Plover Scar

-Oy-

Bloke with a camera
Sunset at Plover Scar lighthouse - Lancaster, England.

50387256992_9ef3d79bfc_o.jpg

Is it named after the wild water birds, which are called Plovers?

(Adorable cheeky-seeming ones, they are.....such as our local Piping Plovers (y) )

Here, on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean, they are abundant along the North American coast, both in Canada and the USA.

Plovers are often seen running up and down, the shorelines, leaving their foot-claw tracks on the wet sand, and following each wave landing on the shore, or the rise and fall of the tides, as they seemingly run joyfully, back and forth, up and down.:)

Last edited:
Is it named after the wild water birds, which are called Plovers?

(Adorable cheeky-seeming ones, they are.....such as our local Piping Plovers (y) )

Here, on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean, they are abundant along the North American coast, both in Canada and the USA.

Plovers are often seen running up and down, the shorelines, leaving their foot-claw tracks on the wet sand, and following each wave landing on the shore, or the rise and fall of the tides, as they seemingly run joyfully, back and forth, up and down.:)
Yes that's it - we have quite a few species of Plover here :)

Thank you for telling me, @-Oy- !
I was generally aware that there are many varied species of Plovers, in different parts of the world, but I hadn't known for sure, and hadn't had any specific prior knowledge of it, such as this Lighthouse name, and your posts. :geek::)

The word scar, in this instance, would be defined as a rock cliff or ledge, which is what this lighthouse was built on top of.... in mid-1800's. :geek:

Back