Oldman tell us your stories about your flying experiences.

Many years ago, Dave and I were on our way to Bali. We were in business class on a 747, so upstairs. I was curious about what the cockpit looked like, so I asked the stewardess if I could visit the cockpit, so she asked the Captain, and he said YES! Dave was shocked. And then jealous! I got to sit behind the pilot, and remember being surprised that there wasn't a wheel (yoke?) , but a joystick. The pilots were wonderful, pointing out the coast of Viet Nam and whatnot. They invited me back when we landed in Denpasar. That was incredible! Airport was right on the ocean. It was all I could do as we got lower and lower not to start shouting, "Pull up! Pull up!" LOL! This was before 9/11 of course.

Many years ago, Dave and I were on our way to Bali. We were in business class on a 747, so upstairs. I was curious about what the cockpit looked like, so I asked the stewardess if I could visit the cockpit, so she asked the Captain, and he said YES! Dave was shocked. And then jealous! I got to sit behind the pilot, and remember being surprised that there wasn't a wheel (yoke?) , but a joystick. The pilots were wonderful, pointing out the coast of Viet Nam and whatnot. They invited me back when we landed in Denpasar. That was incredible! Airport was right on the ocean. It was all I could do as we got lower and lower not to start shouting, "Pull up! Pull up!" LOL! This was before 9/11 of course.
Well, seriously, I flew the 747 for just a little over two years. All Boeing planes, which the 747 is made by Boeing, only uses a yoke or some call it a control wheel. Only the Airbus has a side-stick or joystick. Using the side-stick is also called “fly by wire” technology.

I know that Boeing played around with the side-stick, so you must have been on one of their experimental planes with the side-stick. In today’s aviation world, it’s really up to the airlines’ policies who and who cannot visit the cockpit. We do allow them, but only if the plane is on the ground and if it’s convenient for the pilots to do so. United has strict protocols in place for pilots that need to use the lavatory. Look at what happened when the pilot left the cockpit in the Germanwings plane that flew into the Alps.

Well, I'm sure you're right. I got to do this experience a couple times -- once when taking off from the old Tai Tak Airport in Hong Kong on a rainy morning. So amazing. Dave came along that time. He wasn't bold enough to ask, but he sure was glad when I asked on both our behalves. I really admire pilots. The airline was Cathay Pacific. One of the most memorable experiences of my life, and I've had some memories!

Well, I'm sure you're right. I got to do this experience a couple times -- once when taking off from the old Tai Tak Airport in Hong Kong on a rainy morning. So amazing. Dave came along that time. He wasn't bold enough to ask, but he sure was glad when I asked on both our behalves. I really admire pilots. The airline was Cathay Pacific. One of the most memorable experiences of my life, and I've had some memories!
Funny you should mention Cathay Pacific. Back in the mid 70’s before, I started flying, I worked for DuPont as an Engineer. My region if coverage included the Far East. The first time that I went to Singapore, we had a change of planes in Hong Kong at the old airport. We were told by a flight attendant while preparing to land that a Cathay Pacific 747 had overshot the runway the day before and ended in the drink. If you remember correctly, that airport’s runways were actually surrounded by water.

I remember when were landing in HK, we came in over the city between two buildings and the pilot had to actually tilt (roll) the plane on its side by maybe 5-10 degrees to get the plane between the two buildings without striking a wing.

Cathay Pacific, as do many of the Far East airlines, includes a lot of frills with their flights. The top airline with frills in my opinion goes to Singapore Airlines. While at DuPont, when we flew, we flew first class. Singapore Air treated us like royalty.

When you were in China, did you happen to visit any of the wet markets? How about Nathan Road for shopping? I bought my wife a beautiful opal and diamond ring in a small shop on Nathan Road for only $550.00. I was careful about buying it. I even had the diamonds tested for hardness. When I got home and before I gave the ring to my wife, I showed it to a jeweler for his opinion. He asked me how much did I pay. When I told him what I had paid, I also thought “Oh boy. I probably got screwed.” He told me that I got a really good deal and that he would probably charge about $900.00. It had 3 or 4 small diamonds that weighed 250 points total or a quarter carat.

