Quirky kitchen items

When I was a kid we kept butter eggs and cheese at room temperature.

We never had a problem with spoilage but we used all of those items every day in one way or another.

I still have one of these old sanitary cheese keepers in my kitchen. The cheese sits on those glass fins and allows the air to circulate around it. You put a little water and or apple cider vinegar in the bottom and change it periodically. The moisture helps to keep the cheese from drying out and the vinegar helps to prevent mold from forming.

I also have one of these Sandland silver luster covered cheese dishes. Covered cheese dishes used to be a permanent fixture on kitchen tables across the country. These days we settle for individual slices of artificial cheese wrapped in plastic. :(

View attachment 114348 View attachment 114349
My parents have that same cheese tray and cover. It came with the cottage back in 1972 before my husband and my dad built it into a house. I always wondered what that thing was for. Now I know.

I've been fascinated by the Weiss Friars and am amazed at the different detail and expressions on each one.

View attachment 114380 View attachment 114381
images
images
Didn't know they were called Weiss Friars Aunt Bea. They look fantastic. Will look up info about them. Thanks for that. ☺

I don't know if it is quirky or not but I have this thing called a salad saver. It goes in the refrigerator and keeps lettuce and various types of produce fresh longer. I never saw one before I bought this. It seems to work.

Back