New Part D and Advantage plan benefits, enrollment for 2020

GreenSky

In about 5 weeks agents can start talking about new Part D and Advantage plan benefits. Enrollment for 2020 is October 15 - December 7.

Do you use an agent to help you and if so, does that agent contact you every year to review things?

Rick

In about 5 weeks agents can start talking about new Part D and Advantage plan benefits. Enrollment for 2020 is October 15 - December 7.

Do you use an agent to help you and if so, does that agent contact you every year to review things?

Rick
I had an agent here in Texas...usually we've only tended to look at the supplements if the monthly premiums have gone up. What's the point otherwise, Rick?

I had an agent here in Texas...usually we've only tended to look at the supplements if the monthly premiums have gone up. What's the point otherwise, Rick?
The question was does your agent review your DRUG PLAN and/or advantage plan during the annual election period? Or do you do it alone?

Rick

I look at the tiers in the drug plan to see if anything has changed, as it relates to me, and I read the dozens of brochures that come in the mail do a little checking online but that's about it.

IMO the most important thing is to read and understand the information that comes directly from medicare on what is covered, deductibles, etc...

I look at the tiers in the drug plan to see if anything has changed, as it relates to me, and I read the dozens of brochures that come in the mail do a little checking online but that's about it.

IMO the most important thing is to read and understand the information that comes directly from medicare on what is covered, deductibles, etc...

While I know I'm biases, wouldn't it be easier to talk with an independent agent so you won't spend so much time yourself. Plan change from year to year. I'm almost morally opposed to overpaying even $5. I hate supporting insurance companies.

But at least you do your due diligence and don't just renew from year to year as so many other do, for Part D, advantage and supplements.

Rick

The question was does your agent review your DRUG PLAN and/or advantage plan during the annual election period? Or do you do it alone?

Rick
Don't have advantage...have a supplement and Wellcare is our plan D plan which has been great.
Of course, thankfully, my husband only takes a couple of inexpensive generics - one of which is completely FREE from Wellcare. Way better than the Aetna plan we had before, that's a fact.

i switched from humana to aetna for part d ... i pay less for the stuff i need . so i have a high deductible F plan from humana and part d is aetna .
Aetna kept raising both our plan D and plan G ...gave us nothing and I do mean nothing. Wellcare is wonderful for generics. Thank God my husband and I are "knock on wood" healthy.
Our plan G provider is Philadelphia American...we saved over a hundred bucks a month on that one, too.

we are limited in new york . in fact there are very few insurers offering a high deductible f-plan here ..we love ours . i pay 90 a month and through silver neakers it covers the 40 i was paying my gym

I have a Humana Medicare PPO advantage plan that has the drug plan. My meds are tier two and are free. They are mail order and a 90 day supply. Short term meds go through Walgreens this year. I will read and see if there are any changes and decide if I want to go back to regular Medicare and have to buy a med plan and a supplement. So far its been cheaper to use Humana. I especially check co pays for rehab as I need it from time to time.

I have a Humana Medicare PPO advantage plan that has the drug plan. My meds are tier two and are free. They are mail order and a 90 day supply. Short term meds go through Walgreens this year. I will read and see if there are any changes and decide if I want to go back to regular Medicare and have to buy a med plan and a supplement. So far its been cheaper to use Humana. I especially check co pays for rehab as I need it from time to time.

There is an advantage plan in TX for zero premium, no network. $3,000 is deposited into an account that you can use, then a gap of about $4K to 100% coverage. I'm simplifying it quite a bit but for healthy people it can make sense. Go a couple of years without a major claim and you have enough in the account to pay for anything. Drawback is no Rx plan.

Rick

There is an advantage plan in TX for zero premium, no network. $3,000 is deposited into an account that you can use, then a gap of about $4K to 100% coverage. I'm simplifying it quite a bit but for healthy people it can make sense. Go a couple of years without a major claim and you have enough in the account to pay for anything. Drawback is no Rx plan.

Rick
How hard is it to get back on a traditional medi-gap supplement plan after being in one of these Advantage plans, Rick?

How hard is it to get back on a traditional medi-gap supplement plan after being in one of these Advantage plans, Rick?
As long as you can pass underwriting no problem.

But so many people are seduced by zero premium intel they have issues and need care. Then it’s too late to get a supplement.

Rick

As long as you can pass underwriting no problem.

But so many people are seduced by zero premium intel they have issues and need care. Then it’s too late to get a supplement.

Rick
And also just because you are "healthy" doesn't mean something else might happen to you, like accidents.

True but that wasn’t the question you asked.

Rick
Yeah, I know. Just thinking out loud...lol. Ran into our ex business partner at the grocery today...he's paying over 200 bucks each, for he and his wife on their monthly supplement from AARP.

an f-plan here in ny is over 300 a month per person . buthere in ny we can change plans with no under writing and we have no age based increases like most other states .. we pay over 2k a year less per person for a high deductible plan ... we may spend a few hundred out of pocket a year and keep the difference ... at the very worst it is no worse than the extra 2k it cost for the f-plan

an f-plan here in ny is over 300 a month per person . buthere in ny we can change plans with no under writing and we have no age based increases like most other states .. we pay over 2k a year less per person for a high deductible plan ... we may spend a few hundred out of pocket a year and keep the difference ... at the very worst it is no worse than the extra 2k it cost for the f-plan
Wow, that seems high. Know it does vary from state to state though. We are pretty fortunate so far, don't have to worry about any possible high out of pocket costs as far as I know... and have very good pricing on the supplements. Do feel for folks that can't afford to have the supplement insurances.

When you say underwriting, don't you mean pre existing conditions. I thought Obama care wiped out pre existing conditions. I could not pass as I had a stroke years ago and I am sure that would be a pre existing condition.

Our agent reviews Part D....we are using well care this year. We have Plan F and have been pleased with it, but the premiums are about $200 a month.
Assume you meant "each of you pay $200 a month? Sure Greensky can elaborate, but thinking if you go to plan G you could save maybe 800 or 900 bucks net (after you meet the 184. deduct each year). Its value added. Same benefits as F, just you pay the deduct. The premiums are certainly much lower. We switched. Know prices vary from state to state, that's a given.

Assume you meant "each of you pay $200 a month? Sure Greensky can elaborate, but thinking if you go to plan G you could save maybe 800 or 900 bucks net (after you meet the 184. deduct each year). Its value added. Same benefits as F, just you pay the deduct. The premiums are certainly much lower. We switched. Know prices vary from state to state, that's a given.
Yes, we each pay around $200. Thanks.

I will check to make sure my medications are covered.
I like my policy and the service, so unless there is an issue with the med, I won't change companies.

Yes, we each pay around $200. Thanks.

Rates in Florida are on the high side and UHC "owns" the state. But other companies provide the same benefits at lower cost.

I'm partial to Plan N for most people. But rarely, if ever, will a Plan F be a good value. Since I don't know your zip code I ran a comparison of Plan F vs. Plan G in Miami for a 70 year old woman. Going to Plan G saves about $500. The ONLY difference is who pays the annual deductible, currently $185. So why would anyone pay an insurance company $500 to save them $185?

Unfortunately, agents are lazy and it's easy to explain "you won't have to pay anything," instead of taking 30 seconds to explain exactly what I just wrote. It's really a shame that so many agents don't know what they're doing nor do they care about their clients.

Rick

Back