Before the flight takes off, the Captain and F/O (First Officer) decide who’s is doing what. IOW, if the Captain flies the plane, then the F/O will watch the gauges and do the communications. Normally, about halfway through the flight, we will switch roles. It’s really up to the Captain, if there is a dispute. All pilots need ‘x’ amount of takeoffs and landings per month to keep their certifications.

After the plane takes off and we get up to about 1500 feet, I will turn on the Autopilot (A/P) and let the automation take over and do the climb and if I am flying the plane, I will keep an eye on everything else. I like to do what’s called step climb. If our cruising altitude is going to be 36,000 feet, I will climb to 12,000, back off on the thrust for a few minutes, then climb to 24,000 and do the same thing, then make my last climb to 36,000. Doing this puts less stress on the engines and makes it more comfortable for the passengers by allowing their bodies to adjust to the pressurization. Step climbing also saves fuel. Did you ever wonder what the outside temperature was at 36,000 ft.? How about -50 degrees or around there.

I've always wanted to know that. Thanks for explaining it. What do you think will happen to the airline industry after this plague is over? Will it normalize?
Oh, jeez. Good question. I would be surprised if we see a sudden surge in passengers. Many will probably give it a few weeks to see if anyone is getting sick. If after that time no one has been infected, then hopefully, we may get back on track.

This is truly a shame. The airlines were doing really well and now this. Pilots and flight attendants are being furloughed, planes are sitting and in some instances, airports are seeing 95% less passengers. I have heard from pilots telling me that they have flown trips across country with as few as 10 people onboard.

Just watched "Fate is the Hunter" Glenn Ford and Rod Taylor. (1964 before your time) Put into perspective the seriousness of a pilot's responsibilities! Wow!

Last edited:
Just watched "Fate is the Hunter" Glenn Ford and Rod Taylor. (1964 before your time) Put into perspective the seriousness of a pilot's responsibilities! Wow!
I have heard others talk about this movie, but I have never watched it. I just read the synopsis and I think it would make could watching.

I think everyone remembers Sulley Sullenberger's "Miracle on the Hudson" feat that he pulled off landing his Airbus A320 on the river. Well, did you know that the NTSB tried to blame the accident on Sulley?

During the hearings in front of the NTSB and the FAA, they tried to say that he had one engine running at the time of the accident and he could have made it back to LaGuardia or over to Teterboro, NJ and landed safely. This meant that the accident was caused by pilot error and his career would have been over and he would not have been the hero everyone thought he was.

The Miracle on the Hudson accident. After the accident, the NTSB did their job by investigating the accident. They determined that the right engine was still running and the Airbus A320 is very capable of still flying with only one engine. On every passenger plane there is a system called "ACARS," which stands for "Aircraft Communications Addressing and Reporting System." This system automatically sends and receives messages on the condition of the plane back to United's central maintenance department and also receives messages on ground issues, such as landing systems and other technical items. (This is really hard to explain to someone that has no knowledge of aviation.) But, anyway, ACARS had reported that Sully had one engine running, which he later proved was a mistake by the reporting system.

Next, the NTSB also stated that even if both engines had gone out, he should have had enough power left to make the landing in Teterboro. The NTSB proved this by doing it over and over in the simulators. Sully stated that he didn't disagree with their finding, except that the pilot in the sims knew what was about to happen and therefore; was prepared and had a mental plan of what he was going to do. Whereas; Sulley had to think about his decision and formulate a plan all the while the plane was slowing down and losing altitude. He thought his only chance was to land on the Hudson. He made the right choice. Had he tried for Teterboro, he would have crashed landed short of the runway. They finally accepted his theories and agreed that he made the right decision. But, to hear Sully tell the story in real life and not in front of the cameras, (because he doesn't go into great details), this man was put through hell trying to prove his theories with why and what he did. The guy is definitely a hero in my book. He saved his passengers and like what we that are in the business often say, "Any landing you walk away from is a good landing."

