Questions to ask at senior living facility

When I asked about bringing my own carpet, I was told the apartments already have wall-to-wall carpeting. We didn't get into wall color, but I would assume what's there is the way they want it. Another thing, even if you want to hang a picture on the wall, you have place a work order with the maintenance staff.

The term "senior living" can actually more than one thing. There are "active adult" communities where there is an age restriction to live there (55). Then there are the places that are "independent living" but often have various elements of assisted living available as needs increase. And then there are assisted living facilities that offer meals, cleaning and medical - but there is the thing you have to check carefully, the degree of medical assistance available. I've had friends enjoy a place until one of the partners needed more (dementia had set in). He got shipped out and she stayed.In another case the wife got dementia and the husband was told to move her, the facility could not deal with her - you really do not want to hear that.

So, depending on your needs and desires today and a realistic look at the future, there are a lot of questions you must ask and, before committing, get it in writing that you will be getting what you think you are.

The reputable ones that provide for whatever the future may bring are not inexpensive, but a lot less expensive than trying to get the services when they are needed.

On more thought - when on the "tour" you want to try to see yourself not visiting but living there. I operate on the theory - "It's Thursday afternoon. What am I doing - and am I smiling?".

Again, I have to refer to where my parents are - they own their unit and are allowed to do what any condo owner would do - paint, decorate or move walls if they want to. However, when they relinquish the unit, either to go into nursing care, move out or die, the unit will be completely gutted and everything new installed like it was. They will get their initial investment back once the unit is re-sold. I don't know how many square feet they have but it is a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom corner unit in Maris Grove (An Erickson Community in Glen Mills, PA - just north of the Delaware border, east of Rt. 202). They bought it in 2007 for around $250,000-new construction. I also think they pay around $2500/month which pretty much includes everything like basic cable, utilities, recycle and trash as well as access to the facilities like pool, theater, meeting rooms, library, etc. I would expect to pay extra for services like the spa & hair salon or equipment rental, or garden plot. We are flying up next weekend so I maybe I can get a sales flyer and list of fees. I have to say - it is like living on a cruise ship and the food is amazing! Too bad we have no interest in living in that area.

We DO plan to position ourselves near a place like this so we can ultimately transition into that when we're ready. I have done a lot of research online. Some are happily forthcoming with any information you need and their costs are readily accessed. Some are very protective of their information and I agree, it makes it hard to make a decision. Lets not waste everyone's time. I realize that markets change and fees change but there should be some range so people can gauge their budget. It should not be hard to make adjustments to the website as things change. Most places will happily send you information via USMail. I have several packets and we pretty much decided that if we have to ask - we cannot afford it. I appreciate that you are sharing your experience here!!

I had called another area independent senior facility and was informed that they were having an "open house" on Saturday, so I decided to go and see what they had to offer. When I walked in and told the first person I saw that I was there for the open house, she seemed totally flustered, like she wasn't even aware there was one. She said (let's call him Andy), "Andy usually handles these things but he isn't here right now." She scooped up some papers from her desk and gave me what I would call a whirlwind tour (probably not even 20 minutes) which included looking at the "spa", community room, art room, pool, bar and a demo apartment (one they keep just to show as an example). After this she gave me a pamphlet about the facility and showed me the door saying that if I had any questions to call. I did not receive a good impression from this - the very nervous receptionist who wasn't aware there was an open house, where was the mysterious Andy that was supposed to be handling guests, not being offered a chair to sit and discuss my needs and concerns, not even offered glass of water (being an open house I expected at least coffee and donuts for guests) and being given a cook's tour followed by a bum's rush out the door.

>>even if you want to hang a picture on the wall, you have place a work order with the maintenance staff.>>

It's probably due to insurance liability issues. And if you have ever been a landlord, you really do not want just anybody picking up a power tool to drill into a wall. Most of these facilities have fire-resistant drywall or even lightweight concrete walls, because fire is a HUGE nightmare for a group facility of any kind.

I've been to about half a dozen "independent" senior facilities now. It amazes me when I ask the representative a pointed question, how much they can say without actually giving a "yes" or "no" answer - like smoke and mirrors. One even told me I had to pay them $100 so they could do a background check on me! I find it difficult to believe I have to pay for that. One took it upon themselves to mail me their 10 page lease agreement only an attorney would understand - who could wade through all that legalese? One representative said housekeeping was included, but on speaking to one of the lessee's relatives I met outside, they said that it was "housekeeping" in name only; a joke really. About all they do is vacuum the floor where there isn't any furniture. And I get a general feeling that these facilities are only interested in leasing an apartment as quick as they can and aren't really that interested in a client's needs and concerns. They will say and promise anything to get a room rented - like a car sales agent.

I found the same thing to be true when I was helping look for a place for my boss's mother a few years ago. Why can't those places just give you a straight answer about things? It seems like it would save them (and you) a lot of time and trouble. As to those awful contracts, I'd get a lawyer (the senior citizens law centers have people who will do that for you at a far reduced price) before I signed one of those things. Those things can be intimidating even to those of us who are familiar with legal gobbledygook, and I sure wouldn't sign one without an attorney looking at it. You sure wouldn't find out you had signed something that contained a great big pothole you hadn't anticipated. Could cost you a buncha money down the line.

Back