Ordered a memorial stone for Rick

Marie5656

I am not sure if I mentioned this, but I had Rick cremated after he died. Later this summer a friend and I are going to "take Rick fishing" on a private pond on some family property and scatter most of his remains in the pond. Rick loved fishing. I am saving back some, and have ordered a small memorial stone to be made from some of his ash. I will be getting a kit in the mail soon to collect a small amount of his ashes and send them to be infused into a glass touch stone. This site has many ways you can remember your loved one.

I am not sure what many feel about this, another friend told me he felt it was not "proper" to do this. He gave religious reasoning. But I want this way to remember him in a loving way.

Here is the site https://www.spiritpieces.com/?_vsre...xBTGQT3YzIzgBtW7RxyzZ3JVqXAS3lVcaAuBnEALw_wcB

And a picture of the piece I ordered

sparkle-stones-with-infused-cremains-charles-sparkle-1_large.jpg

This is one of those things that you do whatever you want. If this is something YOU would like to do to remember your life partner then I wouldn’t care one bit what others think. He is YOUR man. It’s YOUR life and YOUR decision to make.

Im all for people being allowed their own opinion but people should keep their personal religious beliefs to themselves when it comes to ‘this’ type of thing.

Its most personal and I think your idea is beautiful.

My old man checked out back in 1957 and left my mom and I nothing but a bunch of unpaid bills so she couldn't afford a marker. He's buried in this boneyard named Sylvan Abbey down in Clearwater Florida. I guess he's still there, I haven't been back since my mom took me right after he died. It was kinda hard to locate the spot as there was no marker. Every now and then I think maybe I ought to spring for one. Just a basic El Cheapo with name, date of birth, and date of death. I wonder how much that would set me back? Anyone got an idea?

My old man checked out back in 1957 and left my mom and I nothing but a bunch of unpaid bills so she couldn't afford a marker. He's buried in this boneyard named Sylvan Abbey down in Clearwater Florida. I guess he's still there, I haven't been back since my mom took me right after he died. It was kinda hard to locate the spot as there was no marker. Every now and then I think maybe I ought to spring for one. Just a basic El Cheapo with name, date of birth, and date of death. I wonder how much that would set me back? Anyone got an idea?

Sylvan Abbey is still there, but it has built up around there.

Sylvan Abbey is still there, but it has built up around there.

I figured the cemetery was still there. I was just wondering if maybe they had dug up my old man to make room for someone else. But after 60 years of no visitors maybe they figured they could get away with it.

This is one of those things that you do whatever you want. If this is something YOU would like to do to remember your life partner then I wouldn’t care one bit what others think. He is YOUR man. It’s YOUR life and YOUR decision to make.

Im all for people being allowed their own opinion but people should keep their personal religious beliefs to themselves when it comes to ‘this’ type of thing.

Its most personal and I think your idea is beautiful.

Exactly what Keesha just said. Lovely.
Ditto to all the above...

Totally agree. First, it's no one's business. Second, people have been keeping loved one's ashes in urns or various containers from day one.

I'm happy you found something that comforts you and feels right. :love_heart:

Thanks. I will take a picture when I get the stone back. The nice thing is that the stone is not really big, so I can always have it near by, either on a table, or my nightstand. If I like it, I will order a small urn for the remainder of the ashes I am keeping back. Really? Like I am going to cast some sort of spell or something?

This is a whole different topic, but since this is my thread anyway..I kind of wonder why in this persons mind it is OK to cremate a body and put him in an urn, but not to take some of the ash and save it inside a lifelong memento. I do not get it.

By mutual agreement several years ago my Detta was also cremated. Her ashes are with our Granddaughter who will receive my ashes, mix them with Detta's and cast them to the sea. I'll see her again in heaven...

It’s a human flaw many of exhibit at times. We think we know what’s best for someone else when in actuality we need to mind our own business.

People have their own beliefs and prejudices and seem to like to push them onto others.
Then of course some people just make stuff up.

You wont ever get it, nor should you. That’s a good thing Maria.

What is "Proper" is whatever gives you comfort. Everyone has a different idea of what is comforting & there is no right or wrong.

I have to apologize for butting into this thread with my own personal issue. However it did remind me of the fact that my old man's grave has been unmarked for 62 years. I've probably thought about it on the average of once every 5 years and considered doing something about it, but then never did. But this time I actually picked up the phone and called the cemetery. They were very helpful and were happy to quote me a price of $1,834 installed which was quite a bit higher than I was prepared to pay. So I decided to shop around. I found a monument place just 10 miles up the road from the cemetery that had good reviews on the internet and they quoted me a price of $995 installed for basically the same monument. Here is an example of it from their website. It's a 24 X 12 bronze plaque on a 28 X 16 granite base. The same thing the cemetery wanted $1834 bucks for.

philip strain.JPG

So I think I'm going to go with this one. I'll do without the "In loving Memory" thing and the cross. Instead I'll just have his name, date of birth, date of death and a figure of a baseball player swinging a bat because the old man loved baseball.

I just found out that this is father's day weekend!

I didn't plan it that way but I might as well take advantage of it and say that I'm getting my old man a tombstone for Father's Day.

Trade I hope buying your dad a marker gives you peace. For me, it is the sentimental need to keep a small piece of Rick with me, in the spoonful of his ashes which will be encased in the glass stone. The size of a paper weight.

That is probably a sentiment girl thing, but my plan had always been to not keep all the ashes with me. I think it's part of the healing

Beautiful stone and nice memorial, Trade. My girls know I wish to be cremated and then my ashes scattered at the beach. Always wanted to live near the beach and this is the closest I will ever be!

Back