Retired and not having the desire to travel

We traveled after our kids went to college and got married....We've travled to Hawaii, Canada, Florida (too many times), We also traveled with
our family to mostly the South....Virginia, Louisiana, Tennessee, and....Many Islands...Granada was our favorite...We stopped going our of the country....Even though there were many that were very beautiful....I'll stay in America!!!!!

As I was reading your account, it came to me that you're probably just "traveled out". You seem to have had your share just in the course of normal living. I was also wondering if since Florida is such a vacation destination, you feel that satisfies the need for vacations. I never wanted to go to Europe so Paris might not excite me either but I do love to travel to oceanfront locations.

Traveling is not for the faint of heart. As others have said, it has become more and more difficult because of the masses of tourists, so I can understand how you might feel "Traveled Out". I have been fortunate enough to have traveled extensively, all for vacations and pleasure. At last count, I have been to 55 foreign countries and every continent except Antarctica, so I don't really have any plans to go overseas any time soon. But I was fortunate enough, when I was still working, to spend 2 years with a company that sent me to just about every state in the USA, so there are still plenty of places here I would like to go back to as a visitor.

I see that you live in Florida so have you any desire to escape the hot/humid summers, at least for a little while?
Not really I love it here humidity is fabulous for my respiratory system and also for my skin LOL! We’ll probably go traveling next year to Gatlinburg up to the Smoky mountains that’s a beautiful area.

Travel very little nowadays. We spend a few weeks each spring and fall at our daughter's cottage in western Maine. It's been a home away fro home, for the past 20 years. She and her family use it during the summer and it's usually snowed in during the winter. Have to park and snowshoe in. Here's a look up from the beach.

Cozy and quaint! When I was a child we would ggo up to Boothbay Harbor For vacation, what beautiful scenery!

As I was reading your account, it came to me that you're probably just "traveled out". You seem to have had your share just in the course of normal living. I was also wondering if since Florida is such a vacation destination, you feel that satisfies the need for vacations. I never wanted to go to Europe so Paris might not excite me either but I do love to travel to oceanfront locations.
I really am a beach person and I’m very satisfied going to the beach weekly and riding our bikes along the beach every other week. Our backyard is full of palm trees and we have a lovely swimming pool with a waterfall what more could I ask for? And it’s also very peaceful here and I don’t have to deal with crowds so thats another plus!

Yap! Travelling is tiring & expensive. Did some research on The Yukon today. If I go there I would fly & rent a car but not drive. It's too far & restaurant meals are mostly bad. By that I mean that the food is expensive, mostly greasy & unhealthy & most restaurants are very noisy places with bad millennial music or blaring TV with sports. Travelling has become a billion dollar industry & there is a lot of pressure to make us go but I am going to resist most of it. Don't like "all inclusive resorts". Just Goggle them & you'll be surprised how awful some of them are. Like the song says, "There's no place like home for the holidays; no matter where you roam."

Not really I love it here humidity is fabulous for my respiratory system and also for my skin LOL! We’ll probably go traveling next year to Gatlinburg up to the Smoky mountains that’s a beautiful area.
So agree, Lc...we live in the hot "mean season" summer area of Texas and generally love it. It is so good for your skin. Your skin is your largest organ of elimination! Got A/C, pool, lots of "canopied" land so what's not to love. Would miss the change of seasons though if we lived in Florida. Spent enough time in SW beach area of the state to kind of know that.

So agree, Lc...we live in the hot "mean season" summer area of Texas and generally love it. It is so good for your skin. Your skin is your largest organ of elimination! Got A/C, pool, lots of "canopied" land so what's not to love. Would miss the change of seasons though if we lived in Florida. Spent enough time in SW beach area of the state to kind of know that.
Yes I do miss my change of seasons the foliage as well as winter time and snow at Christmas time but I have traded that all for year-round sunshine lovely skin and the ability to breathe hooray!

Yes I do miss my change of seasons the foliage as well as winter time and snow at Christmas time but I have traded that all for year-round sunshine lovely skin and the ability to breathe hooray!
Nothing like great breathing, huh. Everyplace you could live has pros and cons. We don't get snow here - thought I would miss it but didn't. Have a nice seasonal weather change and really good leaf and foliage colors this time of year.

