Ridiculous Prices. What Have You Seen?

We do not eat much beef due to high prices the last few years. We were at Winn Dixie a couple weeks ago and I saw a couple of different steaks, one was priced at $24.99/ lb the other was $28.99/ lb. I can't believe average people can afford those prices.

I've been getting requests from my car dealership to trade in my new Honda Accord Hybrid & get another new one. They're prepared to give me MORE than I paid for it last year. :oops: It only has 6,500 miles on it. I think the world has gone crazy.

I've been getting requests from my car dealership to trade in my new Honda Accord Hybrid & get another new one. They're prepared to give me MORE than I paid for it last year. :oops: It only has 6,500 miles on it. I think the world has gone crazy.
How much more would a new one be than what you paid for your current car?

When I was running out of green tea, I looked on Walmart.com That was a little over a month ago. They had one box of 48 listed for $9.46!! Thinking maybe that was a mistake, I just checked again today before posting this. Now one box is $15.43!!! Have they lost their minds?! I once saw that Amazon listed six boxes for a ridiculously high price, so I didn't buy it. But at the time I saw the Walmart price, Amazon's price had come down so that a pack of 8 boxes came to $3.00 a box after my 5% cash back. I jumped on it.

In Walmart's store, I saw a can of Lysol, previously about $3.49 for $6 and change. Now I notice the website has it listed for $6.00. I've been buying disinfectant spray from Dollar Tree for $1.00. The can is a little smaller than the Lysol can.

My album was selling on Amazon a while back for close to $1,000 (for one). I thought that was hilarious and hoped nobody would be foolish enough to pay that price. It was being sold as a rare item. Thing is, I wouldn't have gotten one penny from that sale. :( What ridiculous prices have you seen lately?
I haven't seen those prices and I buy from Amazon. However, I am like you and will go to the dollar store before I buy at those prices!

I've never seen Jazz apples...never heard of them and I've shopped for fruit at the big Shoprite supermarket, Walmarts and Whole Foods, as well as our local supermarket which is smaller, so has limited choices.
They are grown around the world, but apparently in the US just on the West Coast. They have a unique tart sweet taste. Locally (SF Bay Area) I see them in Trader Joes and most supermarkets. TJ's has them in a smaller size that I personally prefer. Got a half dozen in the frige right now.

My grandson loves honey crisp apples!

Now I know I'm comparing apples to oranges, but Cara Cara oranges are in the market here now. They're an early orange from California and I can only find them at Aldi's. They are so delicious, I can't even describe them.
If you can find them, have him try an "Opal" apple. They're incredible.

They are grown around the world, but apparently in the US just on the West Coast. They have a unique tart sweet taste. Locally (SF Bay Area) I see them in Trader Joes and most supermarkets. TJ's has them in a smaller size that I personally prefer. Got a half dozen in the frige right now.
My son sometimes goes to Trader Joe's but I'm not a fan of tart fruit (even slightly tart), so I won't ask him to check and see if TJs has them.
@RadishRose Most fruit just doesn't taste as good as it used to to me. And no it's not my taste buds because I've come across the occasional good tasting apple and had some of the sweetest grapes last month. They were in an edible arrangement basket and they were so good! Even the bananas aren't as sweet as they used to be. What are they doing to our fruit supply?! My son won't eat seedless fruit (if it's supposed to have seeds).

My DIL had hooked up lots of people to a friend who was bringing watermelons up here to Jersey from his farm down south. It is thought that the ones from the southern states taste better. So he sold a truck full of them at $10 a pop in one day.

Prices are noticeably up across the board. Over the past six months wholesale apparel (DH & my small business) has gone up a minimum of 10%-15%. Those increases will soon appear in online and brick-and-mortar stores. Paper goods, household supplies, personal care items and food are up at least the same amount.

We don't eat meat so I've only noticed skyrocketing meat prices when I bought some "real" sausage for part of Christmas dinner, or when cruising the meat counter out of curiosity. The hubs complains about the cost of lumber and other supplies at hardware stores.

Amazon trained us all to believe that their prices are the lowest, which was once true but no longer. Before buying from them I check eBay, Walmart.com and other sites.

I fear the worldwide economy is in for a rough ride. If so, it will soon be more important than ever to comparison shop, stock up during sales, cook/bake from scratch, and be flexible.

Most of us were raised by Depression era parents and know how to pull back our expenses. Hope our children can do the same.

If you look back at the inflation and meat boycotts of the 60s and 70s they changed the way American's shop.

I'm curious to see what, if any, long-term impact this supply chain disruption will have on the choices we make.

I know that I've stopped buying some of the frozen entrees and convenience foods.

I'm doing a little more cooking using the basic inexpensive foods that I grew up with.

Even if things like eggs, beans, cabbage, oatmeal, and milk double in price they will still be bargains.

im-351321
im-350869

Last edited:
My son sometimes goes to Trader Joe's but I'm not a fan of tart fruit (even slightly tart), so I won't ask him to check and see if TJs has them.
@RadishRose Most fruit just doesn't taste as good as it used to to me. And no it's not my taste buds because I've come across the occasional good tasting apple and had some of the sweetest grapes last month. They were in an edible arrangement basket and they were so good! Even the bananas aren't as sweet as they used to be. What are they doing to our fruit supply?! My son won't eat seedless fruit (if it's supposed to have seeds).

My DIL had hooked up lots of people to a friend who was bringing watermelons up here to Jersey from his farm down south. It is thought that the ones from the southern states taste better. So he sold a truck full of them at $10 a pop in one day.
Fruit is picked to early and then kept in cold storage. That's why it's tasteless.

It seems that virtually everything at the grocery stores has gone up substantially in price, in the past few months. Gasoline prices are 1/3rd higher this Winter, compared to previous years. The "official" inflation rates likely don't reflect the prices most people are paying.
The "official inflation" rate is always a lie! The reason, here in Canada at least, is that the Canadian Pension Plan is indexed to inflation. So the government lies so it can get away with just giving us "nickels and dimes". It's been like this for years. Apparently, the last report said that the inflation was 4.7%. If you believe that you have not been shopping or perhaps live on a different planet.

By the way, I don't have a problem with crazy prices because I refuse to buy anything that I consider a "consumer ripoff." I always believed, "A Fool and his money are quickly parted."

When I was running out of green tea, I looked on Walmart.com That was a little over a month ago. They had one box of 48 listed for $9.46!! Thinking maybe that was a mistake, I just checked again today before posting this. Now one box is $15.43!!! Have they lost their minds?! I once saw that Amazon listed six boxes for a ridiculously high price, so I didn't buy it. But at the time I saw the Walmart price, Amazon's price had come down so that a pack of 8 boxes came to $3.00 a box after my 5% cash back. I jumped on it.

In Walmart's store, I saw a can of Lysol, previously about $3.49 for $6 and change. Now I notice the website has it listed for $6.00. I've been buying disinfectant spray from Dollar Tree for $1.00. The can is a little smaller than the Lysol can.

My album was selling on Amazon a while back for close to $1,000 (for one). I thought that was hilarious and hoped nobody would be foolish enough to pay that price. It was being sold as a rare item. Thing is, I wouldn't have gotten one penny from that sale. :( What ridiculous prices have you seen lately?
What album are you talking about for 1000 dollars

Back