No prices on menu

Is it a real "fancy" place or a regular diner or something? For the former, yes, if I could afford it (meaning if I were wealthy); for the latter, no, no way.

Yes if by no price and just a number, the number by the menu item is the price without the $$$ sign. .

Never ate at a restaurant that didn't have some kind of pricing.

In the past couple of years I have been to places that will list items on the menu but not the prices and in order to find out the prices one has to look them up using a QR code. From what I understand, with prices going up so fast, it is easier and cheaper for places to do that then to get new menus with updated prices. It is a pain, especially for those who do not use smart phones.

Yes if by no price and just a number, the number by the menu item is the price without the $$$ sign. .

Never ate at a restaurant that didn't have some kind of pricing.
Certain arty restaurants use a weird way of indicating the price. No dollar sign, and 50 cents is indicated by a decimal and a 5.

So if a breakfast wrap is $8 and coffee is $2.50, they will appear thus:

Breakfast wrap 8
Coffee 2.5

I don't see the advantage in being cryptic. But maybe there is one.

In some restaurants, the prices change according to factors such as availability. Maybe the barbecue restaurant doesn't want to print new menus every time meat prices go up or down.

Anyway, sure, I'd ask how much a couple of items cost, and take it from there.

If they’re absolutely no prices and I had to ask for each one, NO. If I’m seated, I know my husband would tell me to just pick something and not want me to walk out.

I can understand ”Market Pricing” on a few items that are seasonal. I don’t pick those anyway.

Places where the server tells you the specials and doesn’t mention the price are annoying. I think it’s to make you feel inadequate if you dare to ask. We got caught once on a regular item and a special that was very similar except it was many $ more. I always ask now.

In some restaurants, the prices change according to factors such as availability. Maybe the barbecue restaurant doesn't want to print new menus every time meat prices go up or down.
I've seen lobster and crap prices not be listed, as seasonal availability tends to dictate price. Maybe the same situation with red meat at the BBQ places.

Would you eat at a place that didn't put the prices of their items on the menu?
Did that today

We were home.....but still
Seriously, my lady knows the price of the meal, and every individual thing she serves, and what store, and when.
And recites them as she fills my plate
Sometimes she's a tad niggling with the helpings

That's pretty much when I ask the price of a couple more shakes of pepper

It used to be somewhat common in fancy places in the old days for the lady to be given a menu with no prices and the gentleman one with prices; the assumption being that since she's not going to be paying, why would she need to know the prices?

At the same time, the lady didn't do her own ordering. Oh, no, she'd tell her beau/husband what she wanted. Then when the waiter came, he'd address the gentleman to take his order and then would ask, "....and for your lady?"

I'm truly glad these days to not be invisible to waiters.

Nope, but not for the usual reasons.
Usual reasons: affordability, or 'ladies don't pay.'

In contrast, my reason: I take it as nose-in-the-air pretentious, which is something I dislike. I'd be "either drop the snooty act and be upfront, or you don't get my business." :cautious:

(and then I'd go to McDonald's, where I'd probably like the food better, anyway!) :)

I remember when Argentina had an inflation rate so staggering it was reported that customers demanded to pay when seated for fear the prices would go up while they ate.

If they wouldn't provide me with the price I wouldn't stay.
same thing happened in Greece..and the way the prices are rising here at super speed I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with the same

No I wouldn't, but there's also many resurants I wouldn't eat at that do have prices on their menus.

I have had many meals at upscale restaurants during my life but was never truly comfortable doing it. In my opinion it doesn't matter who the chef is or even how fabulous the meal and ambiance is once you get to a certain price point it's simply not worth it. I won't spend a weeks grocery money on one meal.

Back