Our version of retirement: Living a childhood dream

HAPPY MOVING DAY!:eek:nthego:
move-day.jpg

Gonna miss some things here

The view from the shop will be no more
The simple glimpse out the shop door, giving a rush of memories of design and build of doors,
doors I had no idea would work so well, let alone the aesthetics to my complete satisfaction

n23Ry5w.jpg

A lota happenings occurred during this leg of my being

never seen so many deer
badger
bobcat
cougar
bear
birds..so very many

‘Course I’ll always have the memories…well, not always, probably

But

For awhile

Even during the most arduous of chores, I’d pause a bit, rest, look, enjoy
I won’t have a goodly portion of that in town

But

There will be joys
New experiences
Time

Time to actually write

I’ve compiled scads of events, thoughts

Heh, I’ll prolly scrap those and start all over

I will use those for memory jogs, however

Anyway, getting close to moving day

Nothing will be the same here

And it shouldn’t be

It’d be a bit of a bore

And THAT…would be a travesty

Our little bungalow may become a prison

As well it should

Otherwise,

I’ll never put another book together

I wonder if my little buddy will miss me

Gary, I've been gone for awhile and haven't kept up with your thread. Are you moving from your place? Has something happened where you need to live closer to town? I hope you or your wife aren't having any health problems.

Gary, I've been gone for awhile and haven't kept up with your thread. Are you moving from your place? Has something happened where you need to live closer to town? I hope you or your wife aren't having any health problems.

None at all

Just not really into another winter

Five winters at five/six feet of snow and ice is enough

The challenges have been met

The discomfort of getting warm has begun to outweigh the pristine beauty

For the first few years, we’d sit here, looking rather smug at each other, all warm and cozy,
with the confidence that we weren’t going to freeze to death in our rockers after all.

But

The toil of that seasonal achievement has worn a bit

Time to write about it all

Heh, my book in the making has taken a very realistic slant

The downsides of off grid living in the bush

Gonna be a fun write

Thanks for the update Gary, I'm glad neither of you have any health issues mandating the move. I have a bit of an idea what living your lifestyle may entail. In our younger days we did some serious camping for months and had little money. After traveling upriver in our small aluminum boat in the Yukon, we came across a couple of old fellas who were just starting the job of making themselves a cabin to live in. They had few tools to work with. We stayed and helped them out for a short time, stripping logs they cut down, my husband helping with the heavier work.

It's wonderful to be out in the wilderness, nobody in sight for many miles, moose swimming across the rivers, etc. I admire you and your wife for taking on the rougher life and enjoying all the rewards of being on your own. Your photos are absolutely beautiful, I've enjoyed them all and I know you will miss all of that dearly if you move away. I understand the feeling you get early in the morning when you step out and see a spectacular sunrise or a couple of nature's special creatures big or small. Wishing the best for you and the Mrs. :love_heart:

Your photos are absolutely beautiful, I've enjoyed them all and I know you will miss all of that dearly if you move away.

You bet I will

The unsettled morning sky

2ggBfuR.jpg

The hovering mist over the marsh beyond our tiny meadow, cradling that steadfast little mountain, dubbed Yamsi by ancient natives, ‘North Wind’ to you and me.

IqD5Dlg.png

The grazing deer most afternoons now

CeFdtbm.png

The crunch of fresh fallen snow in early winter

The absolute stillness when winter is mature

iOaDOc9.png

The moonless midnight brightness of a myriad of heavenly orbs

A full moon in the early evening of a summer horizon

eyoDWna.jpg

The evening shadows on what my lady and I built

3nK14Cp.jpg

But what I know I’ll miss most….

Is my little buddy

bk08k9U.png

All Goldens flee in my presence

But this one

GrfAdtp.jpg

dVPNG9n.png

He came up to me just moments ago, walking t’ward me on his hind legs
Little hand outstretched, ever so gently caressing my finger to steady hisself while carefully mouthing the shelled peanut

We’ll be gone soon

…and so will he

5ieaTGy.png

But, I’ve come to realize, missing things are not losses

But vivid realizations of the good

sometimes scant

...but oh so cherished

And I will surely write about it all

I have loved your photos, too and hearing about your life style. A life choice I will never experience except through your writings and photos. Looking forward to your book!!Blessings to you and your wife!

Gary, Ol Pard, it's quite obvious that you don't realize the impact this thread of your 's has had on the folks! We gotta recover from the shock, and move on with you. ....that'll happen! Mebee we have some packing to do, too. Your new adventures will be tip-top!
question.png

I'm going to miss all of your beautiful pics and updates Gary. I've enjoyed you and Mrs G's adventures immensely. I wish you both health and happiness in this new chapter of your life.

What will you do with the off grid compound? Keep it for vacations, sell it, rent it out?

Gary, I didn't know you were moving but I totally understand the rationale behind it. Not being able to get warm in winter is way harsh. You've built wonderful memories and you have photos and an upcoming book that will keep it all ever-fresh in your mind. You have lived up to your signature quote by Emerson. Good for you :)

Gary, I didn't know you were moving but I totally understand the rationale behind it. Not being able to get warm in winter is way harsh. You've built wonderful memories and you have photos and an upcoming book that will keep it all ever-fresh in your mind. You have lived up to your signature quote by Emerson. Good for you :)

Not intending to mislead....

