Postmodern Jukebox

Meanderer

Supreme Member
Postmodern-Jukebox.png

I am a Doo Wop and Bluegrass fan from forever. This group does a decent job, but I wish they would smile more and look like they are enjoying what they are doing. I realize it's not about the appearance, but in a way it is. I like they way they harmonize. They sound as though as they all "fit together," which is what Doo Wop is supposed to sound like.

Thanks for sharing.

I agree om, even the clown didn't pack a smile!:) What I like is the fresh new approach they bring to old established styles of music. Even though they are not exactly "mugging" for the camera, they seem to be having fun with it! I think the dead pan look is intentional, for effect.

Jackie Wilson, a.k.a. "Mr. Excitement", has a very interesting bio. If any of you ever get a chance maybe you will want to read it. He was a live-wire on stage, thus the nickname, "Mr. Excitement." His last appearance was his last appearance. He was singing the song "Lonely Teardrops" and when he got to the line, "My heart is crying" he clutched his heart and fell to his knees. The audience at first thought his actions were part of the act and did not react, but after he did not get up, everyone knew Jackie was in trouble. He did recover, but was just never the same and died years later at the age of 49, I believe.

I was lucky enough to see and meet Jackie at a concert that I went to and paid to go backstage post concert. I also met Mary Wells, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles and the Supremes, but not Diana Ross. I guess even at that time that she felt above everyone to do a handshake with the public. But, getting back to Jackie, I loved this man and his music as soon as I saw him perform on Bandstand.

I know this thread is not about Jackie Wilson, but I have so many fond memories of him and a few other "oldies" singers that I can't help myself sometimes with sharing what I know about them. I really enjoy talking about Doo Wop. Just a really great era.

Rock On!

BTW, I am really enjoying this thread, so keep posting, please. The song or video "All About Bass", sounds like maybe it is smooth jazz. It reminds me of that diaper commercial on TV with the babies. Very cute and in fact, I watch the babies more than I do the commercial itself. I can't even tell you what diapers they are selling.

BTW, I am really enjoying this thread, so keep posting, please.
Me too, oldman. And, meanderer, love the "Shake it Off" one. It's interesting how they put a vintage spin on modern songs…even rap. I don't even recognize the original rap version of this one, Gangsta's Paradise…...1920's Al Capone Style:

Yes, very '40's, that's for sure. Even her dress and hairstyle meet the era requirements. Beautiful voice, but for crying out loud, SMILE!!! Let the audience know that you are enjoying what your doing.

Yes, very '40's, that's for sure. Even her dress and hairstyle meet the era requirements. Beautiful voice, but for crying out loud, SMILE!!! Let the audience know that you are enjoying what your doing.
haha oldman…I think it has to do with the sultry look that was typical of that era

"Seven Nation Army" "White Stripes" redo in the Vintage New Orleans Dirge style.
Another amazing vintage transformation. Google "seven nation army white stripes youtube" to view the original.

^ Cool. That tambourine man steals the show!! haha

The singer is reading the lyrics. I was wondering what he was looking at ("mile"-marker 1:08). Enlarge your screen. He was adjusting it and then continued watching it. It doesn't matter but I always admired the fantastic memory these singers have for all those lyrics they sing. I'll bet most do despite the prompt.

Keep your eye on this same tambourine guy :rofl:, he reeeeally steals the show in this one (still laughing at 2:18+):

Birthday - Vintage Doo Wop / Soul Katy Perry Cover ft. The Tee - Tones. Guess who shows up for the "Birthday"....only to "fizzle"?:confused:

Back