Our parent's sayings

ROFLMAO!

Here I another one of my moms... KNOCK IT OFF OR I'LL LAND-BASE YOU!

Funny story, but my baby brother grew big and strong really fast, so even when he was around age 8 or 9, he was already pushing moms size, and if I had to bet on it back then, my money would have been on baby brother as far as taking mom on and winning, anyhow, mom was upset with him over something or another, and she went after him with the wooden spanking stick.

Mom spanking stick (for a while), was the equivalent of a wooden paint mixing flat stick, and so when mom caught up with him in his bedroom, baby brother was putting something away in his closet and dear old mom went to work on hitting him on the behind a few times, at which time the stick broke, and when mom turned to walk out of his room in defeat, baby brother further handed moms rear-end back to her on a silver platter by laughing straight out of his room!

It was classic!

Last edited:
One of my mom's favorites was, "too soon we grow old, too late we grow smart."

My parents had a combination of sayings about growing old, or stages of life.

One was "You should only get married before you have any sense, or after it has all gone!"

Then there were ones about "Being born too soon/too late", because they didn't like modern life, or felt they were too old to fully enjoy whatever social change there was, or innovation coming along. (y) .

or 'an old head on young shoulders'.... it was never said to me...lol... but when i became a grandfather my ex wife suggested i might 'grow up at last'... obviously i havent hence ex-wife

My mother only said this once but my BFF at the time laughed about it for years. My BFF and I were going out. I was still living at home. My mother said "Don't you come back here no black dark!" Of course there was the classic "keep your pants up and your dress down."

Last edited:
When I was a young adult and my friends and I would go club hopping for the evening, the last thing my mother would say to me as I walked out the door was - "walk a straight line." Always made me think twice before I did anything I shouldn't.

When I was a young adult and my friends and I would go club hopping for the evening, the last thing my mother would say to me as I walked out the door was - "walk a straight line." Always made me think twice before I did anything I shouldn't.
Hello, from Toronto, Karmen.
welcometogroup.gif
edited: I just saw on another thread that you are from Maryland. Welcome to the forum!

My mother only said this once but my BFF at the time laughed about it for years. My BFF and I were going out. I was still living at home. My mother said "Don't you come back here no black dark!" Of course there was the classic "keep your pants up and your dress down."
an old Scottish saying for girls was 'keep your hand over your ha'penny'

After my dad would rant & rave about something that pissed him off he would stop for about 20 seconds then say "Now I'm gonna repeat myself!" Why he did I'll never know.

I had a good friend and boss who used to emphasise one of his management techniques, which was, "Tell staff what you're going to tell them, then tell them whatever it is, then tell them what you've told them! "

It seemed to work pretty well for him I must say too. 🤔👨‍✈️ .

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy", was one of my parents sayings!

At the moment it is probably "little work, and little play, is making us all dull boys!". 🥺 .
"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy", was one of my parents sayings!

At the moment it is probably "little work, and little play, is making us all dull boys!". 🥺 .
Last time I checked I wasn't a boy. :giggle:

my mom use to say(what will the neighbors think) or if one of us didnt behave she would say(when i get you home i am gonna burn your little red wagon) i did not have a red wagon-
ROFLMAO! So close one of my moms old saying related to... my moms was, I'll fix your little red wagon! Meaning, we were in for it!

Another one of my fathers sayings was:
"You might as well shoot a man as worry him to death!". :rolleyes: .

- Maybe said after my mother had given him a particularly hard time? -

(Apologies if I've quoted this one on the thread before?).

Back