News Media Question from a 23 year old coworker

jnos

His question and observation expressed to me--being the wise old soul I am :rolleyes:--was:

"Why aren't "news" shows focused on subjects that are both factual, truthful and informative to their the public? Now it's slanted to the station's corporate bias, targeted to select audiences who will buy the product/services advertised, and filled with useless "infotainment." He also mentioned less emphasis on tragedies and calamities and more on good programs that people, organizations, cities, etc have put in place.

He's a very intelligent young man, has lived in several states and is quick to question the world he lives in. I like him a lot. His idea of news would include unbiased reports on voter issues--candidates for office,a clear presentation of both sides on initiatives and referendums up for vote, and status updates on bills currently in the house and senate, bills on the President's desk. etc.

Can we ever leave behind the corporate influence in media? Is there a way or is this what we're stuck with. :confused:

If you want factual less than biased information, people will have to tune into independant sources not associated or influenced by any particular leanings other than reporting the facts as presented. Most all other sources are influence by the bottom line and that is money. They have stock holders to please and their own pockets to fill, it has become purely a business, so whatever is going to bring in the money to keep ahead of next guy to bring in the money to stay far ahead of the curve financial is what will keep influencing what gets on the air. Seems sensationalism fact or not is what sells, if they step on toes miss report, they can clean up the facts later, no muss no serious fuss. Everyone is replaceable, everyone can be a scapegoat. Brian Williams who?

A friend of mine who is big on watching TV news recommends BBC World News. Available on one of the PBS channels in the US, I think -- maybe here as well: http://www.bbc.com/

"Why aren't "news" shows focused on subjects that are both factual, truthful and informative to their the public? Now it's slanted to the station's corporate bias, targeted to select audiences who will buy the product/services advertised, and filled with useless "infotainment." He also mentioned less emphasis on tragedies and calamities and more on good programs that people, organizations, cities, etc have put in place.

Can we ever leave behind the corporate influence in media? Is there a way or is this what we're stuck with. :confused:

Certainly an intelligent young man, I feel for his generation that hungers for untainted media. It will continue to be a battle of good vs. evil, as "they" that attempt to control the news have the power to control the perception of the masses.

If we stop watching the *news commentary* programs, they would eventually go away.

When I want actual news, I tune into my local news programs, BBC World News, and a couple of the public broadcasting news programs.

Very happy to hear of a young person asking questions like that!! I kind of do like Wrigleys for news. Can't stand the network talking heads!

Very happy to hear of a young person asking questions like that!! I kind of do like Wrigleys for news. Can't stand the network talking heads!

Never heard of a Wrigley's, is that a tv new show?

Doesn't really matter, what station, paper same deal if they don't move s certain amount of marget points regardless, the hammer will come down, things are just run different than they once were. Using Brian Williams was a bit of sarcasm, but even so Brian Williams is just one of who some of the others hope to be or attain face time, not necessarily my source or most people's source for news. Even so, I personally have a variety of places I use for finding out what's taking place locally and elsewhere. Having said that local news is notorious for completing for the most sensationalized angles to report a story

I get my news from CNN, CBS and BBC, etc., all on the internet. At least I don't have to listen to prattle I don't want to hear. I can select the subjects I'm interested in.

Like others have said above, I don't think we will ever get news that isn't slanted one way or the other, because it is a business and they want to make a profit.

"prattle', that's a big part of what the networks like to 'serve', during their news shows. Here in So. Calif. the L.A. stations are dominant, lotsa entertainment personality / celebrity gossip and worship...really quite nauseating. :yuk: Disney owns KABC(ch.7), so you can count on an extra effort to squeeze reality into more market share.

Back