Old fashioned names we hardly hear today

A family friend's daughter is named Antoinette, but goes by Toni. Her mother is from Austria so that kind of explains that. (Think Marie Antoinette). I think it's pretty.

A family friend's daughter is named Antoinette, but goes by Toni. Her mother is from Austria so that kind of explains that. (Think Marie Antoinette). I think it's pretty.
Yes I like that name!!

My father apparently wanted to call me Alision (he thought it was French for Alison) ...thank goodness my mother talked him out of it. I hate the name I was given, but I'm sure I would have hated Alision more..

We were stationed in Turkey with a couple who had a baby who they named "Honey". Bad enough, that.....but when the birth certificate came back from the consulate, it was misspelled "Hokey". AND, they decided they liked "Hokey" and planned to leave it at that. We left shortly afterward, and I only hope someone talked them out of it.
I only hope they had another kid and named it "Pokey," because that's what it's all about!

Of course, it'll be tough dressing them, when they're kids: You'll put their left feet in, they'll pull their left feet out.......

"Myrtle" has already been mentioned, but, shucks, even back in the 1950s, the only "Myrtles" I ever heard were friends and peers of my maternal grandmother who was born in 1892!

Lots of Olivers and Olivias in the past 5 years. My daughter teaches 8th grade. School began this past week - when we saw each other over the weekend she mentioned having 3 Emmas in one class alone!

Used to babysit for two mothers... Mary-Jane and Florrie.

Next door to us (childhood home) was Beatrice, and her daughter who lived right next to her... Addie, and across the alley from us was Maxine (whom I also babysat for).

And just like the Flintstones, there was a Wilma, who taught me how to ski when I was in elementary school.

Vivian and Cecilia, ran our church nursery, and June, was the owner of a corner store where I worked part-time.

Beatrice has become quite popular here since the Duchess of york named her first born Beatrice..

I haven't heard Vivian for years..my best friend at school was Vivian and we had a Cecilia (and her sister Dorothy) in the foster homes I was in as a child

Last edited:

Back