Rainbows... finding the leprechauns pot of gold

Aunt Marg

SF VIP
Thinking about and missing my mom today, I remember sitting with her as a young child, looking at rainbows in the distance, and her telling me, at one end of all rainbows awaits a leprechauns pot of gold.

How I dreamed of one day finding that pot of gold, and actually remember the day, the one and only time in my life when I was able to reach one end of a rainbow and pass through it.

To this day I've never forgotten about the whimsical dream of the pot of gold that awaits at one end of rainbows.

Is there anyone else here that chased the dream (as a child) of one day finding the pot of gold?

Anyone else pass through a rainbow in their day?

No. I was too busy deciding what to dress Barbie in. Sorry. I miss my mom. I called her today. I used to love when she made pie cuz she'd take the extra crust and roll it out thin and put butter with cinnamon and sugar on it and roll it up and cut it into bite size pieces and bake it. My brother and I loved those! We didn't care about the pie.

No. I was too busy deciding what to dress Barbie in. Sorry. I miss my mom. I called her today. I used to love when she made pie cuz she'd take the extra crust and roll it out thin and put butter with cinnamon and sugar on it and roll it up and cut it into bite size pieces and bake it. My brother and I loved those! We didn't care about the pie.
Memories are the best.

Thanks for sharing, Marci.

I was giving thought to how powerful memories are, and while money can buy many things, there's no amount of money in the world that could ever persuade me to cash-in the memories I have.

Both of those were beautifully told, in your above posts,
Aunt Marg, and Marci.

I do remember wondering about how to find the end of the rainbow, to see what was there.
There's something special about the way a child can wonder about things.

And we remember how someone planted those seeds of wonder, in our minds.

Most of mine were planted by my storybooks and my imagination.

I remember making those type of crust treats, for one of my little ones who loved them, Marci.

I am not Marg, ;) as you can see :LOL:
but I will butt in, :ROFLMAO:
to say, that while no one told me bedtime stories,
I remember taking my little storybooks, into bed with me. I went to sleep holding them. They were my friends, for sure.
And pretty good ones.
I loved all the little characters in them, that came to life in my mind, and kept me company.

Marg did your mom by any chance tell you bedtime stories?
Oh, all the time, Marci.

When I think back on it, it was such a magical time for me, a time when time stood still.

Beyond the days when I laid in my crib or bed listening to mom read me bedtime stories, a rash of baby siblings quickly took my place, and suddenly I found myself sitting next to mom in the evenings listening to her read bedtime stories to them.

I was close to all of my baby siblings, but especially close with my baby brother, seeing how he was the baby in the family, in addition to, 10 years separating us. Friday nights was babysitting night for me, and now in my teens, I cherished story-time, because not only did I read to baby siblings, I babysat outside the home, and story-time was a big part of my bedtime routine as a sitter.

I remember baby brother slung over one hip, me standing at the stove warming a nighttime bottle for him, and when bottle was ready, down to the baby room we'd go, and once I had baby brother settled in his crib, I'd pull-up the trusty old wooden chair in front, and see him off to sleep with a story.

I carried the tradition forward with my own children, and with few story books to my name when dear husband and I were first starting out, I often took to making up bedtime stories, with many incorporating the days events with an added hint of whimsy.

Honestly, I don't know who enjoyed story-time more, me, or my kids.

Oh, all the time, Marci.

When I think back on it, it was such a magical time for me, a time when time stood still.

Beyond the days when I laid in my crib or bed listening to mom read me bedtime stories, a rash of baby siblings quickly took my place, and suddenly I found myself sitting next to mom in the evenings listening to her read bedtime stories to them.

I was close to all of my baby siblings, but especially close with my baby brother, seeing how he was the baby in the family, in addition to, 10 years separating us. Friday nights was babysitting night for me, and now in my teens, I cherished story-time, because not only did I read to baby siblings, I babysat outside the home, and story-time was a big part of my bedtime routine as a sitter.

