP. (Note: This has never happened to me).

I would never install window treatments that are long enough to touch the heater cover.

The backs of our upholstered chairs and sofas slant a bit outward (backward) from the seats. When placed in front of a heating unit, if the top of the back is 3 or 4 inches from the wall that seems to leave plenty of room for air circulation.

An occasional table, curio cabinet, or bookshelf with legs that raise it above the heating unit isn't a problem, but you might want to leave an inch or two of space behind it, depending on its size.

We have an eight foot long credenza that sits directly on the floor. I would never put something like that in front of a heating unit.

Never pile clothes, papers, trash, &c. on top of a heating unit. Do not store flammable liquids near a heating unit.

Hope that helps.

the heaters ARE supplied by hot water
That is a good heat source! They cannot get hot enough to burn anything, and are probably shielded so they are not too hot to touch. Furniture near by should not be a problem. Is the boiler for the heat also your hot water supply for the house? If so you will have unlimited hot water.

Back