Readers Digest & Other Magazines

Jules

SF VIP
Marci mentioned Readers Digest, I didn’t know that it still existed. The only place I ever saw it was in doctors’ offices and those were always old copies.

Does anyone else get RD or other magazines? There aren’t many in the grocery store checkout areas, if any. Candy seems to be a better seller.

I don't read magazines anymore. Stopped reading them about two years ago.
I WRITE a monthly Feature article for a magazine, The Sedona Journal of Emergence and have for several years
I've been published in Alaska Magazine, Art and Antiques and Woman's World Magazines, plus a few others.

Last edited:
It's the same here ,or it was until the pandemic.. that old copies of RD were only ever found in the doctors waiting rooms.... sometimes if I was in the middle of reading a good article, I'd take it home with me and bring it back next time I was there...

As for Magazines, yes I do have one monthly and one bi -monthly ,both are subscription gifts which were bought for me years ago,and are still ongoing ...I never buy a magazine myself any more

I haven't had a subscription to a magazine since I was 18. I had just come into town one summer after a hard day in the field bailing/stacking hay. Stopped at the local post office to check mail when a real cute thing opened the passenger door and slide into the seat. Told me she was working her way through college selling subscriptions and would I like to buy some? There went most of my paychecks for the next couple of months until I could get them cancelled.!!!!! Now I find them in the stores and can scan the articles to see if anything is interesting but mostly I can get all I need from the internet!

Ever try to stop a subscription to a magazine when it was up?? ... Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

I had nothing against magazines, until I tried to end a subscription ( it was Prevention Magazine ) ... but after 2 years, I decided I wanted to stop getting it, and not renew ....
Pretty much impossible without a MAJOR battle and months of fighting with them .... They don't take NO very kindly.:ROFLMAO:

I guess it's easier to get ripped off at the newsstand for a single copy of a magazine then subscribe.

Last edited:
Our public library has a free app which offers literally dozens of magazines, some international, available to anyone on line with a library card. They have readers digest also. Just about any mag you could buy in a store and many like Smithsonian, Popular Mechanics, women’s mags men’s mags, a gay mag. It is called “Libby”. Can sign them out and “borrow” for two weeks, log on & go right where you left off reading. And you can “browse” if you want before borrowing it. I love it! When I think of the $ I spent in years past on subscriptions.....none recently tho.
maybe your libraries might have something like that.

Marci mentioned Readers Digest, I didn’t know that it still existed. The only place I ever saw it was in doctors’ offices and those were always old copies.

Does anyone else get RD or other magazines? There aren’t many in the grocery store checkout areas, if any. Candy seems to be a better seller.
My parents had a subscription to Readers Digest. Last time I saw one was a few years ago, at a doctor's office. It was thinner and a lot less entertaining than it used to be.

Yes, the wife and I both enjoy RD. It's really the only magazine subscription we have that isn't tied to something else, i.e., Westways which is tied to the auto club. It's also much cheaper with a subscription than from the checkout at the grocery store. Don...

I remember when Reader's Digest and National Geographic were tops in the subscription department.

No subscriptions for me, as I like to keep my buying options open when selecting a good read.

I totally forgot about Reader's Digest, and in fact didn't even know they were still being printed.

Yes, Aunt Marg, RD is still being printed and the articles are still pretty good and timely as well :). Don...
This is welcome news, Don, as I was a regular reader of Readers Digest for many years, and it's nice to know that they're still living up to quality reading/content.

My sister in law still gets magazines and shares them with me. I can go through 10 of them in about 45 minutes.
When we were first married I always subscribed to Good Housekeeping, Family Circle and Women's Day.
I've out grown them. They are geared for the young working women of today and I'm sure not one of them..
If I don't know the household hints by now I should sell the house.
I have enough clipped recipes to last me the rest of my life, I don't need wrinkle cream coupons, I'm beyond that and exercises on how to get rid of belly fat is the least of my worries, these days I need exercises to help me stay upright.

My sister in law still gets magazines and shares them with me. I can go through 10 of them in about 45 minutes.
When we were first married I always subscribed to Good Housekeeping, Family Circle and Women's Day.
I've out grown them. They are geared for the young working women of today and I'm sure not one of them..
If I don't know the household hints by now I should sell the house.
I have enough clipped recipes to last me the rest of my life, I don't need wrinkle cream coupons, I'm beyond that and exercises on how to get rid of belly fat is the least of my worries, these days I need exercises to help me stay upright.
Gosh, Ruth, you mentioned a few of my top favourites from back in the day.

Good Housekeeping, Family Circle (was a big one of my moms, too), as well as Women's Day.

Regarding Good Housekeeping, I remember (at times) how monstrous it was (thickness wise). Lots and lots of reading.

I haven't bought or subscribed to a magazine or newspaper since I stopped working over fifteen years ago.

I get the information that I need/enjoy from the internet using my laptop or iPhone.

It's getting a little more difficult to find quality content for free or without disabling my adblocker.

I understand it but nothing beats free! :giggle:

Magazines and even newspapers are on the decline. Even Playboy doesn't publish anymore. I sure do miss those articles, heh, heh, heh.

I subscribe to The Week Magazine and have for years. It is expensive, but worth it. Other magazines I borrow from the public library. Yes, they have Reader's Digest in both large and regular print, plus other popular magazines. I used to sit and read magazines at the library before Covid. Now I check them out.

I buy the odd RD when I am out and there is an article listed on it that I am interested in. I subscribe to Zoomers (seniors mag) and Canadian Living. Have bought: Real Simple, Martha Stewart, Chatelaine, Farmers Almanac (Canada), House and Home and others I can't remember.

I used to subscribe to years ago to Readers Digest.I recently cancelled my subscription to People because every other week it seemed to me a member of the Royal family was on the cover-enough already!
The magazines I do subscribe to are:
Saturday Evening Post,The Week,Yankee,NY Magazine

I used to subscribe to years ago to Readers Digest.I recently cancelled my subscription to People because every other week it seemed to me a member of the Royal family was on the cover-enough already!
The magazines I do subscribe to are:
Saturday Evening Post,The Week,Yankee,NY Magazine

Is Saturday Evening Post still around?

Back