OMG, I'm panicking:(

Denise1952

I ran my credit reports because of the identity theft and there are phone numbers on there I've never had, addresses, and a mortgage for a house in S.E. Portland that is definitely not mine. I'm sorry, but I am scared crapless now:(

Report it asap to the credit card company, the police and whomever they tell you to contact. Don't be scared. Its going to be a pita to get this all straightened out and crooks thrown in jail, but what can they really do to you? Nothing. Except bad credit score. And nowadays, that means squat.

Get that information to the police officer who is in charge of your report, and let him know what you have found ! !
Run those phone numbers and the address through a google search, and see what name they come back with. If not available, then call the phone company and explain that they are from an identity theft, and you need to know who has those numbers so you can inform the police.
If you can, try to see who is living in the house. If you put in the address on maps, you can see what the house looks like.
It is a good possibility that the police will be able to catch this person with that information.
The more you can tell them, the less they can hold you responsible for; so get it to the police officer ASAP ! !
Get ahold of SS right away and see what they can tell you. Go right to the office if you can, Denise.

Ok, I have reported it to the Credit Bureau, Law Enforcement, talked to IRS today personally, done all the right stuff. Even called legal aid, but can't get a live person until after 2pm. I am so scared they will somehow take away what little Social Security I have coming when I turn 62 in December.

Get that information to the police officer who is in charge of your report, and let him know what you have found ! !
Run those phone numbers and the address through a google search, and see what name they come back with. If not available, then call the phone company and explain that they are from an identity theft, and you need to know who has those numbers so you can inform the police.
If you can, try to see who is living in the house. If you put in the address on maps, you can see what the house looks like.
It is a good possibility that the police will be able to catch this person with that information.
The more you can tell them, the less they can hold you responsible for; so get it to the police officer ASAP ! !
Get ahold of SS right away and see what they can tell you. Go right to the office if you can, Denise.

Oh geez, that's a great idea, I'm calling him now, I'll come back and let you know what he says, Denise

ok, just called Deputy to give him info I found on that address in Portland. Maybe they will look into it to see if those are the ones that files with my social.
nwgrown52: only got to leave a voicemail though. The other addresses I was able to remember when I google earthed them. I actually did live at those, for a short, time.

someone has bought a house in my name Ina, someone has filed a tax return in my name, and it looks like there are several other bills charged to my credit reports.

Gads HFL, I can't even "call" the SS office in my town, no phone number listed. I can't believe it when that happens. We can only send a stupid email and who knows when you get an answer:(

also notify bank and credit card co's. so they can freeze them. they watch your spending habits now and if any large amounts are are withdrawn they put a freeze on it till they call you

I am so sorry you are going through this...I KNOW its horrible.
My son in law worked with the bank for almost a year before his account was straightened out. Unfortunately they were not as helpful or encouraging as they could have been... With ID theft, it is usually up to the one who has been ROBBED of their ID to 'prove' that they did NOT run up those other bills. BUT, I like what Kaya said... you really just have to KNOW that even though this is all a pain in the b===...however, you WILL get through it...and the worst that can happen is really not 'fatal'...and it involves your 'credit' ... but life DOES go on and you WILL be ok...honest! :love_heart: Notify all your creditors by certified mail...this is PROOF that you actually DID notify them. This beats phone calls...even if you call them STILL write and if you have certified the letter, they can't back out and say they never rec'd your notifications.

Just want to thank everyone for your help. I hope everything gets straightened out by December, when I plan to draw my SS. I think it is not as bad as I think. So far, the only thing that has shown up bad, is an address I've never lived at, and that's all reported. But my name was listed as being one of the residents, at least at some time. The "reverse" phone number lookup didn't show "when" the gal lived there that gave my name. But the address was rented under my ss & same name, same middle initial. I am trying to find out more about the supposed mortgage loan. I'll let you guys know. Denise

If the address is a rental, you might want to find out who the owner of the rental is and say they have a con artist renting under YOUR name and you are not liable for any rents they may be late on.

And don't sweat it about SS. It cannot affect your collecting it unless they claim to be you still. The cops and SS should be doing something abuot that. Keep on them. December is not that far away.

Back