Notified by SSA my benefits going up..because I turn 66 this month

Marie5656

In 2016, I retired on disability. At the time, I figured, that was it. And my benefits would be pretty consistent based on what I was getting. The other day, I got a letter from SSA telling me that since I am reaching the "full retirement age" of 66, my disability benefits would be discontinued and I would get full retirement benefits.
It means a significant increase per month...not thousands, but a few hundred dollars. I can live with that. Plus, it seems there was an error in what they raised my benefits based on Rick's death, so they are adding $20 to that as well.
Will I be rich? Of course not. But I will fell more comfortable emotionaly moving on, that I am not going to be the old lady living on Spam and cat food.

So, I am happy at this news

My husband also left his job on disability, 2 years ago. He will turn 66-4 months in 2022. We also assume the Disability will just roll into Soc. Sec. but it would be helpful if it went up a little. Glad to see good news!!

Marie:

I have been following your story. This is really good news, especially since you did not expect it. I am glad you will have a little more money.

Sadie

Thanks, Sadie. Welcome to the forum. I do want to do some traveling this summer, just day and weekend trips. So that will help me out.

These kinds of $$ surprises we can certainly live with....also expect a cost of living increase the first of each January....mine can be a few bucks or ten dollars plus some....its always a plus, right?

I don't remember getting a $$$ increase, of much if any, when mine changed from Disability to regular Soc Sec, but I am glad yours does!

But I do recall getting a hilariously worded letter, from SSA, regarding the changeover, which went something like; You are no longer Disabled. :oops:(y)

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oh, how I wish that was true!! But it still gives me a laugh, when I remember it! So, that is worth something to me!
;)

Last edited:

Back