Our nearest Seaside resort...

Marlene, I can't resist a small 'plug' for my current home, Aberdeenshire. Quite a few of the scenes are in Aberdeen city, but several are from near to where I live. The Glen Garioch (pronounced Geary) distillery is fairly close and some of the shots of the coastal village towards the end are from not far from my village.

LOL>..oi Capt ...promote your town on another thread.... :LOL:😜

Another from Southend. The famous stairs leading from the promenade up to the shopping, gardens and theatre area...

DSCF0257.jpg
Gr8 memories of my beloved Southend. If I rcall the statue ofQueen Victoria pointing outwards she has her finger broken off but maybe wrong

Last edited:
The rest of these were taken out of season in winter, when it's quiet and most of the entertainment is closed for the season on the front . Mostly locals and elderly are in taking the opportunity for a day or weekend visit while it's quiet.

DSCF0110.jpg

DSCF0108.jpg

The tiny train station at Old leigh..

DSCF0105.jpg

Last edited:
I love the pictures....
Thank you Peppermint... :giggle: I'm not suggesting that it's the prettiest seaside resort in the UK with these pictures , far from it, but it's the nearest to where we live , also my husbands childhood home and dear to our hearts..and one of the most popular in the uk due to the ease of access to everything ...

There are some really beautiful beaches all around this Island, many in Wales, Ireland and Scotland.. as well as hundreds in England...

The rest of these were taken out of season in winter, when it's quiet and most of the entertainment is closed for the season on the front . Mostly locals and elderly are in taking the opportunity for a day or weekend visit while it's quiet.

DSCF0110.jpg

DSCF0108.jpg

The tiny train station at Old leigh..

DSCF0105.jpg
What a treat to see these pics and it's a special Thread for me as it's my life-long resort and much loved. Never dreamed I'd join a forum that has given me much pleasure browsing and posting.

The C2C line from Fenchurch St in London to Shoeburyness holds good memories and there was a special trip laid on that did the trip in a vintage steam train and I think it was called The Cockney Express. We never did this popular trip and wonder if its still running
Yes it is!☺
Theres a Youtube of The Cockney Coaster but cant get to share it on my phone

Last edited:
Yes it would appear that soon after they repaired the finger after years,.. someone last year broke her whole hand off.. sheer vandalism I think... not something anyone would expect after all these decades.. 😖

A few more pics....

DSCF0228.jpg

DSCF0141.jpg
Yes these lovely gardens are a delight and the Victorian heritage remains intact in this area in particular

I love the pictures....
The Royal Hotel was struggling a few years ago but wonder if it's still trading. The Palace hotel on Pier Hill was neglected for decades but is now a Park Hotel franchise offering good value prices.

Southend on Sea were given a big grant many years ago by a lottery fund and the money was spent revamping the town and sea front and it still retains its Victorian atmosphere and many buildings

The royal Hotel is very much still trading. I know it was in trouble a while back but it's going great guns again...(y)
That's good to know. It was taken over by a couple of businesses and then was a hotel again back about 5 years the last time I was in the high street. Keddies closed didn't it? and other names shut their doors 😕

Holly Dolly, I posted a few pictures that are one of the oldest city in New Jersey....This is the End of New Jersey, South...It's in Cape May, NJ...
You can take a boat or a cruise and also able to drive your car on the boat....It's about an hour ride....You will end up in Delaware...near the Ocean...
We have been driving there for many years....We have stayed in some of the house's that are very old, but most have been kept beautiful for many years....It get's very crowded in the summer...And can only go to the town by a 1 lane highway....
Just wanted to show some that are not in the USA...I loved your pictures.....

Attachments

• f1a633d2d1f6b9c4c1c1d19b3e40ac95.jpg
    f1a633d2d1f6b9c4c1c1d19b3e40ac95.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 3
  • b4f9d3431a31df2398bacf4f6ef4ab87.jpg
    b4f9d3431a31df2398bacf4f6ef4ab87.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 34E6651F-840A-48E9-9341-E2CE8181F22C-800x533.jpg
    34E6651F-840A-48E9-9341-E2CE8181F22C-800x533.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 3
Holly Dolly, I posted a few pictures that are one of the oldest city in New Jersey....This is the End of New Jersey, South...It's in Cape May, NJ...
You can take a boat or a cruise and also able to drive your car on the boat....It's about an hour ride....You will end up in Delaware...near the Ocean...
We have been driving there for many years....We have stayed in some of the house's that are very old, but most have been kept beautiful for many years....It get's very crowded in the summer...And can only go to the town by a 1 lane highway....
Just wanted to show some that are not in the USA...I loved your pictures.....
Sorry, in the USA....

Back