Parishoner's son in car wreck

We met for Bible study Sunday, but didn't have Bible study. One of the women that attends took up the whole study time telling about her son rolling over in his car the previous night, his miserable, drug-addicted life and the negative effect it's having on her granddaughter. Even the study instructor gave a couple of not-so-subtle glances at his watch, but she just kept going on about it. I know I should be sympathetic, but there's a time during the service for congregation members to share their problems. Am I wrong to feel she shouldn't have used the Bible study time to air her issues, or am I just being my typical gripey self?

We met for Bible study Sunday, but didn't have Bible study. One of the women that attends took up the whole study time telling about her son rolling over in his car the previous night, his miserable, drug-addicted life and the negative effect it's having on her granddaughter. Even the study instructor gave a couple of not-so-subtle glances at his watch, but she just kept going on about it. I know I should be sympathetic, but there's a time during the service for congregation members to share their problems. Am I wrong to feel she shouldn't have used the Bible study time to air her issues, or am I just being my typical gripey self?

Well once again let m jump up and be an asshole! Does not the Christian faith teach empathy? Ask yourself WWJD. Do you not already know the Bible inside and out?
Is your study of a book more important than a live hurting mother?
Obviously this woman needed to be heard, needed a shoulder. Do you think it is such an imposition that you can't give a fellow Christian a bit off your time?
Bible study will be there next week. Perhaps you should ask your leader to lead you to the part about love and caring.
Yes in my opinion you are absolutely wrong

The Christian thing to do would be let the lady share, ease her burden. In short be what you profess to be, a good Christian fellow.

I agree.....she obviously needed to share what happened and felt she could do so without judgement and in the company of the people there in the bible study. Where is the empathy in this world anymore?

I also agree with Robusta that helping a person who is totally devastated with pain is way more important than just having a Bible study to TELL you that you are supposed to love your neighbor and help them carry their burdens when it is too heavy for them to bear alone.
This was a great time to put that Biblical love and compassion into actual use, and hopefully she was able to feel that caring from her friends (including you) when she did share her grief and ask for everyone’s support.
It has to be a hard thing for her all of the time, seeing her beloved granddaughter being raised in a home with drug addiction, and now with her son also being in a car accident, things will be even worse, and finances stretched even more.
I hope that your church is able to help her get through this hard time in her life, and that she will be given the support she so desperately needs right now.
If your church has a prayer chain, maybe you can suggest that she is added onto the prayer requests ?

debodun, I can't help but notice you've had a lot of problems and frustrations with the Bible study group. Maybe you should stop going, study the Bible alone, or look for a different church.

Back