The full story is documented on Wikipedia and makes really good reading.

Last edited:
How many different types of aircraft have you flown? Of all of them, which is your favorite? WhY? Did this come easy and naturally for you or was it something you struggled to plan and carry out?

Not counting the two different props that I flew at school, plus one jet, I have flown and have certifications for four different size Boeing planes.
The 737, 747, 757 and 767. My favorite is the B-767, which is a two-aisle plane seating about 300 passengers. Because the 757 and 767 have almost identical avionics, I was able to alternate between the two planes. Most airlines, including United, restrict their pilots to flying only one size or model of aircraft. The more familiar a pilot is with that particular plane, the less likelihood of the pilot having issues. That doesn't mean that a pilot cannot switch aircraft during his career at any airline, he just has to prove himself by going through the training for the plane he wants to fly by training in simulators and then also flying a real plane on a real trip with a "check pilot" who goes along on the flight or flights, depending on how well he handles the new plane. Once he passes the tests involved, he receives a certification to fly that plane.

The 767 is my favorite because it was the first plane that I had flown with all digital avionics. It was heavy, which gave us a better ride and I just felt very comfortable flying the plane. When I first started flying the 767 simulator, I thought maybe I had bit off more than I could chew, but the more I flew it, the more comfortable it became to me. It was a big jump from the 737 to the 767. I liked the ride, avionics and the fact that I could carry more passengers, but the number one reason was that I was able to fly longer trips, like Washington to LA or San Francisco non stop. A 5 1/2 hour flight was something that I had been longing for. Those short jumps, like two hours or less are made for pilots who enjoy flying several legs in one day.

After I had flown the 757/767 for maybe two months, it was like sitting in my living room. It's not the plane that becomes troublesome, it's the environmental things like, extreme heat or extreme cold, heavy snow or rain, sleet or hail, high winds or circling winds. Things like that will cause a pilot concern and test their fortitude. If we get into some heavy weather and I would have to turn off the A/P (Auto Pilot) and hand-fly the aircraft, it becomes more challenging. During these times, it allows the pilot to use his skills as an aviator and his goal then becomes to get everyone on the ground safely. Safety is always priority one.

Thanks for asking this question. I hope that anyone who may have read my answers has a better understanding of what pilots are expected to know during those times when a pilot cannot allow the A/P to do his flying for him. We also have to spend 'x' amount of hours a year in the simulator under different conditions. You can be flying along and all of a sudden the number one engine flames out. OMG, now what do I do? Or, maybe the rear cargo door flies off while at 37,000 feet. Another, OMG, what do I do? These are just a few of the programs that are put into the simulator. You're sitting there just flying along and BAM! Something goes wrong. The check pilot inside the simulator with you is carefully watching as you make the necessary adjustments or changes to get out of a bad situation. Hopefully, you're up to the challenge because you are being graded.

"Come fly the friendly skies of United." (I love that slogan.) The new slogan is "It's time to fly." (Blah.)

Wow! I hope everyone on the forum reads what you just wrote! You really have to test your mettle not only on the simulator but on every flight! Anything could happen at any second! All those lives at stake! The way you write this makes us feel all the excitement. You explain it all so well! Thank you! Pinky and i are at the edge of our seats! Please,we want to hear more!

Question: Well, two questions. Is there quite a difference between flying in the daytime or flying at night? I know it's on auto in the skies but I mean lifting and landing?
Also, I know this pertains to smaller planes, but you would know; On the airlines you fly, they have along ,long landing strip for safety but on the small planes, who have to land on carriers or (like in Sitka) have to land on a terribly short landing strip, how do they do it? Is it dangerous? Do they have to pull an emergency brake or something? What are the chances they might nosedive?

The scariest crash in my mind was the flight that flew inverted (upside down) for several minutes before crashing in to the sea. Imagine the passengers on that plane in the final minutes.