I remember baby brother slung over one hip, me standing at the stove warming a nighttime bottle for him, and when bottle was ready, down to the baby room we'd go, and once I had baby brother settled in his crib, I'd pull-up the trusty old wooden chair in front, and see him off to sleep with a story.

I carried the tradition forward with my own children, and with few story books to my name when dear husband and I were first starting out, I often took to making up bedtime stories, with many incorporating the days events with an added hint of whimsy.

Honestly, I don't know who enjoyed story-time more, me, or my kids.

that explains it. 😉
my folks didn't read to me at bedtime. so i wasn't aware of that rainbow for a long time.

I am not Marg, ;) as you can see :LOL:
but I will butt in, :ROFLMAO:
to say, that while no one told me bedtime stories,
I remember taking my little storybooks, into bed with me. I went to sleep holding them. They were my friends, for sure.
And pretty good ones.
I loved all the little characters in them, that came to life in my mind, and kept me company.
Awww... how I wish you could have been a part of our home when you were little, I would have changed that.

Your words are so true, storybooks allow a young child's imagination to bloom, and just reading through your post, I remember feeling and thinking the same way you did as to storybook characters. Such a big part of my growing years they were, and while I didn't read early or well, it was the pictures that satisfied me the most when I reached the stage of taking a book to bed with me.

So lovely the way you wrote what you did, Kaila.

that explains it. 😉
my folks didn't read to me at bedtime. so i wasn't aware of that rainbow for a long time.
Awww... what I'd give to be able to turn back the clock and change all of that for you.

I was the type of mom that would have felt right at home with inviting every single neighbourhood child into my home at bedtime, just to light up their world with a story.

My mother did the exact same thing, except left the dough in one big sheet (did not cut it up.)

Cinnamon Crisps.

There was a rainbow that looked like it was going into my neighbor's house (which was converted from a former church). I sent him the photo I took and asked if he found the pot of gold. I don't think he understood the joke.

View attachment 104046
OMG, Deb, not only is it a beautiful picture, but I have always dreamed of buying an old church and turning into a home!

Thank you so much for sharing!

A few years ago, for most of the summer, he had a roofer there putting on a SLATE roof! That guy must have money! That's a huge roof. It was once a church, then it was a Masonic Temple, now a private home. He has the basement all converted for his miniature train sets and tracks. Here's a better pic of it.

View attachment 104047
OMG, what a dream come true! I'm just thinking about the size of some of the rooms! So grand and open! And the lovely soaring, and I presume, stained-glass windows!

Yep, you are looking at my dream!

Thank you so much for this, Deb!

OMG, Deb, not only is it a beautiful picture, but I have always dreamed of buying an old church and turning into a home!

Thank you so much for sharing!
The area I live in dates back to colonial days. There are a few churches around here that have been purchased and converted into residences. There's one that's now a Day Care.

I was previously unaware that there is a Decommissioning Ceremony that's done when a church is no longer used as a place of worship.

It all open floor plan. Their bedroom is right by the big front window. Having it that way would make me a little nervous.
Me, too.

How interesting it would be to take a walk through just to get a feel for the layout. What a lucky homeowner!

The area I live in dates back to colonial days. There are a few churches around here that have been purchased and converted into residences. There's one that's now a Day Care.

I was previously unaware that there is a Decommissioning Ceremony that's done when a church is no longer used as a place of worship.
I caught a radio broadcast not long ago that talked about the vast number of churches that are being closed (here in Canada), and the steady number of churches that are on the verge of closing. The numbers were staggering, with some being demolished, while others are being slated to be sold.

I can't help but think about the deep pockets needed to convert such large buildings into homes, but what a dream, and what an adventure it would be!

A few years ago, for most of the summer, he had a roofer there putting on a SLATE roof! That guy must have money! That's a huge roof.
I looked up the cost of slate roofs, and on average the cost is a whopping $1500 per square foot! OMG!

Back