Obsolete things that were once important to us

A Briggs & Stratton single-cylinder 6-horsepower engine that powered our 15-year-old Simplicity rototiller. Due to piston-ring problems, the cylinder became scored. A mechanic friend and I dismantled the engine and found a connecting-rod defect, too. Figured it would cost a few hundred bucks to replace the parts.

Parts not available! The option: buy a replacement engine. In searching for that, I learned the Simplicity company had chosen a "racing engine" (go-cart type?) to power the tiller, and had designed the machine around the engine's specific dimensions. Via many sources, I searched for a replacement engine, within both Canada & the U.S. Scads of emails & phone calls, but nobody could supply an engine that would fit.

Early on, I'd tried my best to contact the Simplicity company, but they'd been bought by Briggs & Stratton... and, so far as I could learn, Briggs had shut that company down. My inquiries to B&S went thud! (not interested in replying)

The upshot to this is that I had to dispense with the frame, drive train, and other basics of that tiller and buy a tiller (used, but reconditioned).

Last edited:
As a kid I lived in the mountains of Colorado. I recall my mom asking me to run downstairs and check that we still had coal in the coal bin. I also had to check the hopper, if it was low or empty, the fire in the furnace would go off.

Glad we don't have to do that anymore...or even use coal to heat our homes...at least not where we live...

Like this? lol.

Those old B&S engines are almost always rebuildable, and parts are still available. This one is on my bench right now, just putting it back together. 1934 B&S model Z, rated at 6hp., just what you needed!
The local small-equipment dealers are able to obtain a lot of different B&G engines but they told me specifically, not from B&G's special "racing engine" list. That's what set me off on a wider search, which turned up nothing. It was a matter of specifics such as the rpm operating range, the outside engine dimensions, the exterior bolt pattern, and how the throttle cable would connect.

I have an old Rolodex that used to belong to my MIL. Amazon still sells the refill cards. I really like just flipping through the cards for a number. I miss hearing the change drop into a payphone, of being able to talk to an operator. I also miss the smell of mimeographed copies!

Back