Now, for the potato salad thread.

Marie5656

We have done the macaroni salad. Now to let the tater salad have its own thread. Mine is pretty simple.

I cube up cooked potatoes, with skins on.
Add 4 or so hard cooked eggs.
Miracle Whip (to taste)
mustard..also to taste.

What do you put in yours? Do you have a choice of the best potato to use? I like the russet

I use what ever potatoes I happen to have on hand. Usually a waxy type like baby new potatoes.
Gently simmer potatoes until fork tender. drain and cool. Peel and slice/cube potatoes
Some Italian salad dressing . Enough to coat the potatoes.
Miracle Whip
Chopped grn onions
Chopped celery
salad olives. The sliced/chopped kind. This really makes it a better salad. Huge difference.
a bit prepared yellow mustard
a tad of dry yellow mustard
paprika
salt to taste.
Chill, covered until needed.

Last edited:
For potato salad, I peel the potatoes while they are still too hot to handle and give them a splash of apple cider vinegar along with a good shake of salt and black pepper. I mix chopped hard-boiled eggs with finely chopped celery, green or red bell pepper and onion with Hellmann's mayonnaise, and then add the hot potatoes. If I have it I add a dollop of sour cream to the mayonnaise. The most difficult thing for me is getting the seasoning right when the potato salad is still warm. Potato salad needs a fair amount of salt and it doesn't taste right to me if the salt is added after the salad has been chilled.

Last edited:
Potatoes
butter
miracle whip
yellow mustard
tarragon vinegar
boiled eggs
chopped green onions
pickle relish
salt, pepper, parsley flakes, mustard seeds
Now that you remind me Jackie, I think there was also mustard powder and pickle relish in my grandmother's delicious potato salad. Your recipe is closer to it, IIRC.

Back