Presa Canario at dog show

applecruncher

SF VIP
Just for the heck of it I looked at the Presa Canario at a dog show, also the Cane Corso.
Yikes. :eek:mg1: (Pit Bull and Rottweiller, you are no match...go home.)

They are huge, many times they are trained to be watch/attack dogs. I don't think I've ever seen one in person, just in books....safer that way. :eek:

SB, I saw a Presa years ago at a body shop when I picked up my car at night...paid cash.

In videos the dogs are well trained and behaved. Brave judges!

Show dogs have to be well trained and well socialized. Many years ago I started to show my first Standard Schnauzer, he won a few puppy and obedience ribbons, but I soon stopped doing it, I didn't like putting the dog through all that and the people at the shows were pretty uppity.

I went to a few conformation classes with him and other dogs and owners/handlers. We all had to make our dogs sit and be examined by other people in the class. So that meant looking at their teeth, feeling their coat, legs, tail, etc. Was a weird experience, but glad I did it.

Seeing a Presa at an auto shop would make me very nervous.

Would hate to come across one of those dogs.

In the AKC, another large, muscular, powerful breed is the Dogo Argentino ... breed to hunt mountain lions!
He's in the 'working group'. :)

Dogo.Care_.jpg

I hear that the Presa Canario is the top choice of drug dealers and meth labs, especially in California. Apparently they can be trained to be so ferocious, they make the rotties and dobies look like society ladies at a tea.

Presas are known to be at high stakes poker games, gun stores, pawn shops....places that have lots of cash on the premises.

Fifteen or so years ago,there was a highly publicized case (and trial) of a Presa Canario that killed a woman that lived in the same apartment building. It was pretty gruesome. The dog`s owner was convicted of second degree murder and sentenced to 15 years to Life in prison. She was recently denied parole. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Diane_Whipple

My friend has two Cane Canarios. The two of them are very sweet dogs. Great with kids.

Last edited:
@Mrs. Robinson

Yes, I remember hearing about it in the news. Two Presas. Happened in San Francisco in 2001. I glanced at the online story when I created this thread. The dog owners' lawyers (two lawyers taking care of the dogs) went to prison.

I think you meant your friend's dogs are Cane Corsos.

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]
@Mrs. Robinson

Yes, I remember hearing about it in the news. Two Presas. Happened in San Francisco in 2001. I glanced at the online story when I created this thread. The dog owners (two lawyers) went to prison.

I think you meant your friend's dogs are Cane Corsos.

Yes,I meant Cane Corsos lol.

Attachments

• Cane Canario 2.jpg
    Cane Canario 2.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Cane Canario Vinny.jpg
    Cane Canario Vinny.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 8
Fifteen or so years ago,there was a highly publicized case (and trial) of a Presa Canario that killed a woman that lived in the same apartment building. It was pretty gruesome. The dog`s owner was convicted of second degree murder and sentenced to 15 years to Life in prison. She was recently denied parole. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Diane_Whipple

My friend has two Cane Canarios. The two of them are very sweet dogs. Great with kids.
I followed that case. The husband is an attorney & both are dirtbags. The husband actually blamed the victim, saying "She caused the attack because she was a lesbian & she sent out the wrong pheromones which confused my dog."

A dog like that showing up on my property.....would be dead quicker than you could say "Glock."

Back