Question for @ohioboy

...or, not a question, really, but because you're interested in law, I'm wondering what you think about what's going on in the video below.

To summarize;

A deputy in full uniform enters his local IRS office....just wants to ask a question.
The IRS office's security guy holds the deputy at gunpoint because of the "no guns on premises" policy.
Security guy calls 911 to report "a black guy walking around a federal building with a gun." (and, yeah, the deputy is black)
The building is actually owned by the state, says the police chief.
Everyone is stumped.

Ok, a question...Is a law enforcement officer, sworn to protect and serve the public, limited as to where s/he can protect and serve?
(I mean, if there actually was some guy walking around there with a gun, bent on killing some IRS agents, they're not gonna rely solely on their security guy.)

oops

Last edited:
Thanks for the Q. I keyed in the phrase and watched the video. The Guard was on an ego trip. He thought since he was assigned to federal property, he was superior to a Deputy sheriff. Sure, there are restrictions on being armed in a federal building, but the man is clearly a deputy, the gun is not concealed, etc. The call to 911 was misleading and frankly a bunch of crap. The video posted the man was charged with aggravated menacing, imo, rightfully so.

Thanks for the Q. I keyed in the phrase and watched the video. The Guard was on an ego trip. He thought since he was assigned to federal property, he was superior to a Deputy sheriff. Sure, there are restrictions on being armed in a federal building, but the man is clearly a deputy, the gun is not concealed, etc. The call to 911 was misleading and frankly a bunch of crap. The video posted the man was charged with aggravated menacing, imo, rightfully so.
And it's key, imo, that the deputy was leaving. He asked if they had lockers where he could park his weapons, was told there wasn't, and he agreed to leave.

The deputy's right, "That (security) guy is a goof."

And it's key, imo, that the deputy was leaving. He asked if they had lockers where he could park his weapons, was told there wasn't, and he agreed to leave.

The deputy's right, "That (security) guy is a goof."
Could not find any record of the lawsuit, but one link said it was settled. The guard was given probation, initially pleading not guilty. He pleaded out or plea bargained. It seems he was employed by a company contracted by the IRS and not a GSA or actual IRS employee?

Poorly handled procedurally. He wanted to display his power, or so thought of power.

This was on YT on the sideline next to yours. A lawsuit followed of course. Another example of a "Rent a cop" playing cop. The two were not even licensed to carry guns as security. Imagine the fear the driver went through. Big men got chopped down!

This was on YT on the sideline next to yours. A lawsuit followed of course. Another example of a "Rent a cop" playing cop. The two were not even licensed to carry guns as security. Imagine the fear the driver went through. Big men got chopped down!

"Get outta the car!"

What was the plan? Cuff him? Frisk him and search the car?

Security guards do not have the power to arrest or detain, or frisk, or search. Even the armed ones don't have the same authorities as police officers.

And ego + firearm = nothing but bad news.
In my video and yours, we have guards who consider a gun an extension of their Manhood.

In my video, the only element of concern to the guard was the drivers and patrons safety. Once it was known why he ran over a cone, that should have ended it. I would have done the same thing and refused to exit the car. The problem with that, as we saw, was, the Stupidvisor, er I mean Supervisor, threatened to break the window if he did not comply. The guards, and their employer, were deservedly busted down.

Back