Price of diesel hits all-time high, straining the trucking industry

The price of diesel hit an all-time high in the United States this week as energy markets around the world cope with ongoing disruptions amid Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

The average price of a gallon of diesel was $5.296 on Sunday, up about 4.3% from one week ago and nearly twice as much as one year ago.

Gas prices are also elevated, standing at $4.187 a gallon on Sunday, down slightly from the all-time high of $4.331 on March 11, according to AAA.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy...all-time-high-straining-the-trucking-industry

My opinion, our home land comes first, excess then can be sold to other countries. And that goes for everything.
In another couple of weeks, we will become a net exporter of Crude Petroleum and Products for the calendar year. Crude Petroleum and Products are now at an all time high for exports.

That 1 million barrel a day release from the SPR started May 1st. The only thing keeping gasoline prices down is usage is down about 3% from this time last year. Don't expect that to last, imho.

There is an old proverb about "it ain't over til the fat lady sings". We need to find her quick, and make her belt out a couple of tunes... imho.

In another couple of weeks, we will become a net exporter of Crude Petroleum and Products for the calendar year. Crude Petroleum and Products are now at an all time high for exports.

That 1 million barrel a day release from the SPR started May 1st. The only thing keeping gasoline prices down is usage is down about 3% from this time last year. Don't expect that to last, imho.

There is an old proverb about "it ain't over til the fat lady sings". We need to find her quick, and make her belt out a couple of tunes... imho.
I'd wager that Putin was banking on the economic strain of the pandemic when he decided to invade Ukraine....if I had anything to wager.

I'd wager that Putin was banking on the economic strain of the pandemic when he decided to invade Ukraine....if I had anything to wager.
I think he was banking on NATO sending troops on the ground, then cutting off N/G and Oil, which would have seriously impeded the EU economy and as most of the people in the most affected countries would have blamed the U.S., led to fracturing of NATO. I realize the headlines scream NATO has never been more united, but the newspapers of various EU countries paint a dis-jointed alliance.

Then there is China and whether their lockdowns are intentional or real... the impact on shipping will be quite a slap in the fact of western economies, imho.

I think he was banking on NATO sending troops on the ground, then cutting off N/G and Oil, which would have seriously impeded the EU economy and as most of the people in the most affected countries would have blamed the U.S., led to fracturing of NATO. I realize the headlines scream NATO has never been more united, but the newspapers of various EU countries paint a dis-jointed alliance.

Then there is China and whether their lockdowns are intentional or real... the impact on shipping will be quite a slap in the fact of western economies, imho.
NATO is a bit corrupt, imo, and it's the EU that's acted unexpectedly cohesive since the invasion. I hope the US's current administration strengthens it's position with Taiwan the way it's done with Ukraine...or at least clarifies it.

I couldn't agree more, but we keep sending oil, raw logs, water, and electricity, etc to the US .

That's one component of the United States/Canada alliance. The other component is NORAD which is under the defense umbrella provided by the USAF.

Last edited:
What does that mean? What's the FHP?

Oooops sorry. FHP stands for Florida Highway Patrol a/k/a "Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles" but every state law enforcement agency has a "Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Unit" that among enforcing other violations checks for public road use of commercial vehicles equipped with diesel powered engines using untaxed off road diesel fuel.

EU that's acted unexpectedly cohesive since the invasion
I would disagree, with Hungary openly talking of utilizing the rubles for oil scheme and stating at least 10 other countries will do the same. Previously these countries were openly blaming Germany for resisting sanctions, etc. while secretly thanking the Germans. Now the divisions are becoming more apparent. That cohesion was merely a temporary illusion, imho.

There is quite a difference between European News websites in English and those requiring any of the on-line translators.

I would disagree, with Hungary openly talking of utilizing the rubles for oil scheme and stating at least 10 other countries will do the same. Previously these countries were openly blaming Germany for resisting sanctions, etc. while secretly thanking the Germans. Now the divisions are becoming more apparent. That cohesion was merely a temporary illusion, imho.

There is quite a difference between European News websites in English and those requiring any of the on-line translators.
Interesting. I'll look into that.

Oooops sorry. FHP stands for Florida Highway Patrol a/k/a "Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles" but every state law enforcement agency has a "Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Unit" that among enforcing other violations checks for public road use of commercial vehicles equipped with diesel powered engines using untaxed off road diesel fuel.
Ah. Thanks. I thought the aggressive action was due to the Freedom Truckers thing.

I fueled up my tractor, and filled two 5 gallon jugs a couple of weeks ago....at about $4.80/Gal. Hopefully, that will last me the bulk of the Summer. However, I, and everyone else will be paying for the added costs of delivery to the stores, etc.

Last edited:

Very few civilians are aware that NORAD conducted an exercise in April of 2001, that included setting up a situation where an aircraft was hijacked by foreign terrorists and flown into the Pentagon like a missile attack, but they dismissed the exercise as not probable. Five months later, the dismissed exercise became a reality.

Some airline pilots were also made aware of this exercise, but took it nonchalantly. I found the following article on the Internet.

In April 2001, NORAD considered an exercise in which an aircraft of foreign origin was hijacked by terrorists and flown into the Pentagon, like a missile, but rejected the scenario as implausible.[47] Five months later, a similar scenario occurred.[49] However, in January 2002, Maj. Gen. Larry Arnold, stated "... we did not honestly think about hijacked airliners being used in suicide attacks."

9/11 Attacks

When a supervisor told me about the exercise stated above this post, I was kind of wondering why they would be practicing something like a hijacked airline. After all, we hadn't had a successful hijacking of a U.S. airline in more than 20 years, or so I thought at the time. I asked a pilot friend of mine who flew for American and he scoffed at the idea of a foreign terrorist group hijacking an American based airline. I guess our reckless and disobedient thinking kind of caught us off guard.

I couldn't agree more, but we keep sending oil, raw logs, water, and electricity, etc to the US .

That's one component of the United States/Canada alliance. The other component is NORAD which is under the defense umbrella provided by the USAF.

Does NORAD even exist anymore? Last I heard they were tracking Santa Claus across the world. Seems like the US gets more than Canada does.

Yes NORAD still exists. The Santa Tracker was inspired by NORAD, but has no current connection. The U.S. and Canada have historically had a trade totaling nearly 600B USD and the U.S. does have a trade deficit. https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c1220.html

Update

I don't pretend to understand the global energy supply. Russia is putting a strain on the system, and we've had an enormous shock to the system due to the Covid shutdown. At one point, oil producing nations had to pay others just for storage space. The world's energy system is vast, international, complicated. and run by humans. Covid screwed it up. It's not going to bounce back without hiccups.

Back