Read This Before You Organize Your Garage

Meanderer

Supreme Member
Our clutter-busting guide to help get yours shipshape
illustration-man-thinking.jpg

For Sure! I am amazed at the number of people who spend 10's of thousands on a new vehicle, then leave it sitting out in the weather year round....because their garage looks like one of the "Hoarding" shows on TV. After about 5 years, that nice new vehicle begins to look like it is decades old. I've got gob of tools, and "stuff", but I have it all placed in shelving, etc., around the perimeter of the garage, so we can keep the car and truck indoors when not being used. Even in my workshop, I try to keep things organized....primarily so I can remember where they are when I need to use them. I've got a sweet 1997 Dodge Dakota with about 96,000 miles on it, and it still looks like almost new....I will probably keep it until I'm too old to drive. Our 2006 Impala is the same. Keeping a vehicle clean, properly maintained, and garaged will lengthen its lifespan substantially, and save the owner tons of money....not having to buy a new car every few years.

Almost no one in a major CA city keeps their car in the garage. We seldom have basements or attics, so garages become the default storage space.

Our current SUV wouldn't fit into this old-style short, narrow, garage anyway. My DH uses it for his hobby room since he's a serious wargamer with thousands of figurines and a lot of topographical layout boards.

We had our vehicle coated with Cilajet for sun protection. Even in harsh CA sun it takes about 8-10 yrs before serious interior fading occurs anyway. I care more about keeping my vehicles in top mechanical condition than what they look like; that's just me.

Back