Red-eyes (flights, not eyeballs)...

…..though my eyeballs are actually red...

Do anyone really LIKE red-eyes (y'know, leave at 10 p.m and land at 5 a.m.)

I got off one this morning at 6 a.m., didn't sleep a wink. Felt like I had been beaten with a ballbat. Came home and have been sleeping on and off all day. Now it's 2 a.m. and I'm wide awake, still on Seattle time, I guess.

I always say, "I'M NEVER GOING TO TAKE A REDEYE AGAIN!!!" and then I look at the prices and take a redeye.

I'm getting too old for this flapdoodle.

Red eye, blue eye, green eye, don’t matter to me.
I’ve done a few ‘hops’ but they don’t count.
Now, the trips to China…whoa.
Don’t matter what time of day, 14 hours is killer.
Especially when placed ‘tween two sumo wrestlers.
My elbows had nowhere to go.
Eating became quite the challenge, as they tended to spread out during grazing.
The good news; their arms and shoulders became my pillows.

Anyway, after trips over the pond, the next few days are a bit of a challenge, especially when having to sit thru business meetings.

One can actually sleep with their eyes open.

In '83 I was visiting a ex co-worker who lived in Calif,my flight home from LAX left at 10pm,got into Buffalo at 6am
I couldn't sleep at all on the plane,when I got home I was 'dazed&confused' what time it was. I stayed awake as long as possible,went to bed slept for 12 hrs.
I woke up feeling a lot better.I've never taken another 'red eye' once was enough Sue

Red-Eye...…..nope, no thanks. We have taken a 9PM flight from Colorado to Las Vegas. Couldn't see a thing outside, except a few very tiny lights in the Rocky Mountains. If the flight is a shorter one, generally the airliner doesn't go up as high and, during the day, a person can see more from their window seat.

I hated 'em

Of necessity, red eyes are almost exclusively west to east flights and I had my share of them during my working life. Daytime east to west flights were never a problem. Sure the wall clock might say 9PM and your body thinks its midnight, but you can still get a full night's sleep and wake up refreshed.

Although I generally don't have a problem sleeping on planes, there were two things that made me really hate redeyes. First, the actual flying time between coasts is rarely more than six hours, so best case a person gets no more than about five hours of sleep. I need at least six. Second, for reasons I never understood, it seems there was always a stop about half way around four o'bloody clock in the morning with a 90 minute layover (just to make sure your sleep was thoroughly disrupted). I always pitied people from the left coast who had to take a redeye on their way to a business engagement. Yuk!

Something similar happened on my overnights to Europe. It's five hours from Boston to London, so after four hours or so of sleep, one has to navigate through customs, the airport, the car rental, and then go out and drive on the wrong side of the road. It's made for some interesting experiences!

I rarely fly any more. To say that air travel ain't what it used to be would be a gross understatement. One of the perks of retirement though is not ever having to take overnight flights. :cool:

I only take red eyes when there is very little choice, i.e., traveling internationally. Flying coach is tough on an aging body no matter what. Trying to sleep on a flight makes it even worse. I've made my peace with paying a bit more to take daytime flights.

Sure, adding up the amount of time it takes to travel, counting from the moment I leave my house until the moment I get to my hotel - plus time difference - it requires a full day to travel to the east coast. On the other hand, taking a red eye costs me three days of exhaustion while attempting to re-synch my body after the sleep deprivation of that flight.

And, now...to add insult to injury, I came down with a bad cold on Wednesday. I guess it's to be expected when you spend several hours hurdling through the air in an oversized cigar tube, breathing every else's exhalations.

If I blow my nose one more time, it's going to fall off. I swear.

I always liked flying at midnight, or later, when I was traveling the world. Nothing like feeling that you're in the Twilight Zone, when you're walking through strange airports, all over the world, at 3 AM, local time. Yeah, gimme the mostly deserted airports, the drunks sleeping on benches, inside, the furtive looks of questionable fellow travelers. I'd still be doing it, if the world of air travel wasn't so messed up, these days.

I always liked flying at midnight, or later, when I was traveling the world. Nothing like feeling that you're in the Twilight Zone, when you're walking through strange airports, all over the world, at 3 AM, local time. Yeah, gimme the mostly deserted airports, the drunks sleeping on benches, inside, the furtive looks of questionable fellow travelers. I'd still be doing it, if the world of air travel wasn't so messed up, these days.
Yeah, I’m there with that.

When my folks would go on vacation, they’d start early, I mean way early.
I always thought it was kinda cool, like we were doing something almost wrong.
Nobody else on the road.
Sitting in the back of that packed Chevy, drifting off, faintly hearing their conversation, muted by the hum of the engine.
Quite comforting to this child.

Same with redeyes.

Kinda cool

Much Preferred over the hustle and bustle

Back