Protesters At Local MLK Breakfast

Rocker, if you want to move to Colorado (for whatever reason), just do it. Nobody cares. Why do you have the need to keep talking about it?

Also, I get the feeling that this is not really about Colorado, but is a thinly disguised political discussion?

Rocker, if you want to move to Colorado (for whatever reason), just do it. Nobody cares. Why do you have the need to keep talking about it?

Also, I get the feeling that this is not really about Colorado, but is a thinly disguised political discussion?

I agree. (but I don't care why he feels the need to talk about it)

Giving the thread a "Martin Luther King breakfast" title then continuing to blather on and on about moving to Colorado is pathetic and downright offensive.

This is a stupid thread and should be deleted.

NOPE, not trying to do anything political in this thread at all. Sorry if any of you thought that it was about that or Colorado. Basically, was just doing a thread about a local news event and how there are folks here that are completely disgusted with the crime/shooting/murders here. But, it sure doesn't appear that any of the protesting done any good. Yesterday evening there was a drive-by shooting on the west side where one person was killed and the other severely injured.

If there are those here that think this thread is "pathetic" and/or "downright offensive"...……...we, as in wife and I, have no idea why anyone would think that way. The gentlemen that replied to it, didn't think it was either.

Most likely, the only way most of you would understand about this city, would be to LIVE HERE!

[QUOTE Most likely, the only way most of you would understand about this city, would be to LIVE HERE! [/QUOTE]

Doesn't have to be there CR. I spent some time in Pine Hills (aka crime hills) in Orlando helping the daughter off a house there. :mad: (another story about shady realtors). All night long, every night, sirens, helicopters, gun shots. Most nights, police jumping the fence and running after a perp cutting through the yard. Iron bars on your windows and doors. :( I say good luck with your move and do what keps you and your other happy. :)

Gee, my son lived in Jax for a few years, I worked there on a short term assignment for about 6 month, lived near Orlando for over 6 years, and never had any of those issues. Sure, there was plenty of crime, just like you find in any medium to large city. Jax is hardly at the top of the list. Aurora CO, however, is in the top 10, and Denver is higher than Jax. I didn't see Orlando, but I've only had one cup of coffee...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_crime_rate

We see what we want to see.

A lot has to do with the general area. However, you can't argue with statistics. Of course, Orlando leading the pack is really nothing to brag about. per capita, it even beats Chicago. :eek:

https://www.areavibes.com/orlando-fl/crime/

https://www.areavibes.com/jacksonville-fl/crime/

https://www.areavibes.com/aurora-co/crime/

https://www.areavibes.com/denver-co/crime/

https://www.areavibes.com/chicago-il/crime/

Not sure what your point is, but here's what I see from your "areavibes" (versus FBI) stats
Chicago 1099 violent crimes per 100k population
Orlando 744
Denver 676
Jax 631
Aurora 608

My point is that neither Jax nor Orlando are exceptional regarding crime, and the claim that you have to live there to understand is baseless.

guess I need to brush up on my math. silly me... here I thought a 1 in 17 (Orlando) chance of being a victim of a crime was worse than a 1 in 23 chance (Chicago)
Also, a quote from the FBI site." The FBI cautions the data users against comparing yearly statistical data solely on the basis of their population coverage."

guess I need to brush up on my math. silly me... here I thought a 1 in 17 (Orlando) chance of being a victim of a crime was worse than a 1 in 23 chance (Chicago)
Also, a quote from the FBI site." The FBI cautions the data users against comparing yearly statistical data solely on the basis of their population coverage."

And I thought 1099/100k was greater than 744/100k for violent crime (per your source). So again, my point is that there is nothing special about the crime in Jax or Orlando. And this thread started out about Jax, where CR lives.

Are you done now?

Then why are there those that live here and call Jacksonville "Murderville"? Certain parts of Jacksonville is well known to JSO (Jacksonville Sheriffs Office) for crime/gun violence and gangs.

When the last Major and Sheriff was elected, the people in Jacksonville were told how they plan to lower the gun violence/murders here...…….simply put, didn't happen!

A lot of Blacks that live in those "crime" areas want the shootings and killings to stop...…...but. Some of them even say how unsafe Jacksonville really is, and, if they could, they'd move.

As far as Aurora, CO goes, only part of that area is ripe with crime. If a person was to go into Aurora Hills or Smoky Hills, you'd never think you were even in Aurora. But, then again, those two areas have very high priced homes. We couldn't afford those two areas when we lived there and wouldn't even think about living in the bad part of Aurora.
Where we are moving to is a hour and half drive north of Aurora and definitely not part of Denver.

Like I've already said, "we live here", so we really, really know the areas where it's bad. We are just thankful we don't live in one of those areas. Each morning I check my iPhone News app of First Coast News and sometimes watch some of another news network here. Darn near on a daily basis, someone is getting shot, robbed or killed.

Then why are there those that live here and call Jacksonville "Murderville"? Certain parts of Jacksonville is well known to JSO (Jacksonville Sheriffs Office) for crime/gun violence and gangs.

When the last Major and Sheriff was elected, the people in Jacksonville were told how they plan to lower the gun violence/murders here...…….simply put, didn't happen!

A lot of Blacks that live in those "crime" areas want the shootings and killings to stop...…...but. Some of them even say how unsafe Jacksonville really is, and, if they could, they'd move.

As far as Aurora, CO goes, only part of that area is ripe with crime. If a person was to go into Aurora Hills or Smoky Hills, you'd never think you were even in Aurora. But, then again, those two areas have very high priced homes. We couldn't afford those two areas when we lived there and wouldn't even think about living in the bad part of Aurora.
Where we are moving to is a hour and half drive north of Aurora and definitely not part of Denver.

Like I've already said, "we live here", so we really, really know the areas where it's bad. We are just thankful we don't live in one of those areas. Each morning I check my iPhone News app of First Coast News and sometimes watch some of another news network here. Darn near on a daily basis, someone is getting shot, robbed or killed.

Just my opinion, but I don't know why any retiree with a choice would choose to live in Jacksonville Fla. To be kind, it really isn't the most senior friendly city in Florida. There are probably a hundred other cities in Florida I would move to before Jacksonville.

Just my opinion, but I don't know why any retiree with a choice would choose to live in Jacksonville Fla. To be kind, it really isn't the most senior friendly city in Florida. There are probably a hundred other cities in Florida I would move to before Jacksonville.

You are RIGHT there...…..definitely NOT "Senior Friendly" here. We don't go downtown anymore. Actually, if we go out in the evening, we are back home by 9PM. The one very nice entertainment spot, close to us, called Latitude 360, was shut down. It had a small band area and dance floor. Two bands use to play there that we really, really liked. One, a Disco type and the other Classic Rock.

Thing is, most, if not all, of the areas in Florida for Seniors, are way too costly to rent an apartment. And, from what I've come across, not many Seniors like my humor that is mixed in with some "attitude" and "sarcasm". My wife absolutely loves my humor (thank God).

Back