Question about Profile Posts: Reply or Not Able to.

Kaila

SF VIP
I have noticed that after reading some of the Profile Posts, if you click on the dots, to "interact"
then you get an option to write a comment in the reply box, in addition to choosing a 'like' symbol.

But on other profile posts, there is not any additional option to write any reply or comment.
I cannot find any other way to comment on those, either, such as by going to their profile posts by a different route.

Is that a choice made by the poster of the profile post?
If so, is it for all of their profile posts, or specified by them, individually by post?

Or is there some other reason for the difference,
and for why, and for which ones, enable reply comments, while others do not?

As @Ruthanne said, there is a privacy option to set who can post on your profile page: click on your avatar at the top, select "Privacy", you can see an option "Post messages on your profile page: ", they must have changed it to "People you follow" or "Nobody". However, some may not know the effect when they made the change.

Thank you for these replies to my question!

Does that mean then,
that the members who have decided to stop following anyone,
(some of them recently, and some always, for a number of reasons people had)

that now, their profile posts cannot post any replies from anyone?

That might be an unintended result for some.
Especially for some who in the past, DID have "friends" on the old format, or "followers" on the new format.
Some of them might not even know that we are unable to post in response to their profile post.

Though perhaps they chose "no one" intentionally, which is fine, too.

And it is not a major issue, anyway....
I am just looking to comprehend the reason for the different options, for responding to profile posts,
when they are on the home page, where we all see them.

Theoretically then, if someone replies in an unpleasant way, to a member's profile post,
the member can delete the other member's reply?
As long as it is on their profile section?

Not sure anyone would realize they could do that, if they were open for all replies.
Obviously , we cannot do that in any other sections of the website or forum.

Confirm that I understood that correctly?

Theoretically then, if someone replies in an unpleasant way, to a member's profile post,
the member can delete the other member's reply?
As long as it is on their profile section?

Not sure anyone would realize they could do that, if they were open for all replies.
Obviously , we cannot do that in any other sections of the website or forum.

Confirm that I understood that correctly?
Yes, that's correct. I think many members know that, we had a discussion about profile posts, I mentioned this more than once.

Profile pages are personal space, members should be able to manage them any way they like.

Okay and thank you, @Matrix ! (y)

I WILL read that thread, too!
(Again, as I think I had, but I probably then forgot some of it!)

What I had remembered , was some recent thread in which someone asked for a chat option,
and it was suggested to use the profile posts, instead;
I think it specified that profile posts are on the front page, and therefore could be used like quick chats,
and yet, when I subsequently tried to do that, some of them don't take replies,
which lead to my OP, here.

But now i do understand a lot more, thank you !
and I will re-read this thread, and that one.
Thanks, again!

Back