Our nearest Seaside resort...

HD we try to go every 3-4 weeks the main st. is like a ghost town shops closing each week ,loads of charity shops,cafes,bars,:)we have a look round have lunch then make our way home.

There was a nice restaurant in the old town called The Lantern and we went there lots and it closed down years ago. Happy days of eateries and pub /dinersin and around Southend

I've not heard of the lantern but my husband isn't much into restaurants more pubs than anything...so we wouldn't have gone there..

Do you remember York road market and the little arcade as well ?

Another photo of the CB... showing the background ...

DSCF0083.jpg

I have some photos somewhere of york road arcade when it was still thriving but I can't find them, ( altho' you can find some on Google images) but I did find the ones I took just after they closed it all...how sad it looked... after being such a bustling busy shopping area for many years

DSCF0275.jpg

Yes, I remember it well with affection, Holly. Alexandra Road and the old Post Office and the ABC cinema and yhe Odeon and can see the old shops in the high street in my mind's eye.

I remember The Ivy House and The Hole In The Wall and the pub next to the Kursaal, the...the name escapes me but it was well known on the sea front. The Hope Hotel on the sea front.
There was TOTS disco. Rain disco in the high street the owner was Dick Devigne a local entertainment entrepreneur as was Lou Manze back in the 70's and 80's.

So there you have it folks... a little tour around our nearest and most favourite Seaside resort in England... but I can't leave without posting a pic of our favourite lunch at the Peter boat...Shellfish and smoked haddock chowder... :p

DSCF7563.jpg
I see a problem with this picture, you were cheated. They made the bowl lower on one side so they did not have to give you a full bowl. Also, "my" plate should always come with two servings of bread! LOL

Back