NYC Might Elect First Smoker as Mayor Since '65

Kathryn Garcia says she plans to quit.

New Yorkers will choose their candidates for mayor in primaries next week—and the New York Post has zeroed in on something unusual about Kathryn Garcia, one of the Democratic front-runners. Garcia, the city's former sanitation commissioner, smokes up to a pack of Marlboro Golds a day. If she gets elected and is unable to kick the habit, she would become the city's first cigarette-smoking mayor since Robert Wagner left office in 1965, according to the Post, though Rudy Giuliani was a cigar smoker.

https://www.newser.com/story/307539/nyc-might-elect-first-smoker-as-mayor-since-65.html

It's not the mayor, but Barack Obama was (is) a smoker. tsk, tsk. I thought Garcia sounds like a smoker. She's my pick, if I may say so without adding another word about it..........;)

I thought all Gov-buildings were declared smoke free two decades ago ?

Did Barack Hussein Obama smoke 'in' the white house ? We'll never know.

My thoughts exactly. No it doesn't. So what difference should it make if a person smokes or not?
Worked with a lot of smokers who basically doubled or tripled their break time by stepping outside to smoke like they had medication to take.

It's not the smoking it's where one has to smoke while at the worksite albeit an office building

Well according to the NYC Statute update the smoking ban concerning cigarettes in about 99% of the real estate in Manhattan she might avoid arrest at the edge of pier 9 on the North River. However as of now of now she can smoke a joint, spliff, doob, herb, roach, etc, etc, etc at her desk in city Hall, in her bed at Gracie Mansion and especially at 27 East 39th Street, New York, New York 10016

www.audacy.com/1010wins/news/local/video-man-smokes-pot-in-front-of-nypd-after-legalization

www.nycbynatives.com/visitors_center/smoking_in_nyc.php

I guess they didn't get the department e-mail.

https://www.youtube.com/user/NYCSmokeFree/featured

Worked with a lot of smokers who basically doubled or tripled their break time by stepping outside to smoke like they had medication to take.

It's not the smoking it's where one has to smoke while at the worksite albeit an office building
When I was a smoker I took two breaks to smoke per day. Each one took exactly three minutes. Meanwhile my non smoking co-workers seldom took breaks away from their desks at all. The just ate food at their desks and talked on the phone all day long. End of day totals proved I did almost twice the work they did. There's nothing like nicotine to focus the mind.

So are all the smokers in Manhattan moving? Can they smoke inside their own homes?

I really don't see what that has to do with whether or not the gal can do her job.

When I was a smoker I took two breaks to smoke per day. Each one took exactly three minutes. Meanwhile my non smoking co-workers seldom took breaks away from their desks at all. The just ate food at their desks and talked on the phone all day long. End of day totals proved I did almost twice the work they did. There's nothing like nicotine to focus the mind.
Same here. I went out had a smoke and came back in and did my job. I still did more than the non-smokers back then.

Back