Portable phone charger

applecruncher

SF VIP
Got a new smart phone a few weeks ago, very happy with it. :) Motorola G7 Power from Consumer Cellular.

The battery is great. But I have a concern: this area is prone to power outages. I've been advised to get a portable charger.

I've researched chargers that would be compatible with my phone, and I've looked at some YouTube videos. I'm confused and my computer buddy isn't available this weekend.

How would I charge my phone from my laptop? Do I need to get a USB cord to connect to a power bank?

Last edited:
does your phone not come with a usb charge cord for it already? if you can take the plug off then you have a usb that can be plugged into the laptop & your phone.

i apologize in advance for my bed head...lol
WIN_20200725_08_47_40_Pro.jpg

look at the photo i posted. see if that end comes off. if it does...then viola you got a usb charger

I've been wondering about these battery backup devices or similar as an option.

shopping

https://4patriots.com/products/patr...MI4d21ksjo6gIVjrbICh2a2QlcEAQYAiABEgKwyvD_BwE

Would you be willing to invest in a portable charger? They are very reasonable. If there's a power outage would you really want to drain your laptop's battery by charging your phone? If you want to go that route, it seems like @MarciKS's suggestion should work.

If you would consider a portable charger, here's the one I have and I like it. It's good for a few charges and I see it's on sale now.
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerC...685579&sprefix=portable+batter,aps,137&sr=8-4

I do have one of those portable batteries, but you have to keep it charged now and then. If it has to be charged during an outage you are out of luck.
I recently bougt a small generator, and had a power strip so I could invite neighbors over to charge their phones, laptops, etc.

@OneEyedDiva
Got the Anker charger as a backup. Total was $21.49, free shipping. Now I need to study & learn to use it. 🤔🤪
Oh Good. It’s easy. Press the small black button on the front of the Anker which is closest to where the charging cables go. If there’s 4 lights on top (mine are blue), it’s fully charged. If not, charge it until all 4 light up. One light will blink while the unit is charging.

To charge the Anker: Plug one end of their regrettably short cable that came with it into the universal power adapter plug (shown below) that goes into the wall. One should have come with your device(s). Plug the smaller side into the Anker.

To charge your devices: Plug your device’s cable into the Anker’s USB port.
Insert the end you normally plug into your device as if you are using the wall charger.

Check your Anker periodically to make sure the charge isn’t low. I prefer to charge mine when there’s 3 lights.
Power adapter plug.jpg

Got a new smart phone a few weeks ago, very happy with it. :) Motorola G7 Power from Consumer Cellular.

The battery is great. But I have a concern: this area is prone to power outages. I've been advised to get a portable charger.

I've researched chargers that would be compatible with my phone, and I've looked at some YouTube videos. I'm confused and my computer buddy isn't available this weekend.

How would I charge my phone from my laptop? Do I need to get a USB cord to connect to a power bank?
You can charge your phone from your laptop. You use the normal charging cord that came with the phone. You plug it into the USB port and then into your phone. But when charging from a computer or laptop, the charging is slower. And then you have to keep your laptop charged up. You can't get away from a power source. to charge batteries.
You can get a portable charger at Dollarama. But here's the rub. You have to keep the portable chargers charged up as well in order for them to work.
This is what I do. I get to keep my phone when my contract is up. The battery on my old phone fits my new phone. So I keep them both charged up. If one fails, I just switch batteries.

Back