NYC cuts police budget by 1 billion dollars

If these "zones" are any indication they'll be begging for any police department to come to their town. I think a lot of towns will start contracting out their policing duties to other towns, the county or state to wash their hands of the liabilities. In the end some organization will be policing those streets.

When the crime statistics start to go up, and people have to be fearful of taking a walk, this Anti Police attitude will quickly change.

I don't think it will, actually. I think we have started on a downward slope that won't stop till we hit some kind of bottom. Not sure what that is going to look like but it won't be pretty.

I don't think it will, actually. I think we have started on a downward slope that won't stop till we hit some kind of bottom. Not sure what that is going to look like but it won't be pretty.

I agree 100%

Crime will have to get really bad in these cities until a majority of voters decide enough is enough, it’s a shame a few thousand protesters hold a city of millions hostage. If local officials begin the narrative of a national police force we all should worry, that has never ended well.

Think about this:

Who would want to join a police force today? Who would want to put up with the liability, the harassment, the abuse? The threats of "defunding" and "abolishing" the police force?

So we drive away the sane, rational applicants and attract the losers and lunatics. Great. That's the way our political system works, why not apply it to law enforcement.

Unfortunately, the city council didn't step back and look at the big picture. When you cut back on police force funds, we all know things like; adding new cops, offering training, purchasing equipment and weapons to fight drug cartels in NY and so on. Cops won't have the funds to investigate cold cases or search for missing people and New York has a lot of missing people. Nothing more heartbreaking than having a son or daughter go missing and no one available to look for them. I'm still looking for one person on my own time that I intend to solve before I leave this world. All on my own time and dime. I came very close this past spring, but then my source died on me.

Also, tourism will more than likely drop, which in turn will affect hotels, cabs, tourist attractions, restaurants, etc. Who wants to visit a huge city like New York and know that you may not have any protection? With all the gangs and gang-bangers in NY, I don't know if I would even consider it.

All this, plus homes and real estate in general will be devalued. Police protection is one thing many "family" buyers take into consideration when selecting a new home. Same for businesses. Would you build your business in a huge city not knowing if you and your employees will have a police presence? The only things that won't decline are taxes.

Think about this:

Who would want to join a police force today? Who would want to put up with the liability, the harassment, the abuse? The threats of "defunding" and "abolishing" the police force?

So we drive away the sane, rational applicants and attract the losers and lunatics. Great. That's the way our political system works, why not apply it to law enforcement.
What normally happens with low budget police forces that don't offer complete training and decent wages with benefits is that we see their hiring standards are not quite up to snuff. They may only accept anyone with a GED, instead of at least having a 2-year degree. Their entrance exams may not be the civil service type where the applicant has to have very good cognitive ability and be able to understand and make sense of comprehension questions. An applicant can't answer a question if he/she doesn't understand it.

I wish I could share some of the test answers that I have reviewed over the years. You would think that these applicants must have had a difficult time getting out of junior high school.

Last edited:
What normally happens with low budget police forces that don't offer complete training and decent wages with benefits is that we see their hiring standards are not quite up to snuff. They may only accept anyone with a GED, instead of at least having a 2-year degree. Their entrance exams may not be the civil service type where the applicant has to have very good cognitive ability and be able to understand and make sense of comprehension questions. An applicant can't answer a question if he/she doesn't understand it.

I wish I could share some of the test answers that I have reviewed over the years. You would think that these applicants must have had a difficult time getting out of junior high school.

One of the issues with numerous government jobs at the local and state level in particular is that many are handed out/traded like favors in many a locale. Around here it was known if you wanted to be so much as a sanitation worker or secretary one had to have a politician as a reference written or verbal. Over the decades several police civil service tests had to be rescored or re administered after some of these shenanigans were outed. Even in a big city one frequently still needs that political reference even though they hire en masse.

Point being in system where many were pushed through and there are deals galore effective training and policy making can be hampered. As bad as many want the job or as hard as they work at it many are in the job for a job, not for the love or improvement of it. Some 'sponsored' candidates work out well. Others not so well. Is a paycheck collector going to make a good policy maker

IMO: This will escalate into a crime spree over the U.S. Those most affected will be the poor and high crime areas. We can complain about the ludicrous decisions of defunding or cutting police budgets, but it changes nothing. What can we, as individuals do about it?
I have a "Support Law Enforcement"pendant on my front fence, but, again, what does that accomplish?

IMO: This will escalate into a crime spree over the U.S. Those most affected will be the poor and high crime areas. What can we, as individuals do about it?

It's already happening. Real Estate sales in the suburbs and more rural areas are starting to climb as city dwellers are looking for a way to escape this stupidity. If this trend gains momentum, and it probably will, even larger areas of the cities will become Ghetto's. The CoronaVirus has shown the positives for many millions of office workers to be able to work from home, and with minor improvements in internet capacity, many cities may well see a major migration away from the Core. If the police departments are gutted, those left behind will be ruled by the local drug gangs.

What @Gaer said.

The thing is, getting rid of the police altogether is just making it more easy for criminals to do whatever they do. Why wouldn't they, if the police had been gotten rid of and there was no one to stop them?

The best idea in my opinion would be to correct those police who need correcting (or fire them if they're not correctable). And publicize the fact that this was happening (both the correcting and the firing) so that people know that change is occurring.

Last edited:
Devi, I think the public should not interfere with Law Enforcement. They are quite capable of handling their internal affairs.
What right does a criminal, anarchist or felon have to demean, disrespect, cut their budget or defund their department? None!
Why should they have to publicize their internal actions? Ask 911. He's in Law Enforcement!

Well, they need money to paint "Black Lives Matter" in front of Trump Tower.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/po...0200624-6hspln2wcjbchjpwdlwfoqetnq-story.html
iu

What in the budget was cut? It is a huge budget so I would like to know exactly what items were reduced and or eliminated. The person that started the phrase "Defund The Police" should be put on the first plane out of the country. What exactly does it mean? All cities will do it differently.

Back