Ordered a HDTV antennae tonight

No it's just that we are isolated from big cities that have broadcasting facilities close by.

To use an over the air antenna you have to have broadcasting close by to be received by the antenna, especially an indoor one.

If you could put the antenna up high, the results would be better.
I have had a dish antenna (over the air) in my attic for the past 20 years and receive about 30 local channels. We are out in the boonies, and Dallas is about 50 miles south of us..We also pick up stations from Oklahoma.. We have had about 4 TVs during those 20 years both standard and HD..

I have had a dish antenna (over the air) in my attic for the past 20 years and receive about 30 local channels. We are out in the boonies, and Dallas is about 50 miles south of us..We also pick up stations from Oklahoma.. We have had about 4 TVs during those 20 years both standard and HD..

50 miles is about the limit depending on what is in front of the signal.

No it's just that we are isolated from big cities that have broadcasting facilities close by.

To use an over the air antenna you have to have broadcasting close by to be received by the antenna, especially an indoor one.

If you could put the antenna up high, the results would be better.
Have thought of that and need to get some of those sticky things that stick it to the wall. I ran out of them. I'm fairly happy with the 21 or 24 channels I get though.

Try to find out what frequencies mode the channels in your area are broadcasting in.

For instance if the channels you want to locate primarily in UHF (Ultra High Frequency) then that's the kind of antenna you should buy. The advantage of UHF is that the antennas are much smaller than VHF.

Here's how to find out.
Television Broadcast Frequencies
BandRF ChannelsFrequency
VHF-Lo2 - 654 - 88 MHz
VHF-Hi7 - 13174 - 216 MHz
UHF14 - 69470 - 806 MHz

[h=3]Television Broadcast Frequencies (OTA DTv)[/h]
otadtv.com/frequency/index.html

Last edited:
I got one, had to put it as high on the window as I could, to receive signals. Also, if you have a Roku or Firestik, you will need internet for streaming the certain shows you want to see. I don't get all the channels I wanted or expected. I had to run a scan on my tv to see how many channels I could get. Most are old channels.

I live in apartment in the city. I bought a $10 antenna, a booster, and scanned my tv and I get 28 channels. I tape the antenna in a spot on my window that gets the best picture. I am very happy with it. I also bought a Roku and have internet so I can watch whatever I want.

Location, location, location. Don't get frustrated if you can't pick up some or all stations. Find out where the station broadcasts from and that will give you an idea of why you may been experiencing problems. I fought for a couple years before I finally built a stand that needs very little adjustment for reception. The one I have is designed to be wall mounted but it gets nothing that way. Once I constructed a stand that extended out from under my balcony to receive unblocked signals and that did not work with the CBS broadcast which I need for the NFL. Finally I constructed what amounts to a shoebox out of balsa wood and put slit in two adjacent sides then slid the square antenna in to the slots and WHALLAH!! Finally reception for all channels with only slight adjustment for a few channels.

Location, location, location. Don't get frustrated if you can't pick up some or all stations. Find out where the station broadcasts from and that will give you an idea of why you may been experiencing problems. I fought for a couple years before I finally built a stand that needs very little adjustment for reception. The one I have is designed to be wall mounted but it gets nothing that way. Once I constructed a stand that extended out from under my balcony to receive unblocked signals and that did not work with the CBS broadcast which I need for the NFL. Finally I constructed what amounts to a shoebox out of balsa wood and put slit in two adjacent sides then slid the square antenna in to the slots and WHALLAH!! Finally reception for all channels with only slight adjustment for a few channels.

I'm assuming that channel is a UHF one when you say square antenna.

I am using an indoor antennae. I've tried putting it up farther and still get the same stations, however, I am satisfied because I wanted mainly to get some major networks and I did. :)

That would be CBS a VHF channel

I have had a lot of experience with over the air antennas.

If it's a VHF channel and you buy a VHF antenna, that would be the best reception you can get.

If you have trouble in the future get a YAGI multi element antenna and you should have no trouble. Very directional and interference free.

You can actually make one.

I have had a lot of experience with over the air antennas.

If it's a VHF channel and you buy a VHF antenna, that would be the best reception you can get.

If you have trouble in the future get a YAGI multi element antenna and you should have no trouble. Very directional and interference free.

You can actually make one.

Bought a YAGI for $70 and despite building a stand that pushed it out away from my balcony it did not work. Constantly had to rotate and it sometimes would not get CBS on Sundays. I gave it to my neighbor and he threw it out after it did not work for him either. Again, it depends on hoe you are positioned in accordance to the broadcasters and everyone in my area has trouble. Too far north.

If you still can't get some channels, you can use a reflector about 2 or 3 inches behind your antenna and point it in the directions of your desired station. Hopefully all your stations are more or less in the same direction so you won't lose those behind. You could just prop up a metal serving tray for instance or an aluminum baking pan temporarily. If it works you could make it fancy later.

If you still can't get some channels, you can use a reflector about 2 or 3 inches behind your antenna and point it in the directions of your desired station. Hopefully all your stations are more or less in the same direction so you won't lose those behind. You could just prop up a metal serving tray for instance or an aluminum baking pan temporarily. If it works you could make it fancy later.
I completely lose you on that.

I completely lose you on that.
The reflector is placed 1/4 or 1/2 wavelength behind the antenna (it's been a long time since I dealt with this stuff so I'm not sure of the numbers), and it bounces the signal back in phase to the main antenna which adds to the amount of signal the main part of the antenna sees. Imagine a 5 lb. weight on a scale. Add another 2 lb. and the scale goes from 5lb. to 7 lb.

Bought a YAGI for $70 and despite building a stand that pushed it out away from my balcony it did not work. Constantly had to rotate and it sometimes would not get CBS on Sundays. I gave it to my neighbor and he threw it out after it did not work for him either. Again, it depends on hoe you are positioned in accordance to the broadcasters and everyone in my area has trouble. Too far north.

Don't know how far north you are, but I do well with a 50 mile radius indoor antenna, and I am north of the 1960/290 area. (Houston) I can pull in all the major networks and about 40 misc. stations on any given day. The transmitters are on the south side of Harris Cty., and I've got my antenna aimed that direction, sitting on a window ledge.

Just scanned my wife's TV in the other room, got 43 channels on an old rabbit ear antenna!! We live out in the boonies about 50 miles North of Dallas..:eek:nthego:

Back