Recipes You Tried That Turned Out Awful

Years ago,I was on one of my healthy eating kicks and tried a recipe....get ready for this...Apple Chicken Sausage with brown rice and raspberries?strawberries? (can`t remember.) Anyway,it was hubby and I,all four kids and the eldest two`s fiances were there. We all sat down at the table and I dished it up. Everybody took the obligatory tiny bite and looked at each other,stifling their laughter. Finally,one of my future sons in law stood up and said "Chinese,anyone?" So out we went.

Sidenote:we got to the Chinese restaurant and started to move tables to accommodate the 8 of us,and when the tables were moved,a bunch of cockroaches came skittering out! YIKES! We all got up to leave and the waitress (probably owner) came running out.Same son in law said to her."They all decided they want pizza." lol.

Sidenote:we got to the Chinese restaurant and started to move tables to accommodate the 8 of us,and when the tables were moved,a bunch of cockroaches came skittering out! YIKES! We all got up to leave and the waitress (probably owner) came running out.Same son in law said to her."They all decided they want pizza." lol.
Tell me what happened at the pizza place, did a rat take off with one of the slices?

You have to remove the green part of the fresh kale from the stems. Then rinse and freeze. When thawed it will be tender and emulsify better in the blender if you still make kale smoothies.

I don't mind kale; sometimes I put it in a vegetable soup.

You have to remove the green part of the fresh kale from the stems. Then rinse and freeze. When thawed it will be tender and emulsify better in the blender if you still make kale smoothies. I don't mind kale; sometimes I put it in a vegetable soup.
I don't care for smoothies, I will probably saute it. Thanks for the hint, will try it. Kale is supposed to be good nutrition.

Dunno if it's just me, but masasing one's food seems a bit woo-woo to me.
I wouldn't do it either. LOL But, according to the article, you can make kale softer just by chopping in small dices or letting it be for a while in the dressing. Or like RR said, freeze it. Supposedly it's good nutrition and worth it. My tortoise loves it and eats it with no problem. I'll remember to chop it up when I feed her after she wakes up in March.

I tried making creamed spinach one time and thought I would be smart and substitute yogurt for sour cream. I picked up *vanilla* yogurt by mistake. Fortunately I was the first one to take a bite and let the rest of the family know, “Don’t eat the spinach !!” Ewwww

The first dinner I attempted to cook my wife after getting married. I worked midnights and she worked days. I was never much of a cook. I thought I'd surprise her and make dinner. I think I put every canned good we had in the pantry into the pot and it just kept getting worse. No recipe what-so-ever. Things only got better from there. 🤪

The first dinner I attempted to cook my wife after getting married. I worked midnights and she worked days. I was never much of a cook. I thought I'd surprise her and make dinner. I think I put every canned good we had in the pantry into the pot and it just kept getting worse. No recipe what-so-ever. Things only got better from there. 🤪
I can't imagine what it tasted like, and what it did to your intestines. Weellll, did you two eat any of it???? What was her reaction? LOL

I buy kale for my tortoise, she loves it. I tried it in salads and sauteing it but it was very ''chewy''. How do you make it? On the other hand, I love escarole but can't find it in my store.
oh easy..just strip the stems out and roll it up cut into strips and massage it for a minute with your finger tips, and then cook it in a little oil in the frying pan for about 4 or 5 minutes or steam for about 10 mins.

if you're serving it raw in a salad, then add you r dressing to the kale first and let it marinate or about 10 or 15 minutes that will make it tender... or if you need it quickly, add it to a little bit of oil in a bowl and massage with your fingers for about 3 minutes ( little bit longer than the cooked)... I always a dd a tiny bit of butter to my Kale as well

oh easy..just strip the stems out and roll it up cut into strips and massage it for a minute with your finger tips, and then cook it in a little oil in the frying pan for about 4 or 5 minutes or steam for about 10 mins.

if you're serving it raw in a salad, then add you r dressing to the kale first and let it marinate or about 10 or 15 minutes that will make it tender... or if you need it quickly, add it to a little bit of oil in a bowl and massage with your fingers for about 3 minutes ( little bit longer than the cooked)... I always a dd a tiny bit of butter to my Kale as well
I used to buy Romaine lettuce for my yellow tangs when I had a salt water aquarium, they LOVED it.

