Repository for Vintage Photographs That Tell a Story - Share Here...

Cedar stump house, Edgecomb, Washington, approximately 1901

View attachment 344043
This is so cool.
There’s a woman just up the road from us who is building her own home, on a lot she bought , from small trees - mostly birch and pine.
. It’s a bit bigger than this. She’s having a hard time getting electricity to it. The general rule here is that you have to have a septic system and a well to qualify for electricity. Before building this she was living in a modified garbage bin. ( literally )

This is so cool.
There’s a woman just up the road from us who is building her own home, on a lot she bought , from small trees - mostly birch and pine.
. It’s a bit bigger than this. She’s having a hard time getting electricity to it. The general rule here is that you have to have a septic system and a well to qualify for electricity. Before building this she was living in a modified garbage bin. ( literally )

That is interesting. Resourceful and possibly cheaper. If legalities don't get ironed out it may not be.

That is interesting. Resourceful and possibly cheaper. If legalities don't get ironed out it may not be.
I think she will get busted sooner or later. What’s she’s doing isn’t legal but we certainly aren’t going to rat her out. I think she’s very brave to be doing what she’s doing. She’s got to be in her 50’s or 60’s. It’s actually impressive

Fans in NYC following a game of the 1912 World Series by watching a Playograph. What's a playograph ?

From the Wikipedia:

"
The Playograph was a machine or an electric scoreboard used to transmit the details of a baseball game in the era before television. It is approximated by the "gamecast" feature on some sports web sites: it had a reproduction of a baseball diamond, with an inning-by-inning scoreboard, each team's lineup, and it simulated each pitch: a ball, a strike, a hit, an out, and so on.

A telegraph operator, who was watching the game live, transmitted the details of the baseball game to the two people operating the Playograph. An "X" on the diamond represented a runner; an "O" was displayed if the runner got out. A ball was moved animatronically to show fastballs or curveballs, where it was hit, and so on."

441358263_790893306489085_2795306032962256432_n.jpg

Uhhhh, I would not be standing there having my pic taken!
At the time there was a lot of flack about tornado safety, do's and don'ts. The truth is that tornado had already passed and it was moving away from the subject. As I recall it was taken by the mother who had her daughter stand out there so she could get the pic. It wouldn't have been my first thought either.

wild-west-saloon-photos-01.webp

Cowboys enjoy drinks at the Equity Bar in Old Tascosa, Texas, 1907.
These places were also called “watering troughs, bughouses, shebangs, cantinas, grogshops, and gin mills".

Back