Oil and Vinegar Dressing and Chicken Scallopini recipe

Camper6

This is a cruet that we have had for years to make oil and vinegar dressing. Can be used for salads.
So I am giving the proportions shown in the picture. I also use it as a marinade and will give a recipe for chicken which turns out really tender and tasty.

For the dressing.
2 ounces of vinegar
2 ounces of water
4 ounces of vegetable oil. Olive oil. Whatever oil you have. Shake it and mix it up. I think that's where the water comes in. It emulsifies the oil.

For the chicken recipe. Scallopini means a thin cut. Sometimes the market has it. Chicken breast cut thin. Otherwise just cut the breast in thin strips about 1/4 inch thick. Breading of your choice. Sometimes I use crushed potato chips.

Using a serrated mallet. Pound the strip to tenderize it. This breaks down the fibers.
Then marinate it in the dressing for about two hours. Save some of the dressing for the salad.
Next coat the chicken fillets with flour.
Next. One egg with a bit of milk beaten.
Dip the fillets in the egg.
Next. Dip the fillets in the breading mix and coat them well.
Spray aluminum foil or coat the foil with oil.
Place the fillets on the foil and bake it in the oven.
I usually like to heat the oven to 400 degrees because it crisps the breading.
Ovens are different so I don't know the time. I used my toaster oven. Cruet.jpgI just cook it until it's done to about 165 degrees. You can measure if you have a thermometer. It should be nice and white inside.

Enjoy one of the most tender chicken recipes you will encounter.

Last edited:
I guarantee that if it's not the most tender chicken you ever ate I will get you your money back.

If you have some, try some lemon pepper seasoning in the bread crumbs.
I trust you! LOL!

I love chicken dishes, and your idea to season the bread crumbs with lemon pepper sounds so good!

I'll revisit this thread to post a follow-up after I try it!

Camper. Haven't tried your recipe yet, but it's at the top of my list!

Will post a follow-up after I make it. Should be between this week and next! :)

Until I read this recipe, I'd always thought oil and vinegar in a glass cruet was something my mother made up. I never had store-bought salad dressing til I was an adult on my own (Wishbone, etc.).
We never had store-bought salad dressings in our home when I was a child either.

I never use regular vinegar rather sweet Asian vinegar & virgin olive oil and a splash of one of many salad dressings depending on the mood.
Asian vinegar would be rice vinegar I think. I do like wine vinegar.And in Canada it's common to sprinkle malt vinegar on french fries. I can't tell the difference between virgin olive oil and ordinary olive oil.

Ykies @Camper6 !!

You said
Then marinate it in the dressing for about two hours. Save some of the dressing for the salad.

The recipe sounds great, but I sure hope nobody has saved some of the dressing for salad, as it's it's been contaminated by the raw chicken. Super dangerous to be sure.

I sure don't want to sound bossy, but for the sake of food safety, it should be edited to read....
Save some of the dressing for the salad. Then marinate it in the remaining dressing for about two hours..

Last edited:
Where I'm from dressing for a salad is the liquid . You I think are talking about what we call stuffing. I hate stuffing. You save the salad dressing which is oil and vinegar long before it even gets close to the chicken not after its used as a marinade. You split it. Some to marinade and some for the salad. The marinade gets thrown out.

Where I'm from dressing for a salad is the liquid . You I think are talking about what we call stuffing. I hate stuffing. You save the salad dressing which is oil and vinegar long before it even gets close to the chicken not after its used as a marinade. You split it. Some to marinade and some for the salad. The marinade gets thrown out.
OK, You and I are saying the same thing in another way, Camper. "Stuffing, i.e. Dressing"is a whole nutter thing, and not related to your recipe or my point in any way.
The recipe could have been worded more clearly is my point. I know neither one of us would want a novice cook to misunderstand that chicken marinade should always be discarded unless it's boiled, to be safe to consume.
Please see the problem with your OP.

Do me a favor. Correct the wording for me and I can edit it. You are fairly new here. We have plenty of members who know how to cook. I didn't say save some of the marinade which is what you are intimating. I said save some of the dressing.

Sounds really nice @Camper6 I always use panko crumbs now days for crumbing fish or chicken
it gives a little extra crunch , We had crumbed fish last night đź‘Ť

When I make a salad I always use a very similar method to you but cause I have a lemon tree im never without a lemon so I use lemon instead of vinegar

The lemon would be good along with the oil and vinegar dressing in the marinade. Lemon is acidic and vinegar is acidic so that would help tenderize the chicken. I'll try that next time and I have never tried Panko so that's my next taste test.

What kind of fish is popular in Australia? Here it's fresh water fish of different varieties. Lake trout, walleye, Rainbow trout. In restaurants it's Cod fish. Sport fish like speckled trout are not available in markets as they are banned from being sold. My favorite now is Arctic Char. It's a farmed fish but it's also available shipped in frozen.

Do me a favor. Correct the wording for me and I can edit it. You are fairly new here. We have plenty of members who know how to cook. I didn't say save some of the marinade which is what you are intimating. I said save some of the dressing.
Camper, I'm sorry you seem offended by my suggestion for the wording of your recipe, but I tried to explain. Yes, I'm new here but you seem to feel I've stepped on your toes, and that was never my intention. I also am an experienced cook, and I'm sure there are many here. I'm a long time active member on a cooking site where I've learned how to write a recipe correctly, and how important it is to be very clear to even someone who has no experience in cooking.
You did not say to save the dressing before marinating the chicken.

This is the way it should read.......Save some of the dressing for the salad. Then marinate it in the remaining dressing for about two hours..

The lemon would be good along with the oil and vinegar dressing in the marinade. Lemon is acidic and vinegar is acidic so that would help tenderize the chicken. I'll try that next time and I have never tried Panko so that's my next taste test.

What kind of fish is popular in Australia? Here it's fresh water fish of different varieties. Lake trout, walleye, Rainbow trout. In restaurants it's Cod fish. Sport fish like speckled trout are not available in markets as they are banned from being sold. My favorite now is Arctic Char. It's a farmed fish but it's also available shipped in frozen.
We live in fishing town the best fish caught/ sold here is snapper / king George whiting / flathead
snook which all cost between $40~ $60 kg
I buy Panko crumbs from Aldi they are cheaper there than other stores like Woolworths / Coles
after you try panko on your fish / chicken you won’t go back to the old breadcrumbs.
@Camper6

Copied from net ..
Panko bread crumbs is a Japanese-style bread crumb made from white bread without the crusts. This results in a lighter, airier bread crumb that absorbs less grease and stays crispier for longer than their traditional counterparts.

Last edited:
We live in fishing town the best fish caught/ sold here is snapper / king George whiting / flathead
snook which all cost between $40~ $60 kg
I buy Panko crumbs from Aldi they are cheaper there than other stores like Woolworths / Coles
after you try panko on your fish / chicken you won’t go back to the old breadcrumbs
Use panko crumbs to make shrimp tempura. Mmmm! Fortunately, I am not allergic to shellfish. I really like the whiting there :)

Where we are it’s claimed to be the best whiting fishing in Australia @Pinky of course I’m only going on what the locals brag about :):)
Its a long weekend next weekend so The boat parking area / the sides of the road leading to,the huge parking area will be full to the brim with visitors boat trailers of all shapes and sizes.
There is some huge snapper caught here as well ,I like snapper but hubby likes whiting

Back