Quotes from history,......, I come to bury Caesar, not to....

WSC October 1, 1939 - I cannot forecast to you the action of Russia. It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma; but perhaps there is a key. That key is Russian national interest.

"If I were not Alexander, I should wish to be Diogenes"
(a hermit philosopher admired by Alexander the Great)

"Remember upon the behaviour of each depends the fate of all",
(the great man from ancient Greece again!)

"Heaven cannot brook two suns, nor earth two masters"
(Alexander again)
I had to look up Diogenes and this is what I found.
Diogenes was known as Diogenes the Cynic. He was a very eccentric Greek philosopher admired by Alexander but the feeling was not mutual.

The renowned Macadeonian monarch came to visit Diogenes one day and found him leisurely lying in the sun. When Alexander asked him if he wanted anything, he replied, "Stand a little out of my sun." As an extreme minimalist, Diogenes did not respect Alexander's lifestyle. As philosopher Plutarch writes, "It is said that Alexander was so struck by this, and admired so much the haughtiness and grandeur of the man who had nothing but scorn for him, that he said to his followers, who were laughing and jesting about the philosopher as they went away, "But truly, if I were not Alexander, I wish I were Diogenes."" In turn, Diogenes replied, "If I were not Diogenes, I would still wish to be Diogenes."

Back