Are you studying to be a pilot? Second question first. Landing on a carrier takes a lot of skill. I have spoken with pilots that put their plane into the drink trying to land on a flattop. Pilots that land on a carrier have a marked area to set the plane down on. When they do it correctly, their plane’s tailhook should grab the arresting cable on the carrier that will help stop the plane. I can’t go much further with this explanation because I am not familiar with the mechanics of how the system works. I just know what pilots have told me when they flew in the Navy and Marines.

As for landing at airports, some also have tailhooks. I really don’t have a lot of experience landing planes on short runways. I never had that experience, except with landing the small planes that I flew at flight school.

Not really a lot of difference with taking off and landing between day and night. It’s really all about the wind direction and how much wind. We take off into the wind to gain lift. The flaps and slats have to be extended (not totally) prior to takeoff. Normally, we extend the flaps and slats on the way out to the runway. This gives the plane more lift. As we climb into a higher altitude, the air becomes lighter, so we can retract the flaps and slats just a bit, so to decrease drag. It’s really beautiful flying into large cities at night, if it’s clear. Landing is much the same, except as we descend, we also have to begin extending the flaps and slats to keep from stalling and to keep the plane aloft. As we continue to descend, we also have to continue to slow the plane and also continue to extend the flaps and slats. Often, our landing speed is about 170-160 mph.
So, considering that we were flying at about 480-500 mph, we have to slow down considerably and it has to be done slowly or we could cause the plane to come apart. If you have ever taken notice, the last 2-3000 feet, the flaps are fully extended and angled down. This gives the plane more lift and slows the plane with drag at the same time. Upon landing, just a few moments before touchdown, we idle the accelerators and at touchdown, we pull back on the thrust reversers and engage the spoilers while applying the brakes.

Oh, jeez. Good question. I would be surprised if we see a sudden surge in passengers. Many will probably give it a few weeks to see if anyone is getting sick. If after that time no one has been infected, then hopefully, we may get back on track.

This is truly a shame. The airlines were doing really well and now this. Pilots and flight attendants are being furloughed, planes are sitting and in some instances, airports are seeing 95% less passengers. I have heard from pilots telling me that they have flown trips across country with as few as 10 people onboard.
How can they afford to fly with so few passengers? Surely it cost much more than that to fly.

As for landing at airports, some also have tailhooks.
Interesting! I wasn't aware of this so I had to look it up. As best as I can tell, arresting cables at commercial airports are limited to fields that have a military presence and are only used by military aircraft. I wasn't able to find any reference to private or commercial aircraft equipped with tail hooks. Fascinating concept though. :)

Gaer, a F/A-18 Super Hornet hits a carrier deck at 150-175 mph and is brought to a full stop in less than two seconds! Rather abrupt., eh?

Interesting! I wasn't aware of this so I had to look it up. As best as I can tell, arresting cables at commercial airports are limited to fields that have a military presence and are only used by military aircraft. I wasn't able to find any reference to private or commercial aircraft equipped with tail hooks. Fascinating concept though. :)

Gaer, a F/A-18 Super Hornet hits a carrier deck at 150-175 mph and is brought to a full stop in less than two seconds! Rather abrupt., eh?
There are no passenger jets that have a tailhook that I am aware of and yes, I was referring to military jets only. I try to be as accurate as I can, but sometimes my fingers type faster than my mind works.

I have been told by pilots that flew in the military that the G-force is terrific when flying and doing acrobatic stunts. I would think being stopped in less than two seconds while going 175 mph is also something else. I never saw in the cockpit of a fighter jet, but there must be a special seat for them to be able to keep their neck from snapping. Maybe something like that of a NASCAR car's seat.

Have you ever stalled?
Oh, I'm sorry if I'm asking too many questions.
Don't be sorry. It's cool. I just have to think a lot sometimes before I answer. I wanted to also state another reason why pilots must descend at a slower rate than say a fighter jet. Even though we have a pressurized cabin, it's possible that if we descend to rapidly passengers and crew (without using oxygen) could become dazed and confused by falling victim to spacial disorientation. It puts the person into a state of confusion. It's like when we were kids and we would spin around and around several times and then stop suddenly, What happened? We ended up falling on the ground. This is an example of being disoriented.

Back