Repairing an Electric "Gone with the Wind" Lamp

This has been around a while, but it now needs repair. It works, but almost all the metal parts are rusty and loose to the point I'm afraid to touch it. There a nut underneath, but it's too rusty to turn. It would probably cost half my monthly pension check to have it repaired as all the metal parts below the top globe would need to be replaced, if they could even find the right sized hardware. What would you do?

hurricane lamp 2.jpg

This has been around a while, but it now needs repair. It works, but almost all the metal parts are rusty and loose to the point I'm afraid to touch it. There a nut underneath, but it's too rusty to turn. It would probably cost half my monthly pension check to have it repaired as all the metal parts below the top globe would need to be replaced, if they could even find the right sized hardware. What would you do?

View attachment 262606
Honestly, I would throw it out.
Not my taste in lighting.
Sorry, Deb.

I believe your lamp is likely Victorian and known as a Gone With The Wind or Hurricane lamp. You can do a search on the Internet and find many like it — some quite valuable. If your metalwork can be cleaned and re-plated, great, but that seems unlikely. Somewhere there may be a dealer with hardware (that would fit) from a broken lamp. You could try making some calls. Otherwise, cleaning up the hardware and maybe spraying it with a suitable conservative color?

Look at Lehman's Hardware. They have all type of lamp parts for new & old lamps like that. Also check with antique dealers as they sometimes know of some people who work on those. Also, you may check with an electrician who may like to dabble to see if they can fix it. I have an electric one that was my Grandma's & my husband found parts at Lowe's to replace what wore out. As far as the finish, I would leave it alone. My mom refinished some furniture pieces that had an original finish that was fine but didn't like it which hurt their value.

I would look it over and see if I could find the manufacturer or a date. Perhaps it's antique and could be worth something. Watching Antiques Roadshow on PBS, some people destroy the value of an antique by cleaning it up. Are you sure it's rust you're looking at or tarnish. I would clean it up as best you could and use it. I kinda like it. The rusted nut could be freed with penetrating oil and a little elbow grease.

I don't think it's an antique. I kinda remember my parents getting it with Green Stamps, so probably from the 1960s or 70s. I did call a local electric shop. All they could say was bring it in. I said if the cost was more than half the cost of buying a new lamp. not to bother fixing it. The reply was that they charge a $50 "bench fee". I guess that means even if they can't fix it or get parts, they're still going to make something. Makes me think twice. I had that happen before with a VCR. The guy said he couldn't get parts, but charged me $20 as a "diagnostic fee".

Last edited:
one guy that did a diagnostic on a pond pump put that fee for us towards the cost of a new pump. Guess we may have lucked out. Might ask if he does the same thing if you agree to get it fixed.

I don't think it's an antique. I kinda remember my parents getting it with Green Stamps, so probably from the 1960s or 70s. I did call a local electric shop. All they could say was bring it in. I said if the cost was more than half the cost of buying a new lamp. not to bother fixing it. The reply was that they charge a $50 "bench fee". I guess that means even if they can't fix it or get parts, they're still going to make something. Makes me think twice. I had that happen before with a VCR. The guy said he couldn't get parts, but charged me $20 as a "diagnostic fee".
You are paying for the repair person's TIME. People in business don't do much for free. I sure wouldn't if it were me. JimB.

Some of these lamps are quite valuable, @debodun . Do you know and trust this repair person ? It is possible that he is telling you this and then will repair and sell your lamp himself once he convinces you that it is trash now.
A good repairman should have been able to take it apart without breaking the pieces, or at least let you know that they would break if he did attempt to take the lamp apart, so you could decide whether to have him try or not. It appears that this guy did not give you that option and dismantled the lamp and then told you it is not reparable.

Only my opinion, but I think that this is a beautiful lamp, one that I would definitely keep if I had it (especially if it came from my mother), and I would get the lamp back from him, see what pieces can be repaired or replaced, and look for parts online. Since these lamps sell for so much money, people have to be able to find parts.

6DC61EC2-36CB-4616-A638-1A30D75318E4.jpeg

I went to the electric shop today and got my lamp back. This is the condition in which it was returned. He said it was the only lamp he was never able to fix.

View attachment 264868
Your font and shade are beautiful. Personally, I think an electrician should have been able to fix the lamp. He probably would have to order parts, but they are out there. I just did a quick search & found this link:

https://diylightingsupplies.com/f/how-to-rewire-a-gone-with-the-wind-style-lamp

I have an old floor lamp (guessing around 1920s to 30s) I brought home from my MIL that needs to be rewired & as little refinishing that I need so I can keep it as original as possible. I know I'll need to by parts & I may take a further look at this website.

I had to go to Clifton Park yesterday (about 10 miles away). There's an lamp store there (Schenectady Hardware & Electric), so I took it there. Guy said he could fix it if he could get the rusted nut off the bottom. Today he sent me photos of his work. $107 to repair, but for a family heeirloom, I felt it worth the price:

lamp repair1.jpglamp repair2.jpglamp repair3.jpglamp repair4.jpg

I just got a call from the shop I took it to to be repaired. The tech said it was "beyond repair".

Beyond repair? That's bull, you just need to find someone resourceful and creative enough to fix it.

**I didn't see you had it repaired until after I made my post. Glad you find the right guy to fix it!

Back