Our wood stove was plenty

Getting wood to the cabin? Not the adventuresome lark it was a few years ago.

Yes, the memories are grand

Thank you, Lara

I'm going to miss all of your beautiful pics and updates Gary. I've enjoyed you and Mrs G's adventures immensely. I wish you both health and happiness in this new chapter of your life.

What will you do with the off grid compound? Keep it for vacations, sell it, rent it out?

Sold it to our commercial fisherman son.

He's buying up property like crazy (gotta put his money somewhere)

We are not losing, we’re gaining.
It’s time for our son and his wee ones to enjoy some of this.
Sure, we could will it to them, but then we wouldn’t experience their joy.

They’re quite excited about it.
No, we’re not sad at all. More fulfilment than we’d even hoped.
And sharing has been as much fun as anything.

I’m not quite done in writing about our experiences here, as I’ve somewhat protected the down sides.
So, I’ll continue a bit about our tiny cabin experience, and alllll the events, good and not so good.

And I’ll keep it to the fractured funny side, as that’s pretty much how I see most things.
So, it’ll be quite easy for me.
The difficulty I’ll have will be typing as fast as the thoughts come,
as with me, writing is much akin to speeding thru the curves of a windy country road…with the throttle stuck to the floor.

It’s all I can do to maintain continuity with these two fingers when thoughts come, one after the other.
But now…now I’ll have time…heh heh.

And after that? Yes, I’ll create another thread.
Because folks are so freaking interesting to me.

Not the headliners so much, but the everday ones, the unheralded ones, the plain folk.

Because, heh, they are so much more than that.

They are the true keepers of the fire.

A poster making friend of mine made this.

Seems fitting

Fo4jshv.jpg

I think it's great for your son and family get to enjoy the cabin now, as you say you get to enjoy him enjoying it!

Are you moved yet?

We are in the process
It’s been an amazingly easy move
Only 50 miles away helps
But, almost rented a truck
Then re-thought that strategy
We’d have to cram as much in that truck as we could
Get home, and put all that stuff in the garage
…and go again

Then thought;
Hey, we’re retired
No time constraints
Let’s just use the ol’ pickup
Pack up exactly what we need
Put it where it belongs…the first time

Spent most the day today at the cabin, making a few accoutrements for storage

Fed my little guy..he missed me…came up right away for his peanut

Anyway, thanks for asking
This move has by far, been the easiest in a very long time

Yes, my son and fam will enjoy…and we’ll enjoy that as much or more

It shocked me also but then again ‘happy wife, happy life.’

You did have a great run at this lifestyle and I have had such admiration for you both doing so.

It was really nice reading your stories about birds and squirrels as well as listening to the coyotes at night with you.

However that spirit you carry with you will go wherever you go so I expect to be reading different town folk stories quite soon.

Yes. You are retired and can take your time and put everything in its place one step at a time.
A much smarter plan.

Reading that you’re letting your son & his family stay there is so touching and that your lady will be sewing again. How fun. I’m excited for her.
Everyone needs their hobbies.

Cutting and storing dry wood for the winter(s) is hard work. I’ve often wondered how you managed this. If you cut down trees close to your home, after a while you lose your protection from the trees and might need to venture farther out to get them. The haul back would be more difficult each year I would imagine.

Anyway I have enjoyed all your pictures and adventures concerning your wilderness home life and wish you the very best Gary.

Cutting and storing dry wood for the winter(s) is hard work. I’ve often wondered how you managed this. If you cut down trees close to your home, after a while you lose your protection from the trees and might need to venture farther out to get them. The haul back would be more difficult each year I would imagine.

Anyway I have enjoyed all your pictures and adventures concerning your wilderness home life and wish you the very best Gary.

Well, the first year we had plenty of trees down
The second year we just took out the dangerous leaners
Then we bought rounds and split them for a couple years
Last year we got lazy and bought it split

But, no, we never took out anything that wasn’t gonna go on its own anyway.

I..…love..…trees…...any

And shade

And the flavors of morning, tempered thru the pines

RHfD9mh.jpg

And the sounds of wind, only trees can provide

Thing is, once the challenges of winter were met, well, it all became a bit redundant

Joy remained, but the exhilaration of facing and beating whatever winter gave sorta lost its luster a bit

I..…love..…trees…...any

And shade

And the favors of morning, tempered thru the pines

RHfD9mh.jpg

And the sounds of wind, only trees can provide
This is beautifully penned, Gary.
You've taken care of God's creation just as he purposed mankind to do.
And you've appreciate His creation fully.
I'll bet He's looking down saying, "well done, my good and faithful servant"

This is beautifully penned, Gary.
You've taken care of God's creation just as he purposed mankind to do.
And you've appreciate His creation fully.
I'll bet He's looking down saying, "well done, my good and faithful servant"
[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Thank you, Lara

It’s a hope

And hope He also says, ‘and I forgive you for that other stuff...…in spite of yerself’

Back