Years ago,I was on one of my healthy eating kicks and tried a recipe....get ready for this...Apple Chicken Sausage with brown rice and raspberries?strawberries? (can`t remember.) Anyway,it was hubby and I,all four kids and the eldest two`s fiances were there. We all sat down at the table and I dished it up. Everybody took the obligatory tiny bite and looked at each other,stifling their laughter. Finally,one of my future sons in law stood up and said "Chinese,anyone?" So out we went.

I like your son-in-law already, Mrs. R!

Crock pot egg custard. It didn't taste bad but it was so watery that I wound up throwing much of it out. I will never do that again. Subsequently found out it's much easier to make it in my NuWave oven anyway, just like in a regular oven, plus it takes a lot less time.

Diva, your comment reminded me of something that my husband tried a dozen years ago or more. At the time he was quite enthralled with Alton Brown. Watched him a lot. A LOT. A WHOLE LOT.

Well, it was Easter time and I was getting ready to boil some water for eggs, when DH comes into the kitchen and says he'll take on this Easter task with the help of his boy, Alton.

The recipe called for placing the eggs on a very wet dish towel and baking them in the oven (forget the time and temp). Bear in mind, my husband is not a bad cook, but he's strictly a stovetop chef unless the package says Swanson. I was very skeptical but he insisted that he and Alton had this. I figured the guy's a tv star, a chef and a quasi food scientist; maybe I'll learn something.

Long story a bit shorter, pretty soon we smell something burning. Yes, (DH's favorite) dishtowel was crisping. Took out the smoking dishtowel, tested one of the eggs, which was nowhere near fully cooked. I boiled water to finish them off, threw out the burnt towel, and aired out the kitchen.

That DH used the dishtowel whose pattern he particularly liked was testimony to his unshakeable faith in Alton, overriding his lifelong understanding of physics and what was very likely to happen to cotton in a hot oven.

Silver lining: In this one fell swoop, DH was cured of his obsession with Alton Brown, FoodTV, and TV chefs who tout convoluted, unlikely recipes. Mention Alton Brown to him now and he's likely to grumble, "That hack cost me my favorite dish towel."

I'm sure you understand why I keep my favorite dish towel under wraps when hubby hits the kitchen.

Elvis.jpg

Last edited:
Diva, your comment reminded me of something that my husband tried a dozen years ago or more. At the time he was quite enthralled with Alton Brown. Watched him a lot. A LOT. A WHOLE LOT.

Well, it was Easter time and I was getting ready to boil some water to for eggs, when DH comes into the kitchen and says he'll take on this Easter task with the help of his boy, Alton.

The recipe called for placing the eggs on a very wet dish towel and baking them in the oven (forget the time and temp). Bear in mind, my husband is not a bad cook, but he's strictly a stovetop chef unless the package says Swanson. I was very skeptical but he insisted that he and Alton had this. I figured the guy's a tv star, a chef and a quasi food scientist; maybe I'll learn something.

Long story a bit shorter, pretty soon we smell something burning. Yes, (DH's favorite) dishtowel was crisping. Took out the smoking dishtowel, tested one of the eggs, which was nowhere near fully cooked. I boiled water to finish them off, threw out the burnt towel, and aired out the kitchen.

That DH used the dishtowel whose pattern he particularly liked was testimony to his unshakeable faith in Alton, overriding his lifelong understanding of physics and what was very likely to happen to cotton in a hot oven.

Silver lining: In this one fell swoop, DH was cured of his obsession with Alton Brown, FoodTV, and TV chefs who tout convoluted, unlikely recipes. Mention Alton Brown to him now and he's likely to grumble, "That hack cost me my favorite dish towel."

I'm sure you understand why I keep my favorite dish towel under wraps when hubby hits the kitchen.

View attachment 88416
Funny story!

Back