Able to use the fireplace during January/ Feb., burn some great big brush piles/roast marshmallows. We planted 2 Sugar Maples some years ago and they are turning a vibrant orange even as we speak...we enjoy it a lot!

Funny, how you and Liberty love the humidity. Proof that everyone is different. I hate humidity and it was the #1 reason I left Florida after only one year of living there (North Palm Beach) in 1987-88. Now I like living in the dry desert climate of Tucson, just wish the temps were lower in the summer here.

I don't know if anyone here knows. In the early 1900's our Tucson Medical Center hosted lots of people who suffered with tuberculosis, the sunshine and dry air here was supposed to help them. They used to have beds out in the open with canopies and to prevent scorpions from climbing up to the bed they had the bed legs resting on cups filled with gasoline.
https://tucson.com/news/science/hea...cle_9b3b6c4f-2a07-57c7-bbbd-60ed524241a8.html

Funny, how you and Liberty love the humidity. Proof that everyone is different. I hate humidity and it was the #1 reason I left Florida after only one year of living there (North Palm Beach) in 1987-88. Now I like living in the dry desert climate of Tucson, just wish the temps were lower in the summer here.

I don't know if anyone here knows. In the early 1900's our Tucson Medical Center hosted lots of people who suffered with tuberculosis, the sunshine and dry air here was supposed to help them. They used to have beds out in the open with canopies and to prevent scorpions from climbing up to the bed they had the bed legs resting on cups filled with gasoline.
https://tucson.com/news/science/hea...cle_9b3b6c4f-2a07-57c7-bbbd-60ed524241a8.html
Yes, we're all different aren't we. Some people simply can't take the heat, others, like us detest the DRY & cold weather. The dryness gets my skin big time. Humidity is good for your skin and guess we wouldn't be able to afford our "lotion" payments...lol.

I retired two years ago and we relocated from Nevada to Florida. Is it strange that I don’t feel like traveling at all? I would think as a new retiree that I would be ready to travel around and see the world but I have no desire to. My daughter and I are going to France next year and even that is not exciting me. I did travel around a lot with my family when I was young we would move every few years with my father’s job and then I married a man who was in the service and we moved around for 10 years. Could it be that I am just traveled out? How about some insight?
I'm sure after all that moving around this person would be ready to settle down in one spot. I would probably feel the same way.

I'm the odd one here since I have traveled since then, now and won't quit as long as I'm able to. I can't go overseas now with travel restrictions in many countries. I never thought Americans will be un-welcome 😔. I'm glad California has plenty of places to explore.

I retired two years ago and we relocated from Nevada to Florida. Is it strange that I don’t feel like traveling at all? I would think as a new retiree that I would be ready to travel around and see the world but I have no desire to. My daughter and I are going to France next year and even that is not exciting me. I did travel around a lot with my family when I was young we would move every few years with my father’s job and then I married a man who was in the service and we moved around for 10 years. Could it be that I am just traveled out? How about some insight?
I feel the same way. I had to travel for work and when I was in college lived abroad for a summer. I have had the privilege of seeing so much. Now I am happy to be home and hang out with friends and go places for the day.

Lc,
You could very well be "traveled out." When you traveled overseas in conjunction with the military, you actually lived there and probably visited other nearby countries as well. You got the "full experience." I was in the Navy for 31 years and lived overseas for nine years in addition to visiting numerous countries while assigned to ships.
My wife and I have made two trips to Europe as civilians in the last 12 years and we are "Traveled Out" just like you. Among our reasons for not finding travel very exciting include:
Many airports are a mess, and going through security is well …..
Long flights have become flat-out unpleasant with lots of additional irritating fees.
Packing and unpacking, well ……
Americans are not welcomed like they used to be.
Long lines, forget it.
Crime has picked up in many countries and Americans seem to be targets.
and finally, there is a lot to be seen right here in the USA and our tastes have changed.
Pecos—I agree with you 100%. After spending 30 years in the military and doing more traveling than I ever imagined I would ever do, I am also traveled out. I have no desire to travel anymore. I was trying to think of somewhere to go and stay for maybe a week and every time I came up with a place to go, I came up with 5 reasons why not to go. Just no desire.

I started traveling 20 years ago once my kids were launched. At 68 time can be short so I have stepped it up. Last year I went to Ireland, this year 5 countries, 2024 France and 2025 Italy again. I may be done